Ship question, for running missions

Malvariuz

Grand Admiral
Aug 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Malvariuz
If a player decides he wants to run missions like the did at the gamescom demo, is the freelancer the only real viable ship to use ?

It has defense, offense, lots of cargo, and can carry a vehicle.

The Constellations require more crew members or NPC's so profits become smaller potentially, or what are our thoughts on the comparisons.

I have neither ship and never have had one, or thought to care about having either one, but it seems like the best and only real viable ships to have ingame would be either of these if we're going to discover crates of goods and vehicles to steal in missions.

The Razgriz

Vice Admiral
Jul 24, 2016
RSI Handle
The-Razgriz
As far as cargo is concerned, there are several options you can use effectively. The Aurora has the ability to carry an ok amount of cargo, and the base Hornet has a cargo box in place of the ball turret. The Freelancer is a good all-arounder, but is by no means the only effective ship for playing in the larger universe.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
The way Star Citizen works is: You can do whatever the hell you feel like. Do you want to go out and kill some pirates in the news-van reliant? Go for it. You won't be effective for shit, but nothing is stopping you from trying. If you are looking for a Freelancer equivalent, there are a few. The one most often related to the Freelancer is the Drake Cutlass. 1-3 people, decent cargo. Long story short: Your skill is the only limiting factor for anything really. Well, that, and what your ship is capable of (You arent going to accept a freight mission on a dragonfly)

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
I've been debating getting a more multi-role ship myself after seeing that. However, I would bet the mission was designed to show examples of various systems, multi-crew, fighter, cargo, and carrying a Dragonfly. Other than the Dragonfly and the cargo reward at the end, a single-seat fighter could have been used. Smaller ships that should be able to accommodate a small cargo reward would be Auroras, 300s, Mustangs (?), Cutlass, and Hornet with the store-all box.

I would bet, by the time we see missions in game like that, we'd get some clue to whether or not cargo would be required before accepting the mission. Also, you should be able to ring up a fellow TESTie to come scoop up your loot or found vehicles (though I'd expect that to happen rarely, if ever) when the need arises.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Malvariuz

Grand Admiral
Aug 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Malvariuz
so, in some theory the connie being RSI and closely designed by CR himself and the Freelancer well, it's name says it all... means they are the smallest favorited ships that get to potentially be okay as jack of all mission trades exception being industry related.

Is there going to be more missions like this or will cargo not be so important, thats my concern. This mission was the only real mission we've seen, and it showed you need multi-crew. Also - you would most likely have fun killing the turncoat that doublecrossed you, and then salvaging him.

Like, I can have an LTI MIS Freelancer for like 145$ or something, since I have dozen's of tokens and ccu's for every combo. Might as well just get it, right ?

If the mission didn't have cargo AND being double crossed at the end, our choices of ship would drastically change, wouldn't it. Also - people are not exactly likely to go exploring a wreck in a dragon fly, or a freelancer. They would probably use a scout or a exploration type ship.

Theres the real trick I think., even in the PTU - go out explore - WHAM ! it's a trap , and pirates show up, and you must dog fight. If you leave and come back you have to fight them again, even if you beat them. so you really are never going to use an exploration ship unless you have another player in a different ship with you.

Malvariuz

Grand Admiral
Aug 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Malvariuz
to me a Freelancer MIS seems a better ship then the Andromeda. More power for the dollar / crew count. Seems efficient to me.

But - let's expect that finding a base with multiple vehicles and abandoned wrecks with vehicules perfectly intact will not be usual experience.

The crates being the only thing possibly more realistic to expect (mind you I would love to go and find 2-3 Rovers lying around a base, and repurpose the base as my own home)... the new Vanguard might be perfect, since if it is going to have a module like a drop ship, surely it will have a cargo variant then too.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
For this mission, the freelancer was an excellent choice, but what if you had more crew...or a smaller ship. I suspect you would not have been offered the mission, but you would have gotten a slightly different one that meets what your current ship can do (and different pay of course)

Freelancers are excellent all rounders (jack of all trades). The can haul a decent amount of cargo, carry decent guns, missiles, some crew, can explore, etc. Really, for someone just starting out, a freelancer MIGHT be better than a Connie. Can EASILY be single crewed, but room for more (I would suggest max 4 crew, engineer, gunner, damage control, pilot. Only thing is that it is missile heavy, so reloading might be an issue, and it's light on countermeasures (when I played mine, it only spawned with 16 each of flare and chaff....but it might be a bug...crashed to desktop when I went to cry-astro)

Connies are good, but will require more crew (1-2 turrets or 1 turret and 1 science position), snub pilot, ship pilot, engineer, damage control (so a max crew of 6, but I would think 3-4 for an Andromeda, 2-3 for a Taurus (which is probably the only other ship that could have done it with 2 that was bigger than a freelancer)

Thinking smaller ships....hmm, 300 series, Aurora, cutlass, avenger?, Reliant Kore, maybe a Terrapin? Obviously, some of the bigger should could have done it as well. However, to get air support, you probably need a second pilot, so room for two people, plus cargo...

Other thoughts...if you had a salvage ship...say the crucible...could you have repaired the Starfarer? Call in a guildie to help out with the coordinates to add another ship (or profit) to the org?

Be wary....when someone offers you a gig that sounds too good to be true, it might be...in that scenario, he could kill you, claim YOU stole the cargo (after all, your ship was in the area of the wreck, and he probably recorded you taking the goods) and he would get away free of any penalty, while you might get a crimestat marker...or dead

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
So many variables. If you want a decent ship, a good multipurpose one, then you can't go wrong with either the Freelancer or the Cutlass. Honestly, I'll own both, and situation/mood will dictate what ship I'm using at any one time.

The Freelancer is an amazing ship. Great all around. Get ol' @CosmicTrader to extol the virtues of it upon you. You won't be disappointed.

The Cutlass is currently broken, but both usable and flyable. Once the turret is fixed and the repass done, she'll be great again. :P She's one of my personal favorites.

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
+1 on the Avenger as a 'one ship' option for 90% of missions.

A relatively fast runaround that is a capable scrapper. Has cells for bounty hunting, and a small amount of storage. Can carry additional friends, and is cheap enough that you can reasonably expect it to still be on the landing pad when you return (early days, but I suspect that an unmanned connie left lying about would be a tempting target. An Avenger is much lower on the risk/reward scale for any potential shipjacker).

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?