Most wanted ship ? .

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Honorable Mention: I am still fascinated by the possibilities of the Carrack with 2 Ballista's added. One sitting atop the hangar bay, and one slid half way into the vehicle bay gives 4X Hellion VII torps is 400k+ alpha strike damage, plus 4X4 Scimitar V is 150k+ on each of 4 strikes. If when modules come onboard they are open and will allow the Carack to fire Balistas out port and starboard cargo pods, double all that again. The Carrack is a wonderful ride all but its lack of firepower, so adding just 2 Ballistas seems way more than enough to me to make it home. I don't think enough players appreciate what the firepower of 2 Ballistas really brings to the game, so sum up and just call this an Idris killer. The Carrack is blazing fast, maneuverable, has incredible range, drones, medbay, crypto-lab with holo-display, engineering repair shop, double bridge decks, and sensors galore. All it really lacks is missiles, and 4S7 + 16S5 is shocking firepower.
While it's certainly a possibility, the hangar bay is an awkward position for a Ballista to be in. Not only is it sort of time consuming to get a ballista up there, I'm fairly sure the firing arc is a bit unfortunate as well, and pointed in a rather untenable direction.
Think it'd be much easier with 890J with that hangar bay elevator allowing for two to three ballistas to fire with very little restraint. (Though getting them up there is just as cumbersome)
Liberator wouldn't be bad either.

Well. Now I'm exited for Liberator as well. And 890J. And Carrack.
download (8).png

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I have been looking at the Carrack especially the correct of I'm wrong the cbx explorer edition I think the ability to have a smaller ship to use as a scout or even to help in a sticky situation would be pretty cool 😎 .
The remarkable thing about the Carrack that is not obvious at first glance is that several ships can be perched atop the closed hangar bay and will stay put during flight. For instance, three Arrows can be placed up there, turning the Carrack into a small carrier. There are lots of great vids online of Carrack crew exploits, the Skunkworks, the Raccoons, even a vid of a Carrack crew fending off a team of boarders and discovering how the med bay became the central target of the ship because that's where crew respawn.

I don't own a Carrack, but my contention has been for a long time that it is really worth sticking Ballistas both on top and half way into the vehicle garage. That's what ought to give it overwhelming firepower.

Nothing against the little Pisces, but the only thing to recommend it is that is it so very tiny. It's not actually good at anything except being tiny. So putting the hangar to other uses like storing missiles and torps has some serious merit.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Not only is it sort of time consuming to get a Ballista up there, I'm fairly sure the firing arc is a bit unfortunate as well, and pointed in a rather untenable direction.
Look at it again and think about it. Both positions place the missiles facing directly forward along the Carrack's centerline. They could not be more centrally located. I think you must think I'm describing something other than what I'm thinking.

What is not obvious is how to get a Ballista up onto the dorsal hull, but we described that in detail some months back. There are several ways to do it within a minute or so. For example, slide the Carrack up against one of the sky platforms and simply drive onto it.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Look at it again and think about it. Both positions place the missiles facing directly forward along the Carrack's centerline. They could not be more centrally located. I think you must think I'm describing something other than what I'm thinking.
I mean the Ballista is in a pit, you need to tilt the nose down like 30 or 45 degrees to bring the target into view for the top ballista and should you want to fire backwards or sidewards there's even more obstacles... Hmm... or can it lock onto the target through Carrack hull?

What is not obvious is how to get a Ballista up onto the dorsal hull, but we described that in detail some months back. There are several ways to do it within a minute or so. For example, slide the Carrack up against one of the sky platforms and simply drive onto it.
Yes, once you are in location where you can do so with Carrack and Ballista, it'll be relatively simple. But you can't do it just anywhere, right? If you're in the wrong place, you might need to do a bit of a detour. Or maybe use like a Herc. Assuming you got one in the location you're at.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
I have been looking at the Carrack especially the correct of I'm wrong the cbx explorer edition I think the ability to have a smaller ship to use as a scout or even to help in a sticky situation would be pretty cool 😎 .
Dont be fooled by the C8X edition.

The base carrack also includes a C8 Pisces (C8 base version here not C8X, difference is just 2 guns and ship skin) and an Ursa rover. They do not appear on the ship description in hangar but they are included.

So the C8X Expedition edition is just a very expensive upgrade for the base Carrack for just 2 more guns and a different skin (white and red). Same for the Carrack Expedition vs base Carrack, no difference exept the skin, very high price for what it adds. But if you are a collector it is justified ^^
Basically it is 45$ if you want to upgrade a base Carrack to a Carrack Expedition with C8X. And you just have a different skin for both Carrack and Pisces, and the C8X has 2 more guns, but other than that all stats are the same for the Carrack and the C8X vs C8.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
A Panther/Pegasus someday, if that is possible to capture and board. That will be a nice capital ship hive for our YellowJackets. Downside is no storing it when logged off.

Or some Vanduul frigate or corvette.

But with current available ships well, I'm pretty much covered, waiting for their release, but I'd say a Polaris. When we will need to travel through many systems or fight the Vanduuls, this will be a nice militia support ship with a few friends.
If they would let us buy a Pegasus and started showing actual progress, I would consider it.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Dont be fooled by the C8X edition.

The base carrack also includes a C8 Pisces (C8 base version here not C8X, difference is just 2 guns and ship skin) and an Ursa rover. They do not appear on the ship description in hangar but they are included.

