Thinking about upgrading my starter ship but would like some advice.

rp2015

Commander
Oct 21, 2018
RSI Handle
rp2015
Hi all, I am new to this game, saw the original CR video on IGN in 2012/2013, have been following more actively since 2015 (signed up on the RSI website) and finally pullet the trigger on 2018 when I was convinced by videos with great actors that the game was really going to be made and I would at least play SQ42. I have the Aurora mr + SQ42 package and while I kind of like the Aurora is able to do satellite and package missions as well as some small trading, when things go bad and some pirates show up, the Aurora isn't a great option. I take forever to kill anything and die fast when something does start shooting at me. Granted I'm no ace but the ship seems simply to fragile and without much damage output.

I understand starting ships are supposed to be updated asap, but I had the chance to fly an Avenger from a friend and didn't really like it that much, the view from the cockpit is worse than the Aurora, it had a bug where my hand keeps trembling and while he was flying it we got popped by some random pirate just as fast as my Aurora. I liked the cargo bay and the ship speed, but still didn't see it as a true upgrade, only a small step up (I might be wrong its just my opinion from 2/3 hours playing with him) When I asked if I should go for it, he didn't seem too convinced, he stated that by the price (28 euros or something) its a nice (not great) upgrade.

The next ship that I would consider is a Cutlass but it goes for 100 euros... even with the option to change my Aurora for it is still 83 euros or something. I do believe this MMO side of the game will be made eventually but I would like to avoid spending around 160 euros (counting with the starting package I already have) on a game in Alpha that, so far, doesn't even have a complete start system.

I know there are sales on this ships but never actually saw one, what kind of price reduction could I expect on a Cutlass for instance? And when do this sales usually happen?

Titan Avenger for ~30 or Cutlass for ~80 which in your opinion is the best bang for the buck?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom shared :)

SullyQuindarius

Admiral
Dec 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SullyQuindarius
Titan Avenger is a great ship, best value IMO. Cutlass Black is also a very good, albeit bigger option.

And there are no sales that bring prices down, except for discount starter packages once in awhile.

-edit- Also, how long ago did you fly the Avenger? It got a nice rework in 3.2.

Last edited:

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Okay the cutlass is often recommended as it is a ship that largely works currently in the game. I.e. has reasonable performance for casual use in combat and can carry some cargo i.e. it is versatile (can also carry a bike). So whats cheaper well the reliant Kore is but it is somewhat poor at combat currently and that really leaves one of the avengers. If money is an issue though I would not upgrade from a starter ship. The game will have to allow for people to function in starter ships as most people own them even if they are not great currently (maybe special missions). If you want to try other things use test discord as people will have other ships to try in the mean time and basically its more fun anyways with the limited things to do in game.

Metal-Muffin

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Metal-Muffin
Unpopular opinion puffin says: get a [325A]. They fly better than anything in its pricerange, cheaper than a cutlass, and will last a tad longer than an Aurora. The trick is to keep flying, use your “terrain” to cover your 6 (or fly with buddies) and pay attention to what got you dead and figure out how to mitigate against it. Practice and skill will go much further in this game than whatever ship you can afford.

Last edited:
Reactions: rp2015

SullyQuindarius

Admiral
Dec 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SullyQuindarius
Unpopular opinion puffin says: get a 350A. They fly better than anything in its pricerange, cheaper than a cutlass, and will last a tad longer than an Aurora. The trick is to keep flying, use your “terrain” to cover your 6 (or fly with buddies) and pay attention to what got you dead and figure out how to mitigate against it. Practice and skill will go much further in this game than whatever ship you can afford.
Problem with that is you can't do anything but combat.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
I guess you want to stay in some what lower price range and not go nuts on expensive ship but get best bang for buck then....
Then I say the New Avenger Titan is great after it latest upgrade if you want a ship that can do a bit of everything, if you're okay with a bit pricier and maybe want a bigger version of that with more fire power that still is as easy to fly alone but give option to bring friends then I say Cutlass Black...

In short Titan or Black is at the moment the most versatile ships that give most use for least buck.

They view you have out from ships vary a lot sure, but as your flying skill excel with a ship you get used to it.
But then if best panoramic 180 degree view from cockpit is what you want then go for a Prospector it's view is unmatched.

CHEERS!

Last edited:

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
I love my Cutlass, great multipurpose ship.

I strongly recommend borrowing one from someone.

*Should be noted that they're reworking ship loudouts, and the current weapons for 3.3 on the Cutlass are moronic.

