Solo (the movie, no spoilers in OP)

is Solo worth seeing

• Yes, but wait for the second run

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but get it on disc.

• Run far away from this movie...highlander 2 was good by comparison.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
All,

I’ve been reading story after story about “Star Wars fatigue” and I am wondering if others are feeling it as well, or is it something else?

First off, I have no plans to see it in the theater, but I MIGHT, get it in disk. That said, If people start telling me it’s a great movie, I might change my mind....but I am not expecting that.

What I am expecting is another one of Disney’s abominations.

The Force Awakens - the force may be awake, but that movie put me to sleep. They made some changes to things. A black storm trooper...a female storm trooper. But then they explained things...sorta. They were no longer clones, but brainwashed or indoctrinated individuals. Ok, no big deal. But, other things had me cringing or falling asleep. The main villain acted like a three year old throwing a temper tantrum most of the time...wait a minute..scratch that, that comparison is unfair to three year olds. Using the force without any kind of training...heck, without even knowing what the force is or how to sense it...yet Rey uses it with ease. Finally, the “action” scenes were pretty much a complete rehash of the fight scenes from episodes 4 and 6. Must be saving the walkers for the next one...

Rogue one. Not bad, but not the best. Certainly better than VII, even better than episode I-III at times...but the digital recreations made me cringe. The way they portrayed the “heroes” though...ugh. Sorry, these rebels were not the good guys anymore. I am almost rooting for the empire at times.

The Last Jedi - ok. Some will say that the SJW theme was too much, blah, blah, blah...honestly, I didn’t care about the politics the movie may or may not have been trying to make (the anti republican theme was extremely overdone though). The problem wasn’t what Poe did, or the other commanded did or did not do. The problem was not a women vs men thing. In fact, you could replace any/some/all cast member(s) with an actor of a different gender, and the movie would still stink because the writing STUNK. Another deritive battle from original trilogy (walkers...called it) another massive temper tantrum thrown by the villain, horrible, horrible special effects (ballistic arcs in SPACE?!?!) the whole Mary Poppins esq thing by Leia, etc. heck. Even Finn’s seeming quick shift of affections. I’ve seen better movies (and ones more sympathetic to men) on Lifetime! A horrible piece of garbage. 1/2 a star out of 5. Should never have been made.

Brings us to Solo. Donald Glover looks to be almost the only actor worth watching, and the action scenes shown are just as deritive of Empire.

I am a huge Star Wars fan, but I just can’t justify going to see what is probably another massive disappointment. I certainly won’t see episode IX is theatres. I don’t see it as Star Wars fatigue, but more of not wanting to see yet another bad movie

So, my question...has anyone seen it, and is it worth going to see in theaters, wait for the disc, or just skip it...

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
The Last Jedi killed the Star Wars franchise for me. I like VII, it was ok, basically IV redone without real characters. Rogue One got that feeling of Star Wars back for me, love it, bought it, but I'm not going to defend it against criticism because it had some bad moments. TLJ, dumb, dumb, dumb. Ruin Johnson took the first seven films and threw them in the garbage and then told the fans they were morons who needed to stop complaining and get used to what their betters were going to be serving them from now on. The Star Wars franchise has changed for me like the Boy Scouts have changed. If Star Wars changes back, I'll consider seeing their movies and buying their merchandise, but this stupidity they are turning out now is clearly for the people who marched in the streets when Trump got elected, so they can start supporting Disney/Lucasfilm.

LookingGlass

Grand Admiral
Dec 27, 2017
RSI Handle
Looking-Glass
The Last Jedi killed the Star Wars franchise for me. I like VII, it was ok, basically IV redone without real characters. Rogue One got that feeling of Star Wars back for me, love it, bought it, but I'm not going to defend it against criticism because it had some bad moments. TLJ, dumb, dumb, dumb. Ruin Johnson took the first seven films and threw them in the garbage and then told the fans they were morons who needed to stop complaining and get used to what their betters were going to be serving them from now on. The Star Wars franchise has changed for me like the Boy Scouts have changed. If Star Wars changes back, I'll consider seeing their movies and buying their merchandise, but this stupidity they are turning out now is clearly for the people who marched in the streets when Trump got elected, so they can start supporting Disney/Lucasfilm.
I agree. I feel they are just killing off legacy characters so they can hand the stories off to the next gen. I really did like the Force Awakens. But I did NOT like last Jedi.. I was very disappointed.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Honestly, I don’t mind them killing off old characters. People die, but at least we see them die on screen....well, at least we get to see them on screen one more time before they die (RIP admiral Akbar).

My issue is that the writing stinks...even for a Star Wars film. While the franchise has never been known for great dialog or whitty writing, at least it had some sense of cohesion, and you knew who the good guys were. Not anymore.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Great flick, i really enjoyed it. Answered a lot of questions but also beckoned some.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
The NYTImes had a review of the reviews, and the by-line was, "They have mixed feelings about this."

Honestly, the reviews have been so "all over the map" it is hilarious.

My position on this has been the same for all the new Disney-era movies --> they are all just a cash grab, they don't care anything about the canon or the underlying meaning and themes of Star Wars. I refuse to even bother to see any.

Forgot your password?