Scorpius expectations?

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
I'm sorta excited about this one, mostly because I really like 2-seat fighters. I've had the SH forever for that reason, and also love the Vanguard for it. I've never warmed up to the Hurricane, but I think that's because it always seemed quite similar to the Vanguard just without the interior. I'm hoping the Scorp falls somewhere in the middle; a bit more than the SH but that still flies/feels like a true fighter (as the Vanguard is a bit big/sluggish to be a true dogfighter). What do you guys think?

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
It's a very interesting/promising ship. I'd like to evaluate it once released vs the hurricane as it is probably the closest ship comparable. Right now the hurricane is a killing machine. That's my Sentinel hunter with a gunner.

My issue with the Scorpius are the wings. It is an extremely large ship, a very big hitbox, and if loosing a wing means loosing a gun, this will he an issue for me.
The X wing style looks cool, but how effective will it be in a dogfight, like for weapon convergence.

Last edited:

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
I like how it has just a crapton of pilot controlled firepower, 8x S3s, that's insane (Or, I suppose 4xS3+4xS2 if you want them all gimballed).
And the way you can easily drop in a co-pilot that just takes control of some guns (as opposed to having those guns sit idle without a co-pilot), I really like that. I really liked that on Reliants as well.
It's a great ship for when you're not always flying with a friend.

Fully expect it to get a big old nerf though, like everything else that was just way too powerful when first presented. Perhaps those wings are paper thin and the reason you got so many weapons, is because you lose them faster than a black dog in an unlit coal cellar.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
My expectation --> it will be completely OP, everybody will buy one because it is the new "meta" and then a patch or 2 later, CIG will completely nerf it and release a brand new fighter...

Lather, rinse, repeat, lol
Im going the other way on this.

Too slow, slugish, bad rotational speed, wings break off too easily. Then they buff it after many complaints.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Unfortunately, I'm guessing the same as Montoya. I think if they fail to make the rotation rate low, they'll have troubles disenfranchising the other heavy fighters. I could be wrong but it feels like they have to nerf maneuverability such that it's back near where the Cutty is, and that is really shabby for any supposed fighter. I would likewise expect it to have modest linear acceleration and poor lateral acceleration. With the minimal shields and size oif the target, I doubt it will be survivable--like the original Hurricane. Flying target.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
IF I was able to have any say in the matter, which I obviously don't, I'd aim for the obvious in regards of the line of "Heavy Fighters". The Vanguards are the long range powerhouses. The Hurricane is the smaller to hit yet requires the additional gunner to have 1/2 of its weapons fully utilized. The Super Hornet is a more well rounded & mid sized fighter that like the Hurricane needs a dual crew to be fully effective. The F8 will be the single crew heavy fighter that's tanky, but will most likely have its range shorter than the others. The Scorpius would be slower yet far more agile & maneuverable in atmosphere while its wings are deployed, but those would make it an easier target to hit & the more of them that are knocked off, the less firepower as well as maneuverability it would have until it flies like an overgrown Aurora. I imagine that the atmospheric flight profile of the Scorpius will be more like a WWI attack biplane.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

Too slow, slugish, bad rotational speed, wings break off too easily. Then they buff it after many complaints.
They told us more fragile than a Super Hornet and less maneuverable than a Hurricane. That is where I expect it to be.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I'm sorta excited about this one, mostly because I really like 2-seat fighters. I've had the SH forever for that reason, and also love the Vanguard for it. I've never warmed up to the Hurricane, but I think that's because it always seemed quite similar to the Vanguard just without the interior. I'm hoping the Scorp falls somewhere in the middle; a bit more than the SH but that still flies/feels like a true fighter (as the Vanguard is a bit big/sluggish to be a true dogfighter). What do you guys think?
The Vanguard is a front line, military, long range, multi-role combat fighter.
The Hurricane is a civilian version of a short ranged military, single purpose, carrier fighter.
The Scorpius is a short ranged single purpose militia fighter.
They are all two seat fighters.

The Super Hornet is a civilian copy of a military, single seat, fighter that got a back seat added so you could bring a friend but the turret isn't really meant for the second seat.

I like how it has just a crapton of pilot controlled firepower, 8x S3s, that's insane (Or, I suppose 4xS3+4xS2 if you want them all gimballed).
And the way you can easily drop in a co-pilot that just takes control of some guns (as opposed to having those guns sit idle without a co-pilot), I really like that. I really liked that on Reliants as well.
It's a great ship for when you're not always flying with a friend.
The pilot only gets the wing guns. So no more firepower than a Sabre.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The pilot only gets the wing guns. So no more firepower than a Sabre.
Nooo. . .I'm pretty sure when it first announced they were specific that when the turret is forward it is pilot controlled. CIG knows it will be a huge success based solely upon the notion of more firepower than any other platform, no matter how badly it handles. I think it is planned to appeal to the Hornet crowd.

