Solo: A Star Wars Story

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
So I finally watched this movie last night. In general I enjoyed it. Then again, I'm a huge Star Wars nerd.

My favorite thing is that it really helped me see where Han is coming from. He always seemed like kind of a bastard but also a good guy so I didn't understand that. I definitely understand it a lot better now and I feel I sympathize with his situation more now.

What did you think of the movie? Like it? Not like it?

Speedkills

Admiral
Oct 4, 2016
RSI Handle
Speedkills
After TLJ I went in with no expectations for Solo, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. It gave me enough like you said to see where Han came from and did so with enough to stand on it's own alone. I think it's best to not watch too many trailers or read about a movie so you can formulate your own opinion. Hopefully the foundation they put down works well into the next two movies... and doesn't break some of the SW canon like Lucas was notorious for.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
What did you think of the movie? Like it? Not like it?
I just watched it last night!

Its possibly my favorite in the series so far, which is surprising to me because there was no lightsaber action.

There were so many little references a nods to previous episodes that only a true nerd would get.

The most obvious was doing the Kessel run in 12 parsecs, when he was told it wold take 24 by Lando.

Also when Rey gets on the Falcon in Force Awakens, she asks if this is the ship that did the Kessel run in 14 parsecs, and he corrects her in frustration!

Finally after all these decades we get to see why doing the Kessel run in 12 parsecs was such a big deal!!!

One other very small tidbit which a lot of people will miss is that Maul at the end is actually holding the same lightsaber as he does in Star Wars Rebels SE2!

Such a small and obscure detail to actually keep consistent between the movie and cartoon!

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
I just watched it last night!

Its possibly my favorite in the series so far, which is surprising to me because there was no lightsaber action.

There were so many little references a nods to previous episodes that only a true nerd would get.

The most obvious was doing the Kessel run in 12 parsecs, when he was told it wold take 24 by Lando.

Also when Rey gets on the Falcon in Force Awakens, she asks if this is the ship that did the Kessel run in 14 parsecs, and he corrects her in frustration!

Finally after all these decades we get to see why doing the Kessel run in 12 parsecs was such a big deal!!!

One other very small tidbit which a lot of people will miss is that Maul at the end is actually holding the same lightsaber as he does in Star Wars Rebels SE2!

Such a small and obscure detail to actually keep consistent between the movie and cartoon!
I've always felt that the best parts of Star Wars are the non-Jedi parts.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
And the geek in me was always annoyed they kept talking about doing a route "in 12 parsecs" as if that was an amount of time or something.

But of course it makes sense if you know the back story. They're traveling at practically light speed.

There is no going faster.

There is only going shorter distance. And the path they traveled was perilous, to be sure.

Yes, definitely happy about that explanation. 😀

InfinityCircuit

Admiral
Aug 15, 2015
RSI Handle
InfinityCircuit
TFA and TLJ really disappointed me, for different reasons. I'm not a prequel-lover either, by the way. Star Wars is one of those IPs that, despite the movies, I really enjoy.

Rogue One was one of the best war movies I've seen in a while. It's like "Hogan's Heroes" meets "Rogue Squadron." It really brings the dark, hopeless nature of fighting the Empire home, and makes their success all the more improbable and exciting.

Solo made me happy as well. The depiction of gritty, hive-world life in the streets of Corellia, the Imperial invasion in all its chaos, and the twists near the end all made it very enjoyable for me.

I'll always love Star Wars, but Disney is ruining the IP in the name of creating a ton more movies as they see fit. For me, the EU, with Stackpole's "Rogue Squadron" novels, Luke's path from light to dark and back to light throughout his novels, and the Thrawn books will hold a place in my heart.

I will retcon or retain books and movies as I see fit, so the Star Wars universe, to me, still is interesting and awesome.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
and the Thrawn books will hold a place in my heart.
What we need is a General Grievous movie!

This next one might be a little obscure, but I think one of the most unique weapons in SW is the Darksaber.