So the C8X Expedition edition is just a very expensive upgrade for the base Carrack for just 2 more guns and a different skin (white and red). Same for the Carrack Expedition vs base Carrack, no difference exept the skin, very high price for what it adds. But if you are a collector it is justified ^^
Basically it is 45$ if you want to upgrade a base Carrack to a Carrack Expedition with C8X. And you just have a different skin for both Carrack and Pisces, and the C8X has 2 more guns, but other than that all stats are the same for the Carrack and the C8X vs C8.
Coincidentally the C8x is $45. So for the same price you could have a Carrack with a C8 and a C8x.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I mean the Ballista is in a pit. . .
Yeah, I think we're just not connecting here. To be more clear, we're talking about leaving the Carrack hangar bay doors closed and parking on top of them. Players have found that you can do this with at least three ships (Arrows) at a time and the local gravity of the Carrack will hold them in place during flight, just as if they were in the hangar. The challenge with doing this with a Ballista is that you need to drive it on rather than fly/land it on.

Sticking a Ballista in the vehicle bay is in a sense harder and I've no idea if it can be done because you need to reverse the way the missiles are stored aboard the Ballista so they point backward. Again I don't know anyone who has done this nor if it can be done. I just know there is room for the missiles sticking out because of the loading exploits of others.

In both instances the missiles are just a few degrees off centerliine but the target lock angle on all the missiles is now 23* (used to be 11*), so easily within parameters.

Carrack2.png

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
Also you previously could get *just* the C8->C8X upgrade for $20 if you had just a base Carrack. Not sure if this is still offered but it's what I did and don't regret the choice. C8X is surprisingly capable and is often my go-to ship for short errands. I almost always use it to run the 890J mission because it's actually a GREAT fighter for its size and has no trouble taking out the two Cutty Blacks that spawn, then you shoot all the guys in the 890J hangar bay with the Bulldogs, and land in the hanger, giving yourself more time to find the uplink opposed to going through the side airlocks. Then when you're all done, just blast down to the Commons to spend all that freshly earned aUEC, and store your new loot in the Pisces hold!

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Yeah, I think we're just not connecting here. To be more clear, we're talking about leaving the Carrack hangar bay doors closed and parking on top of them. Players have found that you can do this with at least three ships (Arrows) at a time and the local gravity of the Carrack will hold them in place during flight, just as if they were in the hangar. The challenge with doing this with a Ballista is that you need to drive it on rather than fly/land it on.
Ohh. Okey, yeah, I see it now. I was entirely unaware that you could hold a ballista there with the hangar bay doors closed, I guess I was tripped up by how, if you exit the doors above the hangar bay there is no gravity, (unless they've changed that as well), so I always just assumed there'd be no gravity above hangar bay doors either.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Yes well, again to remind, I have never seen a Ballista atop a Carrack. I have mentioned this before, because even just one added to the firepower of a Carrack is a game changer, but I don't own a Carrack and in the months since I made the observation, I'm still not aware of anyone having done it yet. I haven't been sharing the idea outside TEST for good reasons. I don't want anyone here to face an Uber-Carrack in battle.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Also you previously could get *just* the C8->C8X upgrade for $20 if you had just a base Carrack. Not sure if this is still offered but it's what I did and don't regret the choice. C8X is surprisingly capable and is often my go-to ship for short errands. I almost always use it to run the 890J mission because it's actually a GREAT fighter for its size and has no trouble taking out the two Cutty Blacks that spawn, then you shoot all the guys in the 890J hangar bay with the Bulldogs, and land in the hanger, giving yourself more time to find the uplink opposed to going through the side airlocks. Then when you're all done, just blast down to the Commons to spend all that freshly earned aUEC, and store your new loot in the Pisces hold!
It was only offered that one time.

My favorite is still the video of the guy that dropped the Tonk into the hangar bay.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Yes well, again to remind, I have never seen a Ballista atop a Carrack. I have mentioned this before, because even just one added to the firepower of a Carrack is a game changer, but I don't own a Carrack and in the months since I made the observation, I'm still not aware of anyone having done it yet. I haven't been sharing the idea outside TEST for good reasons. I don't want anyone here to face an Uber-Carrack in battle.
View: https://youtu.be/b0PXRdb0s4Y

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Wow. Great vid. Thanks for this. It actually appears there is room for a pair of Ballista side by side on top, though I'm uncertain whether you could enter the one on the starboard side or if the door ramp would not function. Certainly worth investigation.

S7 torps are nasty, as are the S5 missiles. Looks like a battle-wagon from the abyss.

If I owned a Carrack, I'd not only want to try to fit 2 Ballista on it, but I'd want to investigate of the shield refresh of the Carrack was enhanced by the refresh of the Ballista shields, how survivable the Ballista is with shields up and Carrack shields up, etc. Regardless of those results, this is an impressive combination.

Looks like this relatively new org, "Apheliun" is worth keeping an eye on. I would not want to meet this Uber-Carrack in battle.

View: https://youtu.be/nyESlmg6fIY

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
That is unfortunate, but since missiles and torps are used at distances greater than guns, perhaps it does not matter that much. Ballista would be vulnerable to fighters, but the fighters are very vulnerable to the Carrack manned turrets.

What is "Terada"?

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Wow. Great vid. Thanks for this. It actually appears there is room for a pair of Ballista side by side on top, though I'm uncertain whether you could enter the one on the starboard side or if the door ramp would not function. Certainly worth investigation.

S7 torps are nasty, as are the S5 missiles. Looks like a battle-wagon from the abyss.

If I owned a Carrack, I'd not only want to try to fit 2 Ballista on it, but I'd want to investigate of the shield refresh of the Carrack was enhanced by the refresh of the Ballista shields, how survivable the Ballista is with shields up and Carrack shields up, etc. Regardless of those results, this is an impressive combination.

Looks like this relatively new org, "Apheliun" is worth keeping an eye on. I would not want to meet this Uber-Carrack in battle.

View: https://youtu.be/nyESlmg6fIY
They haven't met my Eclipse. :)

Forgot your password?