VelocityOne Flightstick

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
Expanding the additional features section on that page answered my main question: "Is there a left hand version, or can it be switched for left hand use in a HOSAS setup?": yes.
AMBIDEXTROUS DESIGN
Designed to control fighter jets, or airliners the main stick has an ergonomic, ambidextrous shape with reversible wrist rest.

Beyond the '8 axis' bit, I couldn't see any specific mention of whether it has a twist axis in the blurb, but the video shows it twisting; looks like it does. The rotating joypad(?) ring around the joint boot looks like an innovation. I'm on the fence about whether it's likely useful, leaning toward 'not really'.

I wouldn't dismiss the on-stick OLED display as useless, it's not, but they show it more as something to use when configuring the stick, rather than in gameplay, and that seems right. Likely that display doesn't do anything for PC users that a config app wouldn't do equally well or better, but for Xbox users (where you're more dependent on the Xbox having an app to configure it) it's likely excellent. Cool.

At a glance, all this seems to make the VelocityOne Flightstick competitive with Thrustmaster T.16000m for space sim use, and potentially better. It's out on 17 November according to that page, so has a couple more days pre-order time to go. It'll be interesting to see some reviews, but based on this, it looks very promising indeed as an entry-level stick. However, I already have too many flight sticks (including a pair of Virpil Constellation Alphas on WarBRD bases). If I didn't, and IAE wasn't right around the corner, I'd be pre-ordering a pair to try.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
What's in the boooox???
I mean what's inside, what's the resolution on the stick, and so on...

I like what I see, but I don't like the fact that they say nothing about the actual internals of the sticks. The ad video is clearly aimed at a very casual userbase who just wants something a bit better than the default gamepad. With all those "cool" functions like the directional pad-ring which is a neat idea, it feels like a 1to1 replacement for a gamepad and that's where the tech ends.

This looks like just a reskinned xbox gamepad with a very large thumbstick to me. Probably good for gamepad optimized games like ED, but I'd not choose this for more serious stuff like DCS.

Reactions: Deroth

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
For 120 bucks it needs to be as good to fly as a T16000M The extra buttons screen and throttles look very useful! I am interested.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
If they were only going for the PC market that price point for what the consumer is getting could be a rough sell considering it places them trying to compete with the VKB Gladiator NXT line, but since it seems to be trying to get XBox gamers to leave the controller realm into a proper control for flight sims (and it being a name brand they're very familiar with) I think this could be an excellent product at a 'fair' price. I wish them well and hope their market competitors take note...if it is sufficiently successful then hopefully game developers for XBox will start testing the waters for games designed around using a stick instead of controllers (and PC game developers...<cough>Egosoft</cough>...will stop making bad design decisions to 'balance' around controllers instead of sticks.)

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
What I like BEST is the dual throttle axes! Most sticks at this price point only have at most one longer throw axis like this, and the ability to have two is IMO a very useful luxury (speed limiter, mining laser, etc.) and something that the VKB NXTs actually have zero of; just the little thumb wheel. Now, I'll NEVER think any sim with peripherals makes the slightest amount of sense on a console; cross-platform stuff is always a dumb compromise, keep Mario and your hack'n'slashers with controllers on consoles and your proper flight/space sims on PC. But, ignoring the xboxy bits that I don't care a lick about, I STILL think it gives you a whole lot for a single lap-based package. With the two throttles and a analog thumbstick, the only notables I think it's missing are a lock on the twist axis, a dual-stage trigger, and a few more thumb/finger buttons on the sides of the grip (though that's probably a reasonable compromise for its ambidexterity). So all in all at the price point, I think it might make a GREAT option for someone who doesn't have space/want to fully commit to a dual setup. I don't think I'd opt for it over dual Gladiators or an X52/56 for example, but I like it a damn sight better than either a single T16000M or that junky T-Flight X. Maybe a tossup to dual T16000Ms but I personally never liked that stick, so I'll leave that comparison to someone more objective.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik

Looking at the video, I'd steer clear of this one for space/combat-sim use.
Horrible shape for precise handling (no thumb rest, sweaty hurting hands), too much tension that you can't change (lack of precise aim in the center, horrible to precisely push diagonally), thumb buttons are indistinguishable by feel (flush) and too soft (accidental press), hats look out of easy reach.
Just get an NXT for combat use.

the constant comment is "oh that tension".
For one, that is caused by a very hard spring which is the sign of poor tolerances and lack of quality. It reminds me of my logitech sidewinder 3d something something. Terrible stick, but still probably miles better than this one.
It just makes you feel like it's better than it actually is. You can see in the vid that the self-test shows it didn't return to zero just after a few small movements. That's not an issue in itself, no joystick can self center perfectly every time, but it also means you will be constantly fighting it just that little bit or you will have to dial in more of a deadzone, depriving you of precise course adjustments just be shifting your grip a bit... You can get used to it ofc and it might be preferrable for some but that's a big no-no for me.
Small constant adjustments on a light spring is okay, but on this? With this shape? You gonna have sweaty palms in 5 minutes, and that's a fact.
Also note how "separated" the x and y axis feels due to the high tensions, try pushing into a diagonal (both axis), it will be hard to do precise movements in that range.

Yeah, I think that's awesome for casual flight with an airliner or such where 90% of the time you twist knobs and push buttons instead of flying with the stick, that trim wheel is absolutely brilliant, but in a precision setting, or fast paced combat I know for a fact this stick will be trouble. There was a cheap Saitek stick (rebranded from something) that used this straight up dildo shape. It also had dual throttles and twist, and a few buttons with dual stage trigger. Sounds good right? It was the worst stick I ever owned and I gave it away to someone who uses for like 5 minutes a year...
Anyways, the issue was (among other things) this shape does not support your hand at all. Look how there is nothing for your thumb to hold onto. The palm support is one thing, but you will be gripping on for dear life and tire of it real fast when you need to do anything other than large single-axis movements. Combine this with the strong spring tension, and you will hate your life.
Okay for civ flight, horrible for space combat.

Other things I noticed in the vid:
- the hats seem to be too high and away for your supposedly average size hand to be comfortable
- the top buttons are flush and apparently too soft. Not great in a combat setting
- the screwholes w included screws is a very nice addition!
- the top display in a PC environment is a useless gimmick along with it's control ring, which I'm guessing you can't config to do anything else. It might be good on consoles though (for the audio adjustments and such)
- the touchpad seems to be a useless gimmick but it might work just fine after some updates and fiddling with settings
- the rgb is nice, and overall I think the stick looks great

With all that said, If you are not trying to become the top ace fighter pilot in SC/DCS/IL2 and you're more into large transports or civilian flight, this looks like a decent choice with the dual throttle and trim wheel.

TLDR.:
I wouldn't buy it over my NXT, but I might get one for dad who flies airliners in MSFS.

PS.: I do appreciate that we are getting more options on the market! When I was looking for a stick a while back, my only choices were the cheapo T16000 or a very expensive Virpil or an unaffordable Warthog. It's nice to see this changing for the better!

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
Yeah I was interested in the mouse touchscreen thingie but the response looks horrible. Also a pretty loose stick it seems. Will keep an eye out for more reviews!

Reactions: Lorddarthvik
Forgot your password?