Second thoughts on the Odyssey

TheDubya

Vice Admiral
Mar 26, 2021
RSI Handle
TheDubya
Hey there Test!

I'm asking here because this has been the most useful place for me whenever I dive into SC and mess around in the 'verse, and y'all've always been awesome. The short of my question/post is this: I melted a Gemini and a Redeemer and rolled those funds into the new Odyssey. Currently have an Endeavor, BMM, Starliner, Odyssey and Corsair. I've been debating melting the Odyssey and using the buyback token to get back the Defender (I believe it's going to be able to link with the BMM) and then use the next quarters token to grab the 600i explorer. Only reason I'm even thinking about it at all is due to already having several large boats that need plenty of people to run, and the 600i is going to get touched soon, I imagine it'll raise its cost then and I'd like to stick with store credit. What do y'all think? Stick with the Odyssey? Or turn it into the Defender + 600i?

Extra fluff: I am very much looking forward to exploration gameplay in general, that, and passenger stuff. I know the Corsair and the 600i have some overlap, but I don't think we can know until it comes out. I figure it'll be cheaper to run than the 600. Other side of it too is the Odyssey is likely to be more than the other two ships in uec costs when the game does come out, and if npc's materialize, and are useful, I don't have any massive crew requirement ships (maybe the Endeavor). Does the Endeavor and the Odyssey cancel one another out? I don't think so because the Endeavor's exploration is via the telescope. Hoping (though unlikely) the Endeavor grows large enough that the Corsair will fit in its hangar. That would be excellent. Anyway, I'll stop rambling and appreciate opinions. Happy holidays all around!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Hey there Test!

I'm asking here because this has been the most useful place for me whenever I dive into SC and mess around in the 'verse, and y'all've always been awesome. The short of my question/post is this: I melted a Gemini and a Redeemer and rolled those funds into the new Odyssey. Currently have an Endeavor, BMM, Starliner, Odyssey and Corsair. I've been debating melting the Odyssey and using the buyback token to get back the Defender (I believe it's going to be able to link with the BMM) and then use the next quarters token to grab the 600i explorer. Only reason I'm even thinking about it at all is due to already having several large boats that need plenty of people to run, and the 600i is going to get touched soon, I imagine it'll raise its cost then and I'd like to stick with store credit. What do y'all think? Stick with the Odyssey? Or turn it into the Defender + 600i?

Extra fluff: I am very much looking forward to exploration gameplay in general, that, and passenger stuff. I know the Corsair and the 600i have some overlap, but I don't think we can know until it comes out. I figure it'll be cheaper to run than the 600. Other side of it too is the Odyssey is likely to be more than the other two ships in uec costs when the game does come out, and if npc's materialize, and are useful, I don't have any massive crew requirement ships (maybe the Endeavor). Does the Endeavor and the Odyssey cancel one another out? I don't think so because the Endeavor's exploration is via the telescope. Hoping (though unlikely) the Endeavor grows large enough that the Corsair will fit in its hangar. That would be excellent. Anyway, I'll stop rambling and appreciate opinions. Happy holidays all around!
You could get 100 different answers. To me it makes sense to do that, if it adds to the part of your fleet that is core to what you want for less money!

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Some mostly coherent thoughts on your questions..

Corsair is very unlikely to fit in an Endeavor. Cutty is supposed to, Apollo has been hinted as 'possibly'.

600i is getting a major interior rework to include a med bed. The gameplay provided is expected to go well beyond what the Corsair will have. Having said that, what is important to you matters most. The 600i features remote turrets, which should make solo player operation viable once blades are in the game. If they follow the thought process that brought about the 400i, I WILL have to get one of my own. Personally I won't be without at least one medium ship for utility, and the 400i sits in that role right now.

The Endeavor is in a 're-concepting phase'. I suspect it's going to be a complicated beast when it comes out, far different level than the gameplay that any other ship in the game can provide. This is a true wait-and-see case but imo simply can't be compared.

The BMM hangar should fit a great many different small ships. I'm not a fan of the Defender personally although the uniqueness of it is very cool and there might be some level of synergy beyond just landing in the bay.

My personal thought processes are turning more toward the large ships in game, with the expectation of relying on NPC's for most of the crew. As the game has developed it is becoming obvious that a major limiting factor (other than people) in accessing game content will be the size of the QT drive. One of my projects over these holidays, actually, is a deeper dive into star systems size, QT drive ranges, fuel use, and the related logistics. It is entirely probable that as a solo/small group, the Odyssey will be the only ship that can 'get you there' without mounting a massive support fleet like the Fuel Rats in ED.

