What's all the whine about LTI on the official forums?

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
I seriously don't get the whine and all the open threads.

Did the forums get jacked by some influence group?
Grey market assholes perhaps. Throwing timbers and quietly adding flame and gasoline into the mix?

We all know that grey market has some of the worst oppotunistic scum on earth.
Some of those people play in the big numbers, they are investors playing with their stock etc.

So naturally they want to influence the cash flow (which has dwindled for them considerably).

Just my theorycrafting here fellaz, nothing more.
But I still don't see any other reason than money, which could cause the official forums get