Lets face it, despite how big a target it is, were it nimble everyone would want it. I'm thinking it will only barely outhandle a Cutty. 8 Panthers means terrible performance unless you practice serious trigger control, but when it hits, it is going to hit very hard.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Last edited:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Nooo. . .I'm pretty sure when it first announced they were specific that when the turret is forward it is pilot controlled. CIG knows it will be a huge success based solely upon the notion of more firepower than any other platform, no matter how badly it handles. I think it is planned to appeal to the Hornet crowd.

Lets face it, despite how big a target it is, were it nimble everyone would want it. I'm thinking it will only barely outhandle a Cutty. 8 Panthers means terrible performance unless you practice serious trigger control, but when it hits, it is going to hit very hard.
Well, I mean, once we get computer blades it'll definitely be a thing. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/18124-Q-A-RSI-Scorpius
Could be even before if CIG wants us to play around with that possibility. There are certainly already ships where you get remote turrets slaved to the pilot.
Can the turret be controlled by the pilot? If so, does it fire in conjunction with the forward-facing weapons or is it controlled separately?

Not by default. However, as it’s a remote turret, it will be able to be ‘slaved’ by a computer blade in the future, where it will be locked facing forward in the upper position.
I wouldn't count on it. Especially not soon.

My Vanguard with 4 MVSA and a Deadbolt V hits harder than 8 panthers on this thing, without the Vanguard turret. :)

Last edited:

Lemming

Vice Admiral
Apr 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Anotherlemming

This 100% it seems like its going to lose wings often and with that, it loses firepower. I'm looking forward to flying it during the sub-period, but other than that its nothing to be hyped about imho

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar

I wouldn't count on it. Especially not soon.

My Vanguard with 4 MVSA and a Deadbolt V hits harder than 8 panthers on this thing, without the turret. :)
I wanted to quote the same from the Q&A.

So to @Shadow Reaper and @FZD the turret is not controllable by the pilot, but with the help of blades, which arent on the roadmap at all for now. So it will be the same as for the Hurricane/Vanguard and any other ships with a turret that can shoot forward I guess.

For me the Scorpius is most certainly a fragile toy that will be useless if manned solo.
A Hurricane hardly loose its pilot's weapons, even with no wings. That will be different story for a Scorpius I bet.
Unless the Scorpius proves to be a DPS beast, compared to the Hurricane it is still a HUGE hit box, it is slower and less agile (as per Scorpius Q&A), and with the same armor as a Hurricane (still according to Q&A).

I do not see any reason why I would pick a Scorpius over a Hurricane for now. Hurricane is faster, more agile, same armor, has better shields, DPS not too different, has a 360 view for the turret unlike the Scorpius (no full 360 in both turret positions on a Scorpius because of the wings deadzone), is smaller to fit in hangar for large ships (can fit probably 2+ in hangar of Polaris, Odyssey..., when only 1 Scorpius should fit in a Polaris ).
But I'll make my mind soon I guess.

Last edited:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I wanted to quote the same from the Q&A.

So to @Shadow Reaper and @FZD the turret is not controllable by the pilot, but with the help of blades, which arent on the roadmap at all for now. So it will be the same as for the Hurricane/Vanguard and any other ships with a turret that can shoot forward I guess.

For me the Scorpius is most certainly a fragile toy that will be useless if manned solo.
A Hurricane hardly loose its pilot's weapons, even with no wings. That will be different story for a Scorpius I bet.
Unless the Scorpius proves to be a DPS beast, compared to the Hurricane it is still a HUGE hit box, it is slower and less agile (as per Scorpius Q&A), and with the same armor as a Hurricane (still according to Q&A).

I do not see any reason why I would pick a Scorpius over a Hurricane for now. Hurricane is faster, more agile, same armor, has better shields, DPS not too different, has a 360 view for the turret unlike the Scorpius (no full 360 in both turret positions on a Scorpius because of the wings deadzone), is smaller to fit in hangar for large ships (can fit probably 2+ in hangar of Polaris, Odyssey..., when only 1 Scorpius should fit in a Polaris ).
But I'll make my mind soon I guess.
I'm not seeing a reason to have the Scorpious instead of having 2 Sabres, 2 Hornets or even 2 Hawks. And my better half and I have, between us, two Hawks and will finish out the CCU chain for the second Sabre before too long. (Two Sabres hit the same, two Hawks or two Hornets hit harder than a Scorpius.)
I definitely don't see a reason to have the Scorpious over our two Vanguard Wardens.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I still say that with all of that wing surface area, that while in atmosphere the Scorpius should be slower than the other heavy fighters, but make up of that with much greater maneuverability. Yet have those wings make the ship an easier target to hit that the more compact ships like the Hurricane & have them more easily shot off than those of the Vanguard. That's what would make the most sense to me.

Forgot your password?