TheDubya

Vice Admiral
Mar 26, 2021
RSI Handle
TheDubya

Corsair is very unlikely to fit in an Endeavor. Cutty is supposed to, Apollo has been hinted as 'possibly'.
Just thought I'd point out they did say it would fit 2x Cutty Reds, so there is definitely hope! I'm hoping the Odyssey isn't a bust for the lonely pilot as well, it's one of the few larger ships that list 1-x vs 2+ to x. I don't think the Corsair is going to be a competitive explorer at all, more likely a long range 'raider' but that's an opinion based off of the original information that they'd put out a few years ago. Who knows now.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
You could get 100 different answers. To me it makes sense to do that, if it adds to the part of your fleet that is core to what you want for less money!
There is wisdom in this.

Just thought I'd point out they did say it would fit 2x Cutty Reds, so there is definitely hope! I'm hoping the Odyssey isn't a bust for the lonely pilot as well, it's one of the few larger ships that list 1-x vs 2+ to x. I don't think the Corsair is going to be a competitive explorer at all, more likely a long range 'raider' but that's an opinion based off of the original information that they'd put out a few years ago. Who knows now.
The concept of the Endeavor hangar module stated that it should be able to fit 2x Cutty reds, but those are side by side. The Corsair will be too tall to fit inside that hangar, but with the ship docking system that's in tier 1 currently, it might be able to dock with it externally.

I think it’s worth note that the Sukoran shields on the Defender are highly sought since they alone can give the ability to resist projectiles to medium ships. Vanguard pilots love them and they are worth the cost of the Defender.
I was about to point this out before I saw @Shadow Reaper do so 1st. I have a Defender & I like it, but with the recent tweaks to the ship weapons & that you can't purchase their shields in game currently other than by purchasing a Defender itself, those are worth their price in PvP situations where you might have to fight somebody using ballistics, especially when using a medium ship that can use 2 shield generators.

Melt the odyssey and buy the defender and 600i. Those two ships are flyable right now, the Odyssey isn't. By the time the Odyssey is out you can melt the defender and 600i and use another token to get the Odyssey back.
As with most things in SC, the use of "Soon (tm)" applies, which means that there is often no telling when something will be ready to be released into the Verse until it's been confirmed to be released in the next upcoming patch. Even then it's a maybe due to it possibly becoming a "*.*.x" patch. Personally, I picked up a WB Oddy (Concierge edition), then melted it to help enhance the rest of my fleet with things that are more useful currently. After seeing the Q&A for the Oddy, I might not be adding it back from my buybacks except to trade it to another TEST member down the road if they want to shell out that cost for it that badly. (I won't be making any profit on it, but I'd prefer to not lose anything on the exchange either, of course.) More than likely, the Endeavor will be the last ship released into the Verse before SC goes live due to all of the complicated various systems & mechanics that it as well as its mods require access to.

• Love
Reactions: Vavrik and TheDubya

TheDubya

Vice Admiral
Mar 26, 2021
RSI Handle
TheDubya
Melt the odyssey and buy the defender and 600i. Those two ships are flyable right now, the Odyssey isn't. By the time the Odyssey is out you can melt the defender and 600i and use another token to get the Odyssey back.
I think this is the way. I was worried about the price of the Odyssey going up, but if I've got it in buyback, it'll remain the same as I bought it for, right? Thanks for all the replies by the way, very helpful.

TheDubya

Vice Admiral
Mar 26, 2021
RSI Handle
TheDubya
There is wisdom in this.

The concept of the Endeavor hangar module stated that it should be able to fit 2x Cutty reds, but those are side by side. The Corsair will be too tall to fit inside that hangar, but with the ship docking system that's in tier 1 currently, it might be able to dock with it externally.

I was about to point this out before I saw @Shadow Reaper do so 1st. I have a Defender & I like it, but with the recent tweaks to the ship weapons & that you can't purchase their shields in game currently other than by purchasing a Defender itself, those are worth their price in PvP situations where you might have to fight somebody using ballistics, especially when using a medium ship that can use 2 shield generators.

