PSA for those who missed free Windows 10 Upgrade

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
Although I doubt that there many who wish to upgrade to Windows 10 this late after release this is the way to get a genuine copy of Windows 10 after the free upgrade deadline.

1) Set your date to before July 28th, 2016. You should be able to see the free Windows 10 upgrade button in the system tray again. Hurr durr I am serious.

2) Microsoft set up a website for people with accessibility issues to get the upgrade after deadline. Just go to (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade) and click Upgrade Now.

After you install Windows 10, don't forget disable tracking and analytics by using this tool (https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking/releases). Confirmed safe.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
bookmarked, thx Seung

and, FIRST!

Walex

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Walex
Although I doubt that there many who wish to upgrade to Windows 10 this late after release this is the way to get a genuine copy of Windows 10 after the free upgrade deadline.

1) Set your date to before July 28th, 2016. You should be able to see the free Windows 10 upgrade button in the system tray again. Hurr durr I am serious.

2) Microsoft set up a website for people with accessibility issues to get the upgrade after deadline. Just go to (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade) and click Upgrade Now.

After you install Windows 10, don't forget disable tracking and analytics by using this tool (https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking/releases). Confirmed safe.
I actually think my boss will be interested! We've got several lab computers which I didn't want to update before the 29th (because it's always iffy if older/antiquated scientific analysis/data acquisition software will run without issue on Windows10) while we still had ongoing projects. If he wants to do an update when we're in an interem period, I'll use the system time change to upgrade!

Thanks so much for sharing! :D

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
I actually think my boss will be interested! We've got several lab computers which I didn't want to update before the 29th (because it's always iffy if older/antiquated scientific analysis/data acquisition software will run without issue on Windows10) while we still had ongoing projects. If he wants to do an update when we're in an interem period, I'll use the system time change to upgrade!

Thanks so much for sharing! :D
The system time change will probably be "fixed" in windows update soon. The 2nd way might be more painless!

Reactions: Walex

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
I think I'll stick with Linux for the most part.... Unless Windows becomes more stable before SC launches a Linux client...... :)

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
None at all. You are not missing anything.
I have Cortana disabled.
Agreed. I wouldn't give you two cents for Cortana. She is (supposedly)_ turned off now.
You think she is off? Check your task manager. She's not off. Snoopy little b_-t_-h
If the search function wasn't tied to Cortana, I would delete her permanently.
I even did once and ran a third party desktop but it looked like win98.
Mind you, I use Cortana on my windows phone a fair bit to set alarms and reminders and keep me up to date on a few things.
Windows 10 is perfectly stable in my neck of the woods. What part of WIndows 10 is not stable?
Do you really believe everyone would be happy with Linux only? Not yet.
I have been running win 10 since about a year before the original release date. Linux since the nineties.
Computers since the seventies. Linux pffffft. Handy but seriously lacking for certain things. Great at others.
I would say my Windows/Linux ratio is about 90% windows usage and 10% or less Linux.
In a work environment, I could get away with Linux all day long. Not in gaming..Yet.
They will talk to each other nicely someday soon. One Windows box will be required for a long time to come yet.
I use two of each. They both have their uses.
I would love to ditch windows but I would lose functionality on two things I like to do in the gaming world.
Cortana needs about a kazillion more brain cells to be fun and useful for me.
It's near the time of day to fire up one of my Linux boxes to run my virtual skype gym. ha ha.

Reactions: DarthMatter

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
Agreed. I wouldn't give you two cents for Cortana. She is (supposedly)_ turned off now.
You think she is off? Check your task manager. She's not off. Snoopy little b_-t_-h
If the search function wasn't tied to Cortana, I would delete her permanently.
I even did once and ran a third party desktop but it looked like win98.
Mind you, I use Cortana on my windows phone a fair bit to set alarms and reminders and keep me up to date on a few things.
Windows 10 is perfectly stable in my neck of the woods. What part of WIndows 10 is not stable?
Do you really believe everyone would be happy with Linux only? Not yet.
I have been running win 10 since about a year before the original release date. Linux since the nineties.
Computers since the seventies. Linux pffffft. Handy but seriously lacking for certain things. Great at others.
I would say my Windows/Linux ratio is about 90% windows usage and 10% or less Linux.
In a work environment, I could get away with Linux all day long. Not in gaming..Yet.
They will talk to each other nicely someday soon. One Windows box will be required for a long time to come yet.
I use two of each. They both have their uses.
I would love to ditch windows but I would lose functionality on two things I like to do in the gaming world.
Cortana needs about a kazillion more brain cells to be fun and useful for me.
It's near the time of day to fire up one of my Linux boxes to run my virtual skype gym. ha ha.
I have a desktop gaming PC running Win10 and a laptop with Win7/Zorin Linux for learning programming and flying my hexacopter. The uni computers mostly run Linux, so I had to learn the basics anyway. Was sondering about Cortana because she isn't available in Sweden.
Win10 worked fine for me until 2.5 hours ago, when it updated to the "Anniversary" version. Started fine, then I couldn't start anything from the menu, or through shortcuts. I could open the command-prompter, but no code would run.
Got into contact with support and got it restored to the old update, but it took it's sweet time.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
Wow. I enjoy Linux for sure. I would lose WIndows in a heartbeat but it is truly indesposible for the gaming world at this point. it will be for a long long time to come. Luckily I got two free copies of win 10. One upgraded from 8.1 and one for testing the preview. Change is good.

Fox Frenzy

Admiral
Apr 7, 2016
RSI Handle
FoxFrenzy
One of the best things you can do for yourself prior to upgrading to Windows 10 (from Windows 7 especially) is to go out and download the drivers for all of your critical resources. If you have a custom-built machine, you'll need to check with the manufacturers for your System Board, NIC or WiFi Chipset and Graphics Card as many drivers may NOT BE COMPATIBLE with Windows 10 (thus leading to a lot of headaches for upgraders who were quick to call this OS a POS). Once done, commit the upgrade, update your drivers, then update the remaining after installation has settled. Once you're stable and sure everything's working, you can use Disk Cleanup to remove the old version of Windows and any lingering installation and patch files to free up considerable HDD space.

- Your Friendly, Neighborhood Computer Engineer

Reactions: DeepDrum

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud

I've just blown away my gaming PC and reconfigured it as a unRaid server, with a windows VM for gaming.

Option 1 (rolling back the date) didn't work for me (September 2nd)
Option 2 (the microsoft URL leading to an upgrade for 'accessibility' users) seems to be working fine. The Windows 10 upgrade is now downloading in the background, with no fuss whatsoever.

Many thanks for those suggestions Seung :)

Forgot your password?