Need whiskey recommendations

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Penderyn Welsh Whiskey, its made about 10 miles away from my home. Award winning single malt, very nice

View attachment 18748
That is good. I would not call it great, but it has a place in my cabinet reserved for it.
All these are my opinion. I like what I like and you don’t have to like what I do.

I take it you don’t want to buy something like the Macallen 25 (honestly, its good, but way overpriced and possibly overrated because of the name.)

I prefer bourbon over scotch, so most of mine are bourbons. If you like scotch, you need to say if you like heavily peated or light peat as it makes a huge difference.

My absolute personal favorite is William Larue Weller wheated bourbon. Unfortunately, it is pricey, hard to find stores that can get it, and I can’t find it at all some years. It’s also probably out of your price range. It’s smoother than most bourbons, aged well, and bottled strong. I prefer higher proofs, and with higher proofs, they can open up with a little water. Also...NO ICE!!!! If you need ice, get something you won’t ruin.

My go to bourbon for gifts and for when I want a drink (not often) is Jefferson Reserve or Jefferson very small batch. Both are good, but again, are on the pricier side, but within your budget. Since I only have 1-2 drinks a month, I go with the good stuff.

Bookers is good, but again on the more expensive side. Makers mark is probably the best of the mass market, but not something to write home about. Just say no to jack daniels or Jim beam.

I have no experience with Pappy Van Winkle, but I did not like Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare the one time I had them. Ymmv

there are some very good Rye’s out there too, but again, I don’t have much experience with them.

none of the stuff I recommend would I consider contaminating with something else, not even water, and DEFINITELY NO ICE, or even those cold rocks. You want to have it body temp to let the flavors come out. It’s something to savor over 30-45 minutes during the course of conversation, not something to pound back.
NB, I am not a trained taster, judge, etc. I just like that I like and if like something different, that‘s ok in my book.
oh, and if you go for the better whiskeys, get the right glass to go with it. It does make a difference.

Last edited:

GarikDuvall

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 3, 2018
RSI Handle
Garik_Duvall
When it comes to whiskey, I'm a fan of the 'wheaters' (meaning after corn, wheat is the next highest ingredient).

Makers Mark is a good inexpensive one, then moving a slight step up is Larceny, which is one of my favs. Above that would be the Weller's (but good luck finding it unless you're in OH, KY, TN). After that you basically (or quite literally) have to win the lottery to get Pappy Van Winkle (the holy grail of wheat bourbon).

For Irish, I like Jameson. My 'go to' for filling up a flask. It's just a good, smooth blend.

For Scotch, I'm not versed enough to make a good recommendation, but like Thalstan mentioned you need to know if ya like peat (aka fire moss) or not.

Forgot your password?