As with most things in SC, the use of "Soon (tm)" applies, which means that there is often no telling when something will be ready to be released into the Verse until it's been confirmed to be released in the next upcoming patch. Even then it's a maybe due to it possibly becoming a "*.*.x" patch. Personally, I picked up a WB Oddy (Concierge edition), then melted it to help enhance the rest of my fleet with things that are more useful currently. After seeing the Q&A for the Oddy, I might not be adding it back from my buybacks except to trade it to another TEST member down the road if they want to shell out that cost for it that badly. (I won't be making any profit on it, but I'd prefer to not lose anything on the exchange either, of course.) More than likely, the Endeavor will be the last ship released into the Verse before SC goes live due to all of the complicated various systems & mechanics that it as well as its mods require access to.
Yeah, I was very hyped for the Odyssey and then was less hyped after the Q&A. I didn't really have any expectations, but for a live in base, I've got the Endeavor.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

600i is getting a major interior rework to include a med bed. The gameplay provided is expected to go well beyond what the Corsair will have. Having said that, what is important to you matters most. The 600i features remote turrets, which should make solo player operation viable once blades are in the game. If they follow the thought process that brought about the 400i, I WILL have to get one of my own. Personally I won't be without at least one medium ship for utility, and the 400i sits in that role right now.

The Endeavor is in a 're-concepting phase'. I suspect it's going to be a complicated beast when it comes out, far different level than the gameplay that any other ship in the game can provide. This is a true wait-and-see case but imo simply can't be compared.

The BMM hangar should fit a great many different small ships. I'm not a fan of the Defender personally although the uniqueness of it is very cool and there might be some level of synergy beyond just landing in the bay.

My personal thought processes are turning more toward the large ships in game, with the expectation of relying on NPC's for most of the crew. As the game has developed it is becoming obvious that a major limiting factor (other than people) in accessing game content will be the size of the QT drive. One of my projects over these holidays, actually, is a deeper dive into star systems size, QT drive ranges, fuel use, and the related logistics. It is entirely probable that as a solo/small group, the Odyssey will be the only ship that can 'get you there' without mounting a massive support fleet like the Fuel Rats in ED.
The Cutty is size 3, which means it might fit in the Odyssey but don't count on it. Just like it might fit on my Liberator, but I won't count on that either.
The BMM should be able to carry any Size 1 or 2 ship, the same as the Odyssey or the Liberator.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I like the idea of the 600i, I just hate the interior. With the interior rework coming, I might have to reconsider.
In your case, since it is modular, the 600i serves as both an explorer and a luxury passenger ship.

The Defender depends on your flight style. If you like the flight profile, yes, get a Defender. If you don't, get something eles size 1 or 2.

Last edited:

TheDubya

Vice Admiral
Mar 26, 2021
RSI Handle
TheDubya
I like the idea of the 600i, I just hate the interior. With the interior rework coming, I might have to reconsider.
In your case, since it is modular, the 600i serves as both an explorer and a luxury passenger ship.

The Defender depends on your flight style. If you like the flight profile, yes, get a Defender. If you don't, get something eles size 1 or 2.
Primary reason for the Defender would be the functionality with the BMM and the fact that I've got one with either lti or 10 year in the buy back. I think it's getting looked at for a touch up too, but that could be me misremembering.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Primary reason for the Defender would be the functionality with the BMM and the fact that I've got one with either lti or 10 year in the buy back. I think it's getting looked at for a touch up too, but that could be me misremembering.
All the coolness in the Verse won't help the ship, if you don't like the way it flies.

TheDubya

Vice Admiral
Mar 26, 2021
RSI Handle
TheDubya
What ever ships you buy are irrelevant, so long as you do the right thing and bin off that Odyssey, as its hot garbage.
Who knows what it'll be in the end though? If I melt it and the price goes up, it will stay at the purchase price in buyback correct? I'm thinking of rolling with the 600i, though I have a Corsair and worry there will be too much overlap there, both explorers, though one will have a medbay and one surely will not.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Who knows what it'll be in the end though? If I melt it and the price goes up, it will stay at the purchase price in buyback correct? I'm thinking of rolling with the 600i, though I have a Corsair and worry there will be too much overlap there, both explorers, though one will have a medbay and one surely will not.
The 600i has a bar, the Corsair does not. No brainer there.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The Corsair is not really intended as an explorer. It’s the plundering ship step up from the Cutty Black. Corvettes, Corsairs and other pirate ships were chosen for speed and then overloaded with boarding party people to git loots.

It’s a pirate ship.

Forgot your password?