Webcam based free head tracking

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
So I've tried this out and it works, not really good enough for aiming with unfortunately (though apparently if you build an IR LED clip for your headset it can be made good enough) but damn is it nice to get some glory shots while flying through an asteroid field.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/176833/facetracknoir-fix-for-v0-9

I take no credit for this method, am only linking other peoples stuff. BTW follow those instructions EXACTLY, I didn't install the hotfix for facetracknoir and it didn't work until 30 mins later when I realised what I'd done.

Madfish

Captain
Aug 10, 2014
RSI Handle
dottedfish
Yes, I've done the same using Freetrack and a 100fps Wiimote (IR LED based head tracking)

Currently what's in SC isn't head tracking since you have to aim with it. Most people reduced the sensitivity by a whole lot so that looking around is almost not possible anymore but you gain a "target cone" in front of you. Right now it's either aiming or looking around. :(

LED Trackers are more precise, yeah, however, they require you to mod your camera.
That means opening the cam, removing the IR Light filter and inserting a light filter, in the best case a band filter that removes all light aside from the wavelength of your IR LED. Usually somewhere in the range of 840 - 950 nm.

One of our members sells some acceleration based head trackers that hook into FaceTrackNoIR. Krystal his Name. I'll send him a message since he's a tracker Guru :)

Reactions: Krystal LeChuck

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Hey guys. Yeah I'm selling accelerometer/gyros trackers based on the EDTracker design, with a nice TEST logo imprinted on the PCB. The price is 30US$ +postage (around 8US$ for most of the world). There is stock left so orders are shipped next day.
The trackers offer 3DOF (Pitch, Yaw, Roll) and work with Opentrack as TrackIR emulation. If you have a webcam you can enable it as a secondary input with FaceTrack API and set it to X Y Z translation for a complete 6DOF.

Reactions: that_frog_kurtis

ODST-Actual

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2014
RSI Handle
ODST-Actual
Hey guys. Yeah I'm selling accelerometer/gyros trackers based on the EDTracker design, with a nice TEST logo imprinted on the PCB. The price is 30US$ +postage (around 8US$ for most of the world). There is stock left so orders are shipped next day.
The trackers offer 3DOF (Pitch, Yaw, Roll) and work with Opentrack as TrackIR emulation. If you have a webcam you can enable it as a secondary input with FaceTrack API and set it to X Y Z translation for a complete 6DOF.
Yo Cpt. LeChuck - I would buy one. Still got some available?
Is it the heat-sensitive EDTracker model or the step-up?

Erroll

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Erroll
Even if it was not good enough for aiming it would be cool to repurpose my webcam with open track to look around. My HOTAS only has one hat switch and I want that dedicated to thrusters, not looking..

How do I get one of these?

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Yo Cpt. LeChuck - I would buy one. Still got some available?
Is it the heat-sensitive EDTracker model or the step-up?
I might have one unit available within the week. The step-up model. It is more expensive though (45 USD+postage). The mail with the component could be lost though cause it is really delayed. I will tell you once I get it.

that_frog_kurtis

Space Marshal
Dec 3, 2013
RSI Handle
Mr LeChuck's product is of very high quality and they work great, I've had one for a few months now and it rocks.

Reactions: Krystal LeChuck
Forgot your password?