Torn and need advice: Melt modular Retaliator for Sentinel?!

War Pig

Space Marshal
Dec 11, 2014
RSI Handle
ShinzoAnnigans
Pretty simple and looking for pros and cons. I think of myself as more of a behind the scenes operator focusing on hacks and e-war, but having a Retaliator is pretty baller. I already have a Herald and may CCU my Reliant to the Science model. Also, I upgraded my Andromeda to Aquila. Maybe I already have my answer, but what do you think? Is a Sentinel worth it?

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
The Retaliator is a lot more flexible, offering you more roles from one ship in the early part of the game.

The Sentinel has a single purpose.

I would stick with the Retaliator.

Reactions: SPRNinja

War Pig

Space Marshal
Dec 11, 2014
RSI Handle
ShinzoAnnigans
I'm hoping that one of the 18 modules they're concepting is an e-War type. I guess I could just wait out the concept sale and see if any more info on those trickle out once the Vanguard dust settles down. I'm also leaning towards the lower operating costs. The Retaliator seems to be only slightly easier to operate single pilot than the Connie compare to the 2 Max crew of the Vanguard.. I guess I bought the Retaliator just to have it but maybe it's more ship than I need. I do have a Connie which is most likely going modular as well.

Damn. I hate it when I talk myself into and out of something.

Yex

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Yex
I melted my tali for all the vanguard variants, no regrets. Have money to spare thanks to the battle kits for FPS releases.

War Pig

Space Marshal
Dec 11, 2014
RSI Handle
ShinzoAnnigans
Maybe grabbing the Warden plus the Sentinel battle kit may be an option. But the Tali is probably gonna be flyable soon enough and don't want to miss out on the fun. Good thing the concept sale is going for a little bit. I'll drink on it and see where my mind is at by 9/7

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Keep the Retaliator. The modules will come. The Vanguard is just the flavor of the month.

In the end, it has very little money making flexibility compared to the Retaliator.

War Pig

Space Marshal
Dec 11, 2014
RSI Handle
ShinzoAnnigans
I'm gonna keep the Retaliator. You're all right about its flexibility. Even if I don't fly it too often, its a good option when I need to whack someone over the head with a really big stick. The Vanguard is pretty nice though. Almost bought it during the original concept sale but held off. Il grab it in-game

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
As much as I love the Vanguard, I'm going to side with everyone else and say keep the Tali. It's much more versatile, and can earn you the money to buy that Sentinel later.

Naruw

Grand Admiral
Aug 4, 2015
RSI Handle
Naruw
Think it all matters on 2 factors

1) what other ships do you have and
2) what do you see yourself doing in game.

I know I melted my base Tali for a Harbinger because its sort of the same bomber roll and with the Harbinger i can crew it with 2. I already have a lot of big multi crew ships, the small sexy nature of the Vanguard class is something I don't have and a fun ship i can zoom around with a buddy.

War Pig

Space Marshal
Dec 11, 2014
RSI Handle
ShinzoAnnigans
I think I have all the major roles covered. I have a Connie Eagle for exploration/cargo, Star G for fueling, a Reliant as my starter, and my much prized Herald for information warfare. Although I am a rabid Testie, I can be introverted online and will probably do quite a bit of solo play. I just got caught up in another concept sale and didn't really consider that the Sentinel's role in my fleet is already covered by the Herald and Retaliator. Crewing the Retaliator for those occasional group plays won't be an issue so I need to relax. I'm sure my fellow Testie's who may not have a multi-crew ship wouldn't mind being invited to join me in some adventures.

Forgot your password?