Melt the Nautilus for the Ares?

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
When you spool up QT it does take into consideration objects in your path within a few km out. But I understand not wanting to calculate all of the objects in your path as that would be a huge load on the server along with the little code tricks they do in QT interdiction dropping you in front of asteroids or other things that technically don't exist as a permitted in-game items but are created dynamically in that moment. This way my qt interdiction being dumped out at a lone asteroid field to have some entertaining pirate dogfighting doesn't impact your trade route flight along a similar path.

They talked about this a little when they introduced the Mantis as it required changing some of the QT logic to allow for players to interdiction each other and future NPC's. Its much easier for a server to randomly say you are being interdiction and dynamically create the content around you as you drop out of warp then it is to say your warp path takes you into a pre-existing interdiction bubble.
It'll be hella interesting to see how they get everything to work. Interdiction being a big one.

Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
The way I look at it, the minefield usage is that it targets ships physically entering an area. If you QT to inside the range of a minefield, then it would detect you and you'd be subject to the minefields missile attacks. But if your QT traverses a minefield, as long as it continues through and beyond it's range, the minefield would have no effect on you. Keep in mind your QT velocity is somewhere in the vicinity of 20% C or about 60,000,000 m/s so in one second you would be far beyond the range of any missile.

Ideally, to do this what you'd want is to have a quantum interdiction such that an interdiction occurs, and dumps the victim into the minefield. Then they would be vulnerable. Not only vulnerable, but for precious seconds they would not be able to do anything about the situation. That seems to me to be a tall order to set this up, but you theoretically could.
Good points. Ok, so it makes sense for QT to bypass minefields etc. But yeah, being able to drop a target into a minefield... That would be awesome!

Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane
I feel the same way. Love the idea, but then I use my realistic brain on it, and it doesn't make sense. Same as the Mantis. Space is too big
More space = more potential paid work!

Besides, you can target areas around important places as good mining spots, outposts, alien derelicts or noice salvageable wrecks, or that Bengal awaiting repair before fun!

Of course around jump points and alongside common QT routes.

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane
Honestly the only thing that keeps me from buying ships like a Nautilus or Polaris is the crew requirement, I feel the pressure to have a full human crew will be high and if you don't have a ton of time to play which I don't it makes running or operating these larger ships much more difficult imo. Outside of that I love these ships and if I were retired or not working because I won the lottery I would be operating them for sure lol
Crew requirement? get a bunch NPCs and go!

Running those ships should not be a problem. They start with ammo, fuel, etc, so grab a mission and enjoy!

Reactions: Blind Owl

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane
Every 2nd person in the verse will own an Ares or 2. You could easily get your hands on one anytime. Who is going to have a Nautilus for you to borrow if you need one? Always go by rarity I say.

Edit: Some day there will be a use for it and we won't have enough around :( , my 2 cents
I have a solstice one. Does it help? :-)

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane
everyone buying caps. I'm over here sitting on my Starlifter, MM, and a Orion.lol
Me too! And got already every capital ship I need (unless they sell a new nice concept sale, but I doubt it...). But I am thinking about grabbing 4 Ares instead of 2 Ares and maybe a Carrack... argh

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane
So far QT doesn't seem to take into consideration anything other than moons and planets in the way of the target location. So I'd fully expect to be able to QT through a minefield.
Yeah, you QT through a minefield and if you hit a mine the QT engine stops and you are dead meat as the rest of the minefield will attack you.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
More space = more potential paid work!

Besides, you can target areas around important places as good mining spots, outposts, alien derelicts or noice salvageable wrecks, or that Bengal awaiting repair before fun!

Of course around jump points and alongside common QT routes.
Yup. All the logical spots. Defensive mining to protect assets. I'm very familiar with this tactic. All part of as defensive plan to either block, turn, delay, etc.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I think a Nautilus wing of 3-4 ships would be a blast in Vanduul space. They can't blow up their big ships if their computers are down. Drop a Harvester jumping out of Orion into a field filled with Suckerpunch mines, and suddenly all those Naut crews have huge cash value. Wanna guess what a Harvester filled with plunder is worth in the UEE world?

I am excited by the Sons of Orion storyline. There is money to be made by good-guy pirates there. Even if you just blow a Harvester up, you make good pesos, and a minefield in the right place could do that again, and again, and again.

If you wanna play a rebel insurgent, the Sons of Orion is for you.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I think a Nautilus wing of 3-4 ships would be a blast in Vanduul space. They can't blow up their big ships if their computers are down. Drop a Harvester jumping out of Orion into a field filled with Suckerpunch mines, and suddenly all those Naut crews have huge cash value. Wanna guess what a Harvester filled with plunder is worth in the UEE world?

I am excited by the Sons of Orion storyline. There is money to be made by good-guy pirates there. Even if you just blow a Harvester up, you make good pesos, and a minefield in the right place could do that again, and again, and again.

If you wanna play a rebel insurgent, the Sons of Orion is for you.
I'm really looking forward to exploring this storyline. You've been talking about it for years now, and u think it'll be a great place for us to sink our teeth into the privateering side of things.

Reactions: Vavrik

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
My guess is that vtaking the player out of the loop required for an interdiction would make it too powerful. Right now the dynamic as planned requires at least one player in the right place at the right time, which definitely limits the use of interdiction. Pull out the player(s) and that dynamic would run amuck.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Yes, The Sons of Orion is planned as a central feature to the PU, and revolves around a group of survivors of the Vanduul annexation of Orion. It will involve a series of missions that grow more and more complex and difficult, that primarily involve fighting/thwarting/killing the Vanduul in and around the Orion system. Note that Vanduul swarm was designed as a mere placeholder, and that if your interest is primarily in killing Vanduul, and effecting the fate of the galaxy, you'll want to play SOO missions. If this is your main interest, it was recommended you'll want to play through SQ42 first and perhaps even pick up an F8.

Forgot your password?