Oculus Rift On Amazon For $399.00

Vindictive69

Commander
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Vindictive69
Considering the original price was 599 for the headset and 199 for the touch controllers that go to it, ya.. its a good deal right now if you want to make the plunge. As far as i can tell its a summer sale price and you can get it for that price on the main web site also.

Vindictive69

Commander
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Vindictive69
Vive or GTFO

No seriously. Vives are pre-built to be up-gradable. So Oculus will only keep up until they can sell you another headset. That, and fuck Palmer Luckey
What exactly is up-gradable on the vive? And luckey is no longer with them.. which actually sucks.
The touch controllers are better designed than the vives and the headset is more comfortable and all vive tech is actually tech from valve which licenses it to whoever they want.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
What exactly is up-gradable on the vive? And luckey is no longer with them.. which actually sucks.
The touch controllers are better designed than the vives and the headset is more comfortable and all vive tech is actually tech from valve which licenses it to whoever they want.
The vive is built with an extra USB in the mask, removable/replacable screens, modular/upgradable headstrap, front-facing camera for future applications, customizable facepads are available, and they are currently developing the Knuckle controllers that will be 100% compatible with the current Vive generation (And they look WAY beyond oculus' touch). Facebook wanted to build a cash cow. Valve wanted to build a new medium in gaming. Also have fun with buying the extra equipment for roomscale and hooking that up. Its a nightmare on the oculus and apparently the tracking on the hands is a tad laggy when roomscale. Oh, and Palmer Luckey is a piece of human shit.

So there's that.

Vindictive69

Commander
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Vindictive69
The vive is built with an extra USB in the mask, removable/replacable screens, modular/upgradable headstrap, front-facing camera for future applications, customizable facepads are available, and they are currently developing the Knuckle controllers that will be 100% compatible with the current Vive generation (And they look WAY beyond oculus' touch). Facebook wanted to build a cash cow. Valve wanted to build a new medium in gaming. Also have fun with buying the extra equipment for roomscale and hooking that up. Its a nightmare on the oculus and apparently the tracking on the hands is a tad laggy when roomscale. Oh, and Palmer Luckey is a piece of human shit.

So there's that.
All i hear is cha-ching.. 800 for vive.. need new head strap.. need to buy valves knuckles. Ya.. ill give ya that it sucks that facebook owns anything.. but the price difference just doesnt justify a cool front facing camera that is just for detecting if your walking into something. Room scale is a little gimmicky right now until the wireless headset generation kicks in.. the 3 meter cord (or however long it is) kind of ruins that. When they get the next gen out then ill be more thrilled about room scale.. but i wont buy an HTC anything so it will be from some other valve partner that i can also buy the knuckles for cuz they will be compatible since its all based on valve tech (even the lighthouses).
Also.. its easier for me to take the headset and a couple cameras over friends houses and set it up than the vive.. so theres that.
Im just saying.. HTC doesnt have anything worth twice the cost right now and when something is out that is worth that price i wont be looking to upgrade a wired headset.. ill be getting the wireless one for real room scale and less hassle.

Reactions: StdDev

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
All i hear is cha-ching.. 800 for vive.. need new head strap.. need to buy valves knuckles. Ya.. ill give ya that it sucks that facebook owns anything.. but the price difference just doesnt justify a cool front facing camera that is just for detecting if your walking into something. Room scale is a little gimmicky right now until the wireless headset generation kicks in.. the 3 meter cord (or however long it is) kind of ruins that. When they get the next gen out then ill be more thrilled about room scale.. but i wont buy an HTC anything so it will be from some other valve partner that i can also buy the knuckles for cuz they will be compatible since its all based on valve tech (even the lighthouses).
Also.. its easier for me to take the headset and a couple cameras over friends houses and set it up than the vive.. so theres that.
Im just saying.. HTC doesnt have anything worth twice the cost right now and when something is out that is worth that price i wont be looking to upgrade a wired headset.. ill be getting the wireless one for real room scale and less hassle.
You may hear a lot of cha-chinging, but what you fail to realize is that those expenditures do not happen all at once (Nor are they all necessary). This is the whole intended purpose of the up-gradable modularity. Sure, the cable is annoying, but they're making a wireless upgrade; For the vive. If oculus 2 comes out with 4k per eye, you can bet your ass that you'd have to buy a whole new HMD. Vive, on the other hand, is designed from the start to accept an upgrade. Thus a hypethetical $400 for a new Oculus 2.0 vs a hypothetical $120 upgrade to an existing vive. Its the classic console vs PC argument. Flexible upgradable hardware vs quickly outdated generational hardware. To each their own, my friend. I had the oculus DK2 before it ever hit the streets, so I have no particular brand loyalty to speak of. I just want to see the industry thrive and I happen to think that Valve's approach is the right one.

/$0.02

Vindictive69

Commander
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Vindictive69
Ill give ya the console vs pc argument. I have not seen anything on upgrading the vive visuals so ill take your word for it. I do not begrudge vive owners.. its a personal choice for peoples own reasons. To me the first gen stuff is basically get whatever is more convenient and in your budget even if its a cell phone setup. It's very cool tech and the games pretty much are available on various platforms. Gen 2 will be the battleground and more than likely will take me towards a valve hardware partner but we shall see. Also... lets not forget the PS4 VR. If you have a PS4 that would be the way I'd go. All 3 are equally cool and people pick one over the other for their own reasons. Im sure we all have a whole lot of things we looked at before deciding. :) Everyone that owns any of them are playing with very cool tech and they are all equally as fun. There are a dozen different companies working on their own versions right now so the future is truly bright and fun.

Cheers to all Vive, Oculus and PSVR comrades in cool fun!!! :D

Reactions: Han Burgundy
Forgot your password?