This might be a stupid qyestion, but....

The Razgriz

Vice Admiral
Jul 24, 2016
RSI Handle
The-Razgriz
So, while "studying" the SC keybindings I noticed that there was a key to toggle coupling, and the HUD in my Hornet has a little thing that says "COUPLED". Can someone please explain to me what this means?

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
Coupled is the "Fly in the direction I am pointing" mode. If you de-couple you can spin the ship around while still going in the direction you where before you de-coupled.
Very useful for turning 180. You de-couple, turn 180 and then use your main engines to go in the opposite direction.

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
Coupled is the "Fly in the direction I am pointing" mode. If you de-couple you can spin the ship around while still going in the direction you where before you de-coupled.
Very useful for turning 180. You de-couple, turn 180 and then use your main engines to go in the opposite direction.
Excellent answer.

Not a stupid question at all. No question is stupid.

When I started played SC, in prehistoric times, I did not understand Couple/Decouple or exactly what Strafe did.
I went into AC Drone Free Flight (nobody to shoot me) and watched my ship in camera view (F4).

"A picture is worth a thousand words."
"A visual image is worth more than all of us explaining it." - I know from experience. I have never had a problem since.

Free Flight is very helpful.
It is a great place for a friend to let you practice shooting him/her.
'There are even landing Pads in the Broken Moon map of Free flight.' [8 total- 4/4]
*** Nice 'quiet' place for a friend to let you fly his/her ship. Just land on the same pad or EVA.

Note: Decoupling is helpful when landing as it is easier to 'align' your ship on the pad.
I like to have my ship facing outward ready for take off. (A fast get away.)

Enjoy your experience.

The Razgriz

Vice Admiral
Jul 24, 2016
RSI Handle
The-Razgriz
Ahh. I see. That would explain why, when I have coupling turned off, my ship decides to hug asteroids.

The Razgriz

Vice Admiral
Jul 24, 2016
RSI Handle
The-Razgriz
Excellent answer.

When I started played SC, in prehistoric times, I did not understand Couple/Decouple or exactly what Strafe did.
I went into AC Drone Free Flight (nobody to shoot me) and watched my ship in camera view (F4).

"A picture is worth a thousand words."
"A visual image is worth more than all of us explaining it." - I know from experience. I have never had a problem since.

Free Flight is very helpful.
It is a great place for a friend to let you practice shooting him/her.
'There are even landing Pads in the Broken Moon map of Free flight.' [8 total- 4/4]
*** Nice 'quiet' place for a friend to let you fly his/her ship. Just land on the same pad or EVA.

Note: Decoupling is helpful when landing as it is easier to 'align' your ship on the pad.
I like to have my ship facing outward ready for take off. (A fast get away.)

Enjoy your experience.
I'll definitely have to take a day and spend some time in Free Flight and practice some flight maneuvers. I usually spend most of my time in AC, but I stick to Vanduul Swarm because I've always learned quicker with bullets streaking past the cockpit. But I'm beginning to learn that SC doesn't care about learning curves. Instead most of my fights look something like this:

Ooh. What's this button do?

"Shields Disabled"
Crap
"Incoming Missile"
Oh crap. Where's the stupid shield button?

"Self Destruct Activated"
Looks like this is the end of the line. Where'd that bottle of Jack go?

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
I usually spend most of my time in AC, but I stick to Vanduul Swarm because I've always learned quicker with bullets streaking past the cockpit. But I'm beginning to learn that SC doesn't care about learning curves.
There is (or at least was when I started a year ago) a training mode, which was kinda useful for learning the controls. There are some bullets there too. :)

The Razgriz

Vice Admiral
Jul 24, 2016
RSI Handle
The-Razgriz
There is (or at least was when I started a year ago) a training mode, which was kinda useful for learning the controls. There are some bullets there too. :)
There's a training mode, but it's unavailable (at least it is for me). Still, there are valuable lessons to be learned from getting blown up. Like don't turn your shields off in combat, or experiment with buttons, or let your "buddy" fly your ship in round 5 of VS while you run to the can.

DarthMatter

Space Marshal
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMatter
The Tutorial was disabled as it has several bugs
I remember that my POV was stuck, so I couldn't see which way the exit was and assumed the doors had closed, so I crashed into everything in that small room. :P
Also take-off and landing was not really functioning as well as you would hope...

Soven Taliesyn

Space Marshal
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Soven-Taliesyn
This is TEST. No question is stupid because every question is stupid. :D

In the end...everyone summed it up. If you're not sure just ask. Around here it doesn't matter the question, you'll still get several people involved to help out.

Forgot your password?