Thoughts about and around Star Citizen: Around the Verse 3.9 - UK

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Following to last weeks ATV 3.8 this weeks episode checks in with the UK studio and unveils a sneak peak at some of the changes to the flight model and the updated Lobby Interface.

First point is: Sandi wears a ridiculous cap. Thats such an awful peace of clothing shit :eek:

01:16 - Studio Update: first interesting point is: they are working on the scanner system, not just on space but also on foot, so that you scan ships as well as persons. Basically, they try to develop a similar look&feel wether you are in your ship or on foot or else. There will be passive and active scanning game mechanics.
08:47 - sneak peak onto the Vanguard Hoplite. Basically its the same ship as the Warden, just with a widened rear ramp and changed interior.
11:33 - Community Update. Barcitizen.sc is now the place to go for all barcitizen community meeting infos etc. This weeks MVP is...well, a space ship sandcastle ftw?
13:42 - Ship Shape: Flight Model Balance: talks about the lowered ship speeds; very interesting. CIG thought that you have to pay too much attention onto your throttle while dogfighting. Thus they start experimenting with reduced ship speeds. Plus they have given the afterburner a "purpose" now, which it hasn't had before because the SC travel speed was too fast. Currently they also are pitching the weapon and shield system. There are lots of information about this topic, so: watch the vid, its worth it :)
23:20 - UI Update: Lobby and Mobiglas - wow! Finally some progress on that imho very important topic. And, I like to point this out: it looks great!! Am totally excited to see and use it within 2.6 :)

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
Looking forward to the flight balance for sure. Ship speeds, gun damages, and armor/shields have definitely become too spread out and I've been [CONCERN]ed that we'd end up all piloting the same couple of spaceships or not be competitive whatsoever.

New UI and mobiglass looks very good. Moar customizing always nice, in my opinion.

I'm going to need convincing regarding the on foot radar. If they are trying to get away from focusing on HUD elements rather than the graphical renders of ships in dogfighting (which I gather they are going for by slowing ships and shortening ranges), why transfer that same issue to the FPS? If you can have a HUD that does all that, I'd like to see it have some sort of downside.
Maybe make the radar be a backpack to take up an otherwise useful equipment or weapon slot, or have some ninja britches to counter scans all together. Then, of course, ninja britches would need their own balancing or else everyone would be wearing them at all times.

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
The ship speed changes should be very interesting. Ships that might previously have been zoom and boom will now be in-range of guns for much longer, so I wonder whether tankability will become more of an important factor.

I'm not sure about the radar changes. Will playing slider-bar whack-a-mole get annoying very quickly? I guess we'll find out soon enough. Great news that the mechanic is being implemented though.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I feel kinda the same as you all above me!

I don't really care for the whack-a-mole radar scans, but I'm glad they have something in place of a simple button push, and that it actually delivers different results!

I'm very excited about the speed changes! PVP Space combat was 78% jousting and the other 22% spent flying in a straight line, just backwards. Another 100% was crashing into something, but that was fine for us Test members :D
It was really disappointing for me. It had almost non of the fun from the classic dogfight style of WC or Freespace.
Although the AI in AC was programmed pretty well to make for a "classic try to follow the turns" style, it was still mostly boom-and-zoom. Now that's fine for the start of a dogfight, but it should turn into a "dogfight" as the name implies lol :D I'm looking forward to this more then anything else, literally! All the new shiny planets and radars and guns look great, but this change makes me actually excited!
CR said things about wanting a classic dogfight, but added that strange bit about us being too busy adjusting the throttle. I hope that was just an unlucky try for explaining why the flight changes will happen, and not a serious look into his thought process behind the changes!
Don't you ever dare oversimplify this game CR! You hear me?! Don't even think about it!

Havrek

Space Marshal
Sep 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Havrek
@#%%$# the Hoplite or any drop ship for that matter. Seriously the only way with Duper is making his entrance on the battle field is by jumping 400 AGL........dark of the night......bringing a can of whoop ass with me.

For whatever reason Chris Roberts has decided to go with the pussified way of bringing troops into battle. He should have gone Star Ship troopers and had grunts jumping from spaceships through the atmosphere........ Any other Dupers with me?!

The rest of it was amazing!

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
It's starting to shape up quicker than most of us can keep track anymore! If this exciting stuff is coming out in ATV.... I cant imagine the type of things they are planning on showing at citizencon!