Last edited:
Reactions: rp2015

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
So basically, I agree with everything everybody said here. My questions are:
1. Do you know what you want to do in the 'verse, when the game finally comes out? Combat, trading cargo, mining, ???
2. Do you know that you can eventually "buy" the ships in-game, with in-game currency?
3. Do you know that all the ships have some bugs? And that they will fix them, but at any given moment, it can be a pain...

So then, the question may be, "What ship can I get now that would be the most fun, that would be the best stepping stone to the ship I really want when the game actually releases?"

In the game, each ship is going to have advantages and disadvantages...the Aurora and Titan Avenger aren't going to have the strong shields of a true fighter ship...but you can't carry cargo in a fighter! Similarly, the Drake Cutlass is relatively inexpensive, but as a manufacturer, Drake uses slightly cheaper components, and maybe you would be better off with a Freelancer or Connie Taurus...etc...

Your best bet now may be to try to fly with friends or groups, and try out other peoples ships and/or man a turret. This may be a bit like real life, where if I borrow a friends Porsche, hopping back into my Ford Fiesta or Toyota Corolla is going to be a let-down. But hey, Soon™ they will have more bugs fixed, more missions, and more things to do.

Reactions: rp2015 and Deroth

Firen

Vice Admiral
Feb 6, 2018
RSI Handle
jeremyD
If you have little money then go for the avenger.
If you can giveaway an extra cash the cutlass is a little better.

You can put a bike in both,
Cutlass have better cargo and have a turret
Avenger is more agile with better speed.

Both are great for entry gameplay

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
If cash is an issue, I suggest swap to a Mustang and see if that works better. If you decide you need to put in more money, borrow some ships here and see what you like by flying them. Depending upon your flight style, the Lancer might be a better upgrade than the Cutty. Depends how you fight. The 325 is a good choice too.

If you want to earn more with cargo, the Lancer really is an excellent choice.

Reactions: rp2015 and Deroth

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
My honest opinion is you should keep your Aurora.

CIG hasn't really started balancing the ships yet, not really, and loadouts are changing all the time. Some ships will get stronger, some ships will get weaker. (I have no idea if the Aurora will be affected).

One common problem people have with the game is they get it in their head that ship A is going to do things X Y and Z amazingly well and so they spend a lot more money than they should on it. Then things change (it's development, things change) and now they no longer think ship A is as good at Z as it used to be and they get upset. The problem is, they shouldn't have spent that money in the first place, and then they wouldn't have cared.

So it's really up to you. You can't go wrong with an Aurora. It's a safe bet. Spending more is risky because this is in active development and things WILL change in ways you don't now expect. If you can effectively burn that money and not care, then go for it. But if you think you might regret spending extra on a ship that no longer acts the way you think it should, you risk upsetting yourself and it will be your own fault.

Good luck with your decision! 🙂

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Great thing about CCUs is you can start by upgrading your Aurora to a Titan. If you don't like it after a month or so then you can CCU the Titan to a 325a. If you don't like the 325a you can CCU that up and so forth, taking small steps over time so the hit to the wallet doesn't hurt so much.

rp2015

Commander
Oct 21, 2018
RSI Handle
rp2015
Awesome advices from everyone, I understand there is no "perfect" ship that would do everything perfectly (especially at low cost) and that we are still in early Alpha so a lot of ships and functions will change. Didn't really think of that before, maybe because I never had the Aurora changed since I got her.

My "vision" of the citizen I would like to be in this universe is not just a fighter, or a solo trader, I would like to do some trade, try to mine a bit, go out simply exploring, be part of a wing of fighters (have to get some friends ingame, my RL friends aren't really into PC gamming), be part of a crew manning a turret, etc, its the many possibilities that got me into it in the first place. Jack of all trades untill I find the one/two most awesome for me ingame, and stick with them choosing my ship(s) accordingly.

I know we will be able to buy ships with ingame currency but if a ship (and not even one of the more expensive ones) costs 100€ on the store I can only wonder how much grinding is needed ingame to get it... and I believe other ships won't simply be attainable by one player, as it should be, but thats another topic.

For now, as advised I may stick to my Aurora and try to find more people on the PU to fly with, and when I feel the time to change is here I will probably start with small upgrades (and small cost to wallet as someone pointed wisely), so getting ships that can do trade and somewhat defend themselves like Aurora->Avenger->Cutlass->... And preventing myself for regreting and even be mad at the game as pointed.

So I guess the natural change of starter ship may be for the Avenger, thanks again for the advice everyone!

Forgot your password?