The last Disney Star Wars movie

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Mike Zeroh was convinced Keanu Reeves is gonna play Revan in a live adaptation of KOTOR when:

1) There’s no evidence that Disney is working on a KOTOR show and…..

2) There is zeroh (lol) proof that Keanu Reeves even has any contact with Lucasfilm/Disney.

Mike Zeroh is a hack. Why are certain members here lapping up this clickbait stuff? It’s so obviously fake it’s painful.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Naff, I don’t want to maintain this animosity, so I’m willing to give discourse another try. However fair warning: if at any time I again feel you’re patronizing me in order to make some Leftist point, or are in any other way duplicitous, that will be our permanent disconnect. I respect people when they disagree with me. I do not respect when people patronize others and come to a discussion with a hidden agenda.

As to this DEI issue: there are a million places you can research what it is. Simply put, it replaces meritocracy or valuing someone based upon their character, with a grievance special Olympics where people claim their membership in some minority group entitles them to something: a job, monetary compensation, etc. DEI values diversity of race, sexual preference, etc. but it in no sense values diversity of ideas. It is absolutely draconian when it comes to gatekeeping institutions from heterogeneity. Everyone needs to think alike—like a fascist authoritarian regime. DEI wants people to be hired and fired based upon minority group membership and that is never going to yield a successful society. On its face it makes no sense. Do you want your airline pilot to be hired for her hours in the cockpit or because she checks the proper grievance boxes?

DEI is the pregnant form of Post-Modernism. P-M is the philosophical idea behind this disease, and it’s really helpful to understand ideas from a philosophical perspective. If you want to engage in this (and indeed it is the substance behind all the Disney news), I suggest watch this little primer and ask questions from it. Hicks is a world class Intellectual Historian and this is the best short history I’ve ever seen.

Let me tip my hand and say where I think this goes wrong and the only way it can be properly addressed. Epistemological skepticism is wrong. Claiming we can’t know truth is wrong. Pretending all narratives have equal value is wrong. The only way out of this mess is to assert and explain how truth matters. The moment you let go of truth as an objective thing to be grasped, you are in an intellectually hopeless and irredeemable position, IMHO.

View: https://youtu.be/1cuxEmy_Ipo?si=lSGRiK2_c8cBsFrj
Thanks for stepping back from animosity, it saddens me to hear if I was coming across as such and am delighted to hear you may feel able to move from that place. Never my intention to distress any member of TEST, a passion for exploring a topic is not validation for such an affect on others.

"it replaces meritocracy" Aha, so from your perspective very much positive discrimination it sounds, I think I see.

At this point I have many more questions to explore this including examples going all the way back to women's suffrage for the vote and the gradual adoption leading to the eventual 19th Amendment, but can see that exploration is a journey in a similar vein as the last time we started to really discuss this kind of thing in depth which resulted in the aforementioned anomicities between us - now hopefully a thing of the past and a position of relations I have no desire to revisit.

Knowingly the potential for further friction on this particular topic I don't see any value in asking or exploring only to return to a point of animosity - as said I'm not out to ruin your day or cause issues with members so as previously promised I will continue my reading on this independently and look forward to your next post on a neutral topic.

:o7:

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
More complaints about the radical feminism infecting the franchise—specifically the denigration of the Ezra Bridger character. I don’t agree that Ezra riding bitch in the back denigrates him so much. I do agree they decided to keep the light sabre from him in order to grandstand Sabine and minimize Ezra. That’s a terrible shame because Ezra’s return really should have been triumphant and it was instead deliberately made into a joke. So the complaint here obtains. To be clear, at the end of Rebels, Ezra sacrifices himself to guard the galaxy from Thrawn. When next we find Ezra, he is not who he was, and no reason is given for his limp dick attitude and performance. He’s just shriveled compared to the girls Ahsoka and Sabine.

I especially like the woman’s observation that the franchise has suffered so much harm for so long that the only thing really gonna bring it back is “it’s going to take years of good will” to revive the franchise.

View: https://youtu.be/Z5VdiFbu828?si=-iHhsYFo00g4KUnm

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
"it replaces meritocracy" Aha, so from your perspective very much positive discrimination it sounds, I think I see
Yes. Keep in mind that if it were not this, it would have to be nothing at all. Were DEI as is often claimed, merely an attempt at equality, there would be zero difference between it and the egalitarianism we had before its appearance. Rather, DEI comes directly from the anti-racist writings of Ibram X Kendi, which is teaching that there needs to be not a stronger move to equality, but rather past equality to a form of compensatory justice, called “reparations”. This is what Hicks explains in detail, and the force behind both calls for retribution in the form of cash awards, and discrimination in hiring. This attitude is everywhere today and it is not based upon notions of equality. See the vid.

As an aside let me also note that upon the very few occasions where the Left is still focused on equality rather than compensatory justice, they have fallen prey to ignorance concerning the issue of how the crossed purposes of equality and freedom have played out in the past. The ancient Greeks dissected this problem for us 2,400 years ago—equality and freedom are indeed at crossed purposes unless you restrain equality. If you decide equality of opportunity is not enough, but instead strive for equality of outcome, three things will happen.

First, you will reward the lazy and unskilled at the cost of the hard workers—the thing that kills communism. Second, you develop an attitude completely at odds with sober notions of merit. Third, you sacrifice freedom on the alter of equality, because the ONLY way to get equal outcomes given unequal performance is through powerful, state coercion. You have to become an oppressor. And this is the lesson played out for us all the decades of the Cold War. State oppression and coercion cannot deliver utopia. It violates freedom and delivers the inevitable collectivist conclusion which is always at complete odds with freedom.

