Profession starter ships

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
When I think "best damn space sim ever" I expect to be travelling the stars, not making the shuttle run from Phoebus to Europa.
I am sure you can travel the stars especially if you team up with others and are either part of a multiplayer ship crew or join a flotilla. As for those ships that are going to make a habit of traveling the stars you'd want to look towards the large explore ships. But then you have to ask yourself what sort of gameplay loop are you looking for? Because jumping from one planet to another inside Stanton a small system takes 15 plus minutes of waiting when you could spend the same amount of time running missions, mining etc.

And when I think of space sim SC has it in spades honestly even making a shuttle run from Phoebus to Europa would be all part of a space sim and being able to take off from Area 18 clear the atmosphere then warp to Wala to visit a small podunk mining outpost is very much in keeping with the sim like atmosphere and a lot of fun. Not sure how being limited in fuel and jump drives diminishes from the space sim part nor how not going from solar system to solar system diminishes the experience or limited the playability when there is so much to see or do just within one planetary orbit let alone a whole system.

KuruptU4Fun

Vice Admiral
Dec 10, 2021
RSI Handle
KuruptU4Fun68
25 years from now I am unlikely to care. Given the rate of technological advancement, CIG is likely to be a distant memory for most of us, 25 years from now.

Light haulers depends on what you classify as light. Smaller than a Cutlass is likely to be restricted to in system due to fuel range. The intent of the Cutlass was stated as limited endurance. Now if light haulers starts at the Freelancer, then, sure.
Only due to Alzheimer's or dementia unfortunately. However I am going to prepare for those conditions prior to their arrival, I'm having a copy of Michael Keaton's Batman suit in my closet along with all my BDSM stuff that I intend to give to my children when I pass. lol

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I am sure you can travel the stars especially if you team up with others and are either part of a multiplayer ship crew or join a flotilla. As for those ships that are going to make a habit of traveling the stars you'd want to look towards the large explore ships. But then you have to ask yourself what sort of gameplay loop are you looking for? Because jumping from one planet to another inside Stanton a small system takes 15 plus minutes of waiting when you could spend the same amount of time running missions, mining etc.

And when I think of space sim SC has it in spades honestly even making a shuttle run from Phoebus to Europa would be all part of a space sim and being able to take off from Area 18 clear the atmosphere then warp to Wala to visit a small podunk mining outpost is very much in keeping with the sim like atmosphere and a lot of fun. Not sure how being limited in fuel and jump drives diminishes from the space sim part nor how not going from solar system to solar system diminishes the experience or limited the playability when there is so much to see or do just within one planetary orbit let alone a whole system.
It is a question of expectations.

As for game loop, Bounty Hunters are in business because people with a price on their head tend to run.

Turin from Killjoys said:
"We are a single body, with no allegiance to anyone but ourselves. We offer one, simple service to all of our clients - we will cross contested jurisdictions for you, find who or what you’re looking for, and bring it back to you in the condition requested. Simple. Elegant. No one knows who hires us, but everyone knows they can trust us to get the job done, and we can guarantee that because our agents are guided by one principle, one code. What is that code?"
"The Warrant is all."

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Only due to Alzheimer's or dementia unfortunately. However I am going to prepare for those conditions prior to their arrival, I'm having a copy of Michael Keaton's Batman suit in my closet along with all my BDSM stuff that I intend to give to my children when I pass. lol
Or dying of old age. :)
Tech wise, Star Citizen is behind the times already. I really don't see a launch, or even Beta in time for SC to still be relevant in the industry.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
The way I see it, even small ships can travel system to system. At least, there will be some system-to-system routes available to smaller ships. I mean, small jump points wouldn't make much sense if you need to hitch a ride on a Hull / Liberator / with Starfarer to the jump point, then go through while that larger ship that can't go through stays behind.
And especially well established, popular routes will have refueling stations at such frequency that smaller ships can travel along them across a whole bunch of systems. Especially if you slap a more economical quantum drive on your ship for the trip.

But there will be some systems that are too large / barren / out of the way / wildernessy / frontiery for smaller ships to traverse, like pyro.
So there will be different kinds of "shortcuts" for different sizes of ships: Larges can't go through small jump points, small's can't go through empty systems, mediums can't go through small jump points or particularly large empty systems. So there won't be the sorta "Biggest ship always best" or "Smallest ship always best" or "Medium always halfway"

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
The way I see it, even small ships can travel system to system. At least, there will be some system-to-system routes available to smaller ships. I mean, small jump points wouldn't make much sense if you need to hitch a ride on a Hull / Liberator / with Starfarer to the jump point, then go through while that larger ship that can't go through stays behind.
And especially well established, popular routes will have refueling stations at such frequency that smaller ships can travel along them across a whole bunch of systems. Especially if you slap a more economical quantum drive on your ship for the trip.

But there will be some systems that are too large / barren / out of the way / wildernessy / frontiery for smaller ships to traverse, like pyro.
So there will be different kinds of "shortcuts" for different sizes of ships: Larges can't go through small jump points, small's can't go through empty systems, mediums can't go through small jump points or particularly large empty systems. So there won't be the sorta "Biggest ship always best" or "Smallest ship always best" or "Medium always halfway"
We were told small jump points were being reconsidered. A Freelancer, in any case, is a medium ship, not a small ship.

Providing the fan base doesn't explode and funding dries up, CIG has no financial incentive to allow small ships to be capable of interstellar operations.

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
The term "small ship" includes some ships that do not have a jump drive. That is not the same as not having a quantum drive as far as I know. That said, we have very little to go on and there is a lot of speculation given as fact, when CIG never said anything definitive. On a ship by ship basis, I think it's clear that the exploration ships are jump capable - including the Terrapin and 315P - but there will be many that don't and will require help to move system to system. And all that is just my interpretation, not what CIG actually said.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
The term "small ship" includes some ships that do not have a jump drive. That is not the same as not having a quantum drive as far as I know. That said, we have very little to go on and there is a lot of speculation given as fact, when CIG never said anything definitive. On a ship by ship basis, I think it's clear that the exploration ships are jump capable - including the Terrapin and 315P - but there will be many that don't and will require help to move system to system. And all that is just my interpretation, not what CIG actually said.
They did tell us small ships won't be able to transit larger systems.
Given the concept of "home base," operating in a system, other than your home, is not the same as going to a system.

Forgot your password?