SC science: can soft-killed ships be repaired back into full-function? and a call for further testing.

CRISS9000

Space Marshal
Jul 13, 2016
RSI Handle
criss9000

with that statement given by CIG staff, some people took up the task of testing this. and perhaps unsurprisingly, the result is a failure.

but if you know science, you know that more testing is required, and the tests shown above have some test cases missing, such as:

- server hopping, to account for the fact that some servers are overburdened and severely degraded, which means they don't detect ships on pads very well.

- taking the time to painstakingly position ships in the very center of pads to improve detection of the ship on the pad and increase the chances of success.
(yes, placing your ship perfectly in the center of the pad using AutoLanding will drastically increase your chances of success in getting repair to work.)
also please try to test it with landing gear down as well as up.

- trying different pads at different locations. every station has 2 large pads and 2 small pads, and each size is made for different ships and fightercraft.
for example: Carracks cannot use the small pads, not just because of physical size but because the small pads simply are not made for big ships.
also, sometimes pads at space stations work well while surface outposts don't work, and vice versa; surface outpost pads might work. and even then, you have to remember what I said about pad size.

so if there's anyone who has an Argo SRV and would like to take the time to perform these experiments (and record them), I will urge and cheer you on to do so.

I CALL UPON YOU, TEST SQUADRON BEST SQUARDON!

• o7
Reactions: Daak Gelrin

Daak Gelrin

Grand Admiral
Donor
Feb 17, 2020
RSI Handle
Daak
1. I took my SRV to SMO-10 on Microtech.
2. There I called my MPUV Personnel and flew it just out of armistice zone.
3. Then I ran back and called my C8, flew out and soft-deathed the MPUV (it took a do-over, first one just popped it. so repeat step 2).
4. Next I flew back, grabbed my SRV and towed the MPUV back to the outpost and gently placed it in the middle of a landing pad.
5. Lastly I landed my SRV beside the storage building, ran over to the MPUV, got into it and attempted to repair.

RESULT: No success, the game did not recognize that I was sitting on a pad and never gave me the repair menu.

I know why there's not a lot of experiments of this type. It was very time consuming for me to do this little task.

EDIT: I only had time for this one experiment. Will try to do more later.

• o7
Reactions: CRISS9000

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
One thing I saw mentioned was swapping components, but that seems a little extreme. Another method I didn't see talked about was using the hand tool to try repairs, maybe that little kickstart might be enough?

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I have enough issues just getting minor damage repaired on the pad.
Like rich said the pads are a shitshow so this idea is not going to work

Reactions: CRISS9000

Mio Fujii

Commander
Donor
Sep 15, 2023
RSI Handle
Mio_Fujii
With the repair ships starting to make a showing, this is where they will shine. SRV can pull damaged ships to the repair ship, or the salvage ship if that is the case, and go from there. Eventually there will be a need to fix soft-deathed ships in place, especially during battles when getting that damaged ship back into the fight ASAP will be necessary.

Daak Gelrin

Grand Admiral
Donor
Feb 17, 2020
RSI Handle
Daak
I gave it another try, this time using my C8 as the soft dead ship, by killing it with my C8R. I tried both pads on SMO 10 and both at SMO 22.

RESULT: None of the pads recognized the soft dead C8 and did not offer a repair menu.

I think I've tested all I'm willing to test until they make some changes. It isn't difficult, just time consuming.

Now it was oddly satisfying yeeting my soft dead C8, after all the testing was complete. I actually hit the specific cluster of trees I was aiming for.

Cheers!
🍻🍺

Forgot your password?