BTW, we can see these lessons learned in Ancient Greece played out for us today, not just during the Cold War.

In Ancient Greece when pursuing equality of outcome, on many occasions the Greeks divied up lands taken in conquest and apportioned them as equally as possible, in order to have equality of outcome. The immediate result was always the same. Those who wanted to build a future purchased more land from those who merely wanted cash, and in no time at all enormous inequalities of outcome appeared out of thin air.

This exact same dynamic is playing out today in South Africa, where lands that were paid for decades ago are being illegally seized by the government and redistributed to those of African heritage. There have been three waves of this collectivist, equality of outcome oppression happen in South Africa during the last twenty years, and people are dying. In the 90’s, this land reform was equitable and voluntary to some degree, but since 2006, the government has been either seizing farms, or forcing their purchase vastly below market rate, all in the name of addressing inequalities in the past. Farmers who work the land are being stollen from so those who will not can have the farmers’ just rewards, but those who receive the land simply sell it back to the Dutch farmers families who purchased it legally over a century ago. This is breeding huge violence on both sides.

Crowds of native Africans convinced by this collectivist, anti-Western dogma of equality of outcome routinely murder Dutch farmers who’s relatives legally paid for their farm lands. Any time civilization is forced to this point, you should hunt for demons. Surely only demons can rationalize murder in this way.

This is what happened in ancient Greece, whereby we thought we’d learned our lesson. It’s what has been happening in Africa for decades. It’s where the collectivists here in the US are trying to force us through DEI and compensatory justice. It’s murder.

These lessons learned in Greece concern what is typically called “private property rights” and are part of the bed rock foundations of Western Civilization. We ought not take them for granted. These understandings are important. They probably originated in the codification of the Mosaic Law, but developed separately in Greece. We very deliberately wrote them into our Declaration of Independence and our Constitution here in the US.

“In the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson changed Locke's formula of “life, liberty, and property” to “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness,” but this modification did not diminish the strong American identification of the right to property as an essential liberty.”

“The Fifth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution provides that "no person shall be ... deprived of life, liberty or property without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

There was a time, for over 200 years, where these parts of our history were common understanding. They were taught in public schools. There was always a core requirement in Western Civ as necessary for ALL academic degrees (Bachlors, Masters and Doctorate). Indeed, The Academy was created by Socrates, Plato and Aristotle specifically to safeguard these kinds of ideas in the attempt to make self-governance possible. The Academy was not created to equip for the job market. It was created to make better citizens and part of this is to understand these lessons from the past so we don’t repeat the murder.

Think about the changes we’ve seen here as result of this entitlement version of justice. Laws now protect looters who fill garbage bags with thousands of dollars in merchandise and walk out of the most expensive stores, all in the name of equity. Colleges hire a couple hundred DEI officers while paying part time professors Burger King wages. The land is abuzz with free money and free stuff. All you need is a grievance. That’s what DEI is—the Grievance Olympics. It’s nothing like equality and nothing like justice.

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
More Leslye Headlund antics, this time attacking Kathleen Kennedy and blaming her for the failure of the Acolyte trailer. For those keeping tabs, the first Acolyte trailer was held back from release for over a year because Disney knew it was going to be upsetting to the core fan base. When they finally released it a couple weeks ago it became the first trailer ever to be ratioed with many times more down thumbs than up, with something like 5 million down votes. Headlund is now blaming Kennedy for this, as Bob Iger removes yet more millions from the Acolyte publicity fund. After paying three times what they originally bargained for the series, Disney sees more failure and is trying to save a few hundred million on marketing. Headlund is outraged and blaming Disney, even while the board is discussing limiting and removing Headlund. She’s responding by demanding a raise and a promotion.

View: https://youtu.be/uql9e7FZrUo?si=6bc6L7IB6Sn1CHtZ

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
It’s not really fair to say Leslye Headlund has been fired from any projects since they’re still future and she hasn’t started writing them. However yeah, Headlund has been removed from four scripts on three Marvel TV shows, and removed from a Marvel feature film. Good move by Disney. She was asking 40% above what they’d agreed. That may be the primary reason.
View: https://youtu.be/LWUlm3vK3Xc?si=XZtlgBc4tJ6kziCU

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
So it looks like Ryan Reynolds is going to war with Disney in defense of Hugh Jackman. Both Reynolds and Jackman are saying if Disney doesn’t put some Jackman scenes back into the Deadpool and Wolverine film, along with some reshoots, neither of them will appear in the Avengers Secrete War film.

Disney surely doesn’t want to spend money on reshoots, but the bigger issue is they’re saying the Wolverine flashbacks are too violent for an R rated film.

It sounds like Disney decided they don’t want a positive treatment of things like WWII. While showing Wolverine’s back story, the flashbacks put a positive twist on the Allies side of the war. Apparently that’s not allowed and what Disney is instead pasting together is not what Reynolds and Jackman signed up for.

Point taken. If you signed onto a film that was supposed to treat participation in WWII in a positive light and then that was removed, you’d have a legitimate complaint.

Neither Reynolds nor Jackman have a prima donna reputation. By all accounts they’re easy to work with. So this is not some minor creative disagreement. It’s something else. Reynolds told Disney from the start he would not tolerate any DEI crap in the film. Odds are good this dispute is likewise philosophical at the core rather than a matter of art or opinion.

View: https://youtu.be/AYPSF7f20Po?si=_FYU0R_cJcHtF_Ip

Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?