Not a fan of the radar/scanning system they are designing. This game is based on trying to get as much realism in as possible. Well, as an avionics subject matter expert in the navy, that is NOT how radar works.

When they showed the new UI for star marine and customize your character..... did anyone else notice the watermelon helmet!?

Attachments

Last edited:

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
No, didn't notice. Nice easteregg, haha :D

I'm not looking forward to the "active golf swing ping"-thing
In a bad mood today, if I may ask? A little bit "destructive" you sound. Is there perhaps any positive at least? And finally, what are you trying to express with this "active golf swing ping"...??

Reactions: DansAFK

DansAFK

Admiral
Mar 30, 2016
RSI Handle
DansAFK
Mobi glass ui is coming along real nice, loved the hue colour selection they are implementing on it!

The radar scan gameplay looks like it could be great fun on stealth ships waiting in ambush, focused to not reveal yourself by keeping "quiet" but also scanning for ships trying to stay below the radar.

For ship to ship stand off where you both can't see each other and perhaps your jump drives are down or damaged, this could create some really fantastic hide and seek gameplay. Where the current target acquired system is more about spamming the Target key until something comes into range, this newer system means some active directional scanning with timing involved on clicks to hit sweet spots of scan range vs detection. It undoubtedly means deeper gameplay, not only for solo crew fighters but for multi crew roles where one person can have the task of using the radar systems.

Totally reminds me of when ST: wreath of khan took some naval combat inspiration for their ship to ship combat in the nebula. You can even hear sonar style pings in the background as they are looking for each other with their shields down and a ton of visual static.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
It's starting to shape up quicker than most of us can keep track anymore!
I'm thinking the same thing. I know there are still tons of things that remain, but it's not the same pace that it used to be. Months of waiting would only produce one more ship hangar ready or some other silly little step. Now, we have large steps taken weekly. It's exciting.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Mobi glass ui is coming along real nice, loved the hue colour selection they are implementing on it!

The radar scan gameplay looks like it could be great fun on stealth ships waiting in ambush, focused to not reveal yourself by keeping "quiet" but also scanning for ships trying to stay below the radar.

For ship to ship stand off where you both can't see each other and perhaps your jump drives are down or damaged, this could create some really fantastic hide and seek gameplay. Where the current target acquired system is more about spamming the Target key until something comes into range, this newer system means some active directional scanning with timing involved on clicks to hit sweet spots of scan range vs detection. It undoubtedly means deeper gameplay, not only for solo crew fighters but for multi crew roles where one person can have the task of using the radar systems.

Totally reminds me of when ST: wreath of khan took some naval combat inspiration for their ship to ship combat in the nebula. You can even hear sonar style pings in the background as they are looking for each other with their shields down and a ton of visual static.
Yes, yes, yes, yes and YES! Totally with you in all points. I wasn't very excited about incoming alpha 2.6. But this has changed now by 180° since yesterdays ATV 3.9 :) :) :)

Reactions: DansAFK

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
No, didn't notice. Nice easteregg, haha :D

In a bad mood today, if I may ask? A little bit "destructive" you sound. Is there perhaps any positive at least? And finally, what are you trying to express with this "active golf swing ping"...??
This:
View: https://youtu.be/50Jk-mQ9_pw?t=5m30s

Well the most is awesome,
we will see how the speed reduction will turn out and how it will change combat behavior. (Well I'm not a fan of making things easier, but we will see)

A lot of discussion is going on because of the radar golf swing thing bar up down whatever the fuck it us: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/categories/general-chat
(
Do not implement " spint meter " in the OW PU for the sake of sanity
[URL='https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com:443/discussion/347970/a-radar-that-can-only-scan-what-you-see#latest']A radar that can only scan what you see
[/URL]
[URL='https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com:443/discussion/347970/a-radar-that-can-only-scan-what-you-see#latest'][URL='https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com:443/discussion/347967/dumbing-down-of-mechanics-to-make-it-easy-for-people#latest']Dumbing down of mechanics to make it easy for people?[/URL][/URL]
[URL='https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com:443/discussion/347970/a-radar-that-can-only-scan-what-you-see#latest'][URL='https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com:443/discussion/347967/dumbing-down-of-mechanics-to-make-it-easy-for-people#latest'][URL='https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com:443/discussion/347902/oh-god-no-golf-swing-radar-pings-active-ir-em-sensors-gah#latest']Oh god no - 'golf-swing radar pings? 'active' IR / EM sensors? Gah[/URL][/URL][/URL]
) ^^

Forgot your password?