That has a great Mandelorian story line attached to it. I would be first in line of that movie was ever made.

InfinityCircuit

Admiral
Aug 15, 2015
RSI Handle
InfinityCircuit
This next one might be a little obscure, but I think one of the most unique weapons in SW is the Darksaber.

That has a great Mandelorian story line attached to it. I would be first in line of that movie was ever made.
I'd be right behind you. Darksaber read like a movie script. Their use of Verpines to build the thing was hilarious and ingenious. Space-monkeys with a hive mind, and technologically adept? Amazing.

Citadel

Grand Admiral
Sep 2, 2018
RSI Handle
Citadel_MD
I watched it a couple of days ago and I enjoyed it as well - I didn't know what to expect but it was good especially seeing how he ended up modelling himself after Woody Harrelson's character as a shoot first type gunslinger!

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I really enjoyed this film, it both beckons and answers a lot of questions. And that wookie strength? GOOD LORD! That's more powerful than retard strength!

I hope to see more of Qi'ra and Darth working together. That was a very pleasant surprise in the end.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
I have not watched it and I doubt I will. After being a SW fan for decades...even enduring phantom menace, I find that TLJ was just so horrible that it’s not worth it anymore.

Seriously, to me it ranks right up there with Highlander II, die hard III and IV, and any Disney direct to video sequels. They just don’t exist anymore. If Disney comes out and disavows TLJ, then I will consider it. Until then, they have lost a fan and all the money they earned off me, no movie tickets, no Blu-Ray purchase, no purchase of toys, LEGO, or memorabilia. No video games, and I won’t buy them for my neices or nephews either. If others enjoy them, that’s fine. Plenty of movies others liked and I did not (Titanic), but my wallet is closed. Guess more money for SC...

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I have not watched it and I doubt I will. After being a SW fan for decades...even enduring phantom menace, I find that TLJ was just so horrible that it’s not worth it anymore.

Seriously, to me it ranks right up there with Highlander II, die hard III and IV, and any Disney direct to video sequels. They just don’t exist anymore. If Disney comes out and disavows TLJ, then I will consider it. Until then, they have lost a fan and all the money they earned off me, no movie tickets, no Blu-Ray purchase, no purchase of toys, LEGO, or memorabilia. No video games, and I won’t buy them for my neices or nephews either. If others enjoy them, that’s fine. Plenty of movies others liked and I did not (Titanic), but my wallet is closed. Guess more money for SC...
A lot of people take this stance over one movie they didnt like. What specifically did you not enjoy about the film?

Reactions: Blind Owl

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
A lot of people take this stance over one movie they didnt like. What specifically did you not enjoy about the film?
honestly, it WASN'T the one one film. It was both TFA and TLJ

I have no problem with them killing off older characters. While I think Akbar should have had an onscreen death, I am ok with him and Han getting offed.

What I did not like...loathed actually, is the exceptionally bad writing (bad even for a SW movie, where we expect bad writing), and the way that, at times, it had too heavy of a political overtones.

TFA - the opening was not bad. Finn, Poe, Rey, BB8 are actually all enjoyable characters
Kylo Ren on the other hand in written as a child...one that throws tantrums!?!?!? Yes, Vader got pissed off, Vader threw tantrums and killed people when he got upset, but it was one person at a time, and it was his belief that the punishment needed to fit the crime.
Additionally, most of the action sequences were completely derivative of the initial SW films. It's like they said "oh, you need to appease the fans, so have a Death Star style trench race, and a run through the death star, etc
Finally, the whole Rey "of course, use the force" thing and then defeating Kylo Ren in a saber duel is just....words fail me. Complete and utter BS. While not completely horrible, this ranked lower than Phantom Menace on my scale of SW movies...one that I won't watch unless I have to. I would rather start at Episode 2

