Ready Player One

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
I'm really not sure where to put this... I thought about "Off-Topic" but it isn't really, and thought about General, but it's not "general" enough... so I guess since it's a book, and it's a form of "media" I'll leave it here.

Anyways...

I've been reading the book for the past 2 weeks (halfway done) when commuting and I've been really engrossed in the universe, and cannot wait for the movie to come out in 2018! (directed by Steven Spielberg, with some great cast)

As I'm reading, I can't help but compare it to Sword Art Online (obviously) but that's not the point I want to make here.

Basically there's this virtual world (OASIS) where people all over the world can jump in and live their virtual life. They have jobs, schools, as well as the obvious game stuff, like combat, quests, level and item systems. This is where it makes me think of Star Citizen.

SC is trying to make a virtual world where we can live our virtual Space Citizen life, fly our own ships between different life-size planets, doing a job or just having fun with friends. It's paving a way to the future where we're slowly moving towards OASIS. Even though, by 2044, I don't think there's any way that the scope and size of OASIS is possible, the end result is in a way very similar.

Also, in the universe of the book, if Star Citizen existed, do you think it'll be part of the OASIS world?

(for those who didn't read the book, inside OASIS, there's fully realized world of pretty much every single universe you can think of: all the way from Middle Earth to the entire Star Wars Galaxy, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, movie settings from Back to the Future, WarGames, pretty much every 80's geek cult classic is there, and you can have almost any game inside OASIS, so there's arcade machines, old ATARI consoles, Commodore 64, etc. There's also the game worlds from EverQuest, WOW, etc.)

I think if it isn't, I'm sure Chris Roberts would have spent a lot of time building one himself. He would probably be a "legend" inside the OASIS just like its founders James Halliday and Ogden Morrow. If he isn't "the Man" himself, the one who creates such world =b

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Im sure if SC was a thing back when the author wrote it, it would be included in the OASIS.

It is a great book though. One of my top 5 favorites.

Reactions: zeddie

Likewise

Captain
Nov 11, 2016
RSI Handle
likewiseone
Really enjoyed this book. It had sucked me in so much that I read it over the course of a few days a couple of summers back. I'm really hoping the movie does it justice.

As for the question I'm sure there would be something at least Star Citizen-esque in there. And I would live there drinking all the beers.

Reactions: zeddie

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
The only thing I think won't be compatible between SC and OASIS is when he was describing the size and scope, he mentioned also "no vehicle can exceed the speed of light" so... no FTL jump capable ships like in SC?

Also "full size" galaxies would vastly exceed the "10 light hours" of the sectors, and even if you line up all 27 sectors in a straight line, a short jump between jump points would easily exceed that distance.

Then again, he did say "the full Star Wars Galaxy" was in it... maybe they're scaled down? On the other hand, the SWG is a bit weird as well. We never see ships in Light Speed for an extended period of time, and even if they were actually flying WAY above 1.00c their galaxy must be still very tiny compared to ours. Then again, the 12-parsec Kessel run is still a HUGE distance, which far exceeds OASIS limits.

I guess they can also easily ignore the scales of real distance for the sake of convenience... erase all the voids or make them 1/100......000th the size (like in Euro Truck Simulators)

Or, I'm just bored and overthinking the details...

Likewise

Captain
Nov 11, 2016
RSI Handle
likewiseone
It would probably require Quantum Travel being explained as less than the speed of light. Let's say .999c, lol.

As for 10 light hours we're looking at nearing 7 billion miles or so. It would probably take some clever design like you have to quantum travel to locations further than 7 billion miles which would actually be more of a loading screen. And yea as you said ignoring real life scaling could resolve that also. That was my first thought as well.

Forgot your password?