the Terrifying Turret Build: Single and Dual Joystick xml Locking Aim to Pitch and Yaw

Lonestar the Kilrathi

Rear Admiral
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Lonestar the Kilrathi
is it at all useful when trying to kill people?
that remains to be seen. i just switched control devices from xbox controller to joysticks.
i was pretty decent with the xbox controller, usually with a k/d of 6/5 or something like that. When i first started i was of course more like 1/9, but once i got a handle on the xbox controller i improved quickly.
Now with this new setup i'm having to learn to play the controllers, not just the game. One problem was aiming, i couldn't invert it to my preferred orientation so i spent like 6 hours playing with it and finally got used to it, and then i learned how to invert it... so now i'm having to learn the controls again, lol. also, it might've been better the non-inverted way. Also i'm still wrestling with a couple of keybindings like throttle and decouple and where to put them. I'm thinking racing pedals as opposed to a yoke, and to put throttle and decouple on it. Maybe press the brake for decouple, release it for coupled. idk. we'll see. a yoke with toe brake would do the same thing, but, maybe i could use the clutch for something.

so as for the "pet" xml profile i listed, i dunno, it's going to take some time to see if i can get back to a positive k/d with it.

as for the whole aim locked to pitch and yaw, which is i guess the unusual thing i stumbled upon apparently, it's pretty bad on xbox controllers. you turn your head so fast when you yaw that it's really hard to manage any flying. it needs some sensitivity customization maybe and then we'll see, but right now it'd be pretty much useless except to have fun. it is pretty fun. maybe just try locking pitch to aim_pitch and that, maybe, would be useful. but probably not.

as for aim locked to pitch and yaw on the joysticks, it would probably be better if the reticule moved and your head didn't. when you love your head to yaw, you look left. So in a hard yaw, you look hard out that side. but, when you're decoupled and strafing, yes, absolutely, you're strafing right, newtonian yawing left, looking right, and bombing people with projectiles. so far i've pulled of maneuvers i wasn't capable of before, but maybe i've gimped some of my old flight patterns. but it's looking like i'm going to be adding additional maneuverability, such as circle strafing, and make use of decouple more.

also, and i can't stress this enough, visibility is like 2000% better. that alone keeps me practicing with it.

because if it IS useful when killing people, then it is going to be glorious

Lonestar the Kilrathi

Rear Admiral
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Lonestar the Kilrathi
i tried it

its not
you may be on to something. only time will tell.
i'd better keep bumping that RSI thread so as many people as possible find out and can tell me.
i just wish i had my dev kit 2 right now so i could be flying around obliterating everyone out there trying this sort of thing. or i guess just flying normally id be killing them too probably.

but i'm not sure aimlocking isn't not the most optimal xml binding, even if it can't be played well that doesn't make it not unoptimal. even if it's impossible. but that's for people better than me to decide.

rtmoose

Captain
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
rtmoose
yeah, i think time has told me to stop. locking headlook to a control axis is not good. not good at all. but don't tell the RSI forums, they don't need to know that.
the only ive ever told the RSI forums is some combination of:

"shut the fuck up"

"entitled lazy casual scrub"

"kill yourself irl"

"you are a waste of space and the reason the gaming industry has gone to shit with your lack of standards and bonehead assumptions that everyone else in the world is as stupid as you"

for some reason im permanently banned... cant fathom the reason why

Forgot your password?