Then TLJ comes in.
Porgs...nuff said
Green Milk - what is seen can't be unseen. they did NOT need that in the movie
A derivative battle scene (really, borrowing from BSG)
yet ANOTHER derivative (battle scene walker attack)
Borrowing from Space Balls https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/409/692/e9c.png (this is not a parody movie)
Finn, who up to this point has been in love with Rey...wakes up and falls in love with someone completely different almost immediately.
Leia Poppins...Nuff said
Hyperspace Ramming...REALLY?
Gravity fed bomb rack...IN SPACE?!?!?!?!
Ballistic arcs for space artillery?!?!?!? Did someone not have any physics classes at all?
Hey, we can't travel faster than light and are cruising at normal speed...but we are approaching this planet and there is no way the empire can know we are headed there....again..REALLY?
Characters that had personalities established in the first movie, had them completely changed in the second movie. - and it's supposed to occur almost right after the first movie
Finally, the over the top political overtones. - don't mind political movies or political satire, but this was not the movie for either. Yes, I get it...Revenge was political too...didn't like it then either.

Last edited:
Reactions: InfinityCircuit

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
@Thalstan I agree with most of what you said. It was really hard for me to like TFA and especially TLJ. They go against so much of the established movie lore.

In spite of that, I have decided that Star Wars is now going in a new direction. Rather than dwell on the past I've tried to see the new direction through the eyes of my kids.

With such new perspective, I'm looking at this as kind of a reboot of the franchise and not necessarily as a continuation. From that viewpoint it's actually a decent series and my kids enjoy it.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Porgs...nuff said
Green Milk - what is seen can't be unseen. they did NOT need that in the movie
A derivative battle scene (really, borrowing from BSG)
yet ANOTHER derivative (battle scene walker attack)
Borrowing from Space Balls https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/409/692/e9c.png (this is not a parody movie)
Finn, who up to this point has been in love with Rey...wakes up and falls in love with someone completely different almost immediately.
Leia Poppins...Nuff said
Hyperspace Ramming...REALLY?
Gravity fed bomb rack...IN SPACE?!?!?!?!
Ballistic arcs for space artillery?!?!?!? Did someone not have any physics classes at all?
Hey, we can't travel faster than light and are cruising at normal speed...but we are approaching this planet and there is no way the empire can know we are headed there....again..REALLY?
Characters that had personalities established in the first movie, had them completely changed in the second movie. - and it's supposed to occur almost right after the first movie
Finally, the over the top political overtones. - don't mind political movies or political satire, but this was not the movie for either. Yes, I get it...Revenge was political too...didn't like it then either.
Porgs, well Disney, I get it. They need to sell merch, but Im not even seeing anybody buying those.

Green milk? I really didn't give it any thought, makes no difference in my life.

Finn is in the friend zone with Rey, I think he realized he would have a better shot with Rose. She puts out.

Leia surviving in a vacuum? A surprising and weird twist, but just as plausible as somebody being able to lift rocks using their mind.

Hyperspace ramming, yes! That is why the Empire started making more use of the Interdictor class ships! http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Interdictor-class_Star_Destroyer, they create a gravity well which prevents exactly this!

Gravity fed bombs... in space.. stupid, but the director probably has a weird fetish for WWII naval battles, which explains the ballistic arcs from Snoke's ship.

Political overtones? To be honest I never paid any attention. I went to see a Star Wars movie. I got a Star Wars movie.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Rather than dwell on the past I've tried to see the new direction through the eyes of my kids.
You raise an interesting point there because I too watch Star Wars with my little girl.

She grew up watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars as her introduction to the series.

The original trilogy are not interesting to her, it looks old and weird in her eyes.

The new episodes fit in better with her perception of what Star Wars is.

It reminds me of my Grandparents who grew up with classic musicals, who scoffed at all modern TV because the greats like Frank Sinatra, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers marked the high point of their viewing experience. The new tv stars and shows could never measure up to the greats!

Sound familiar?

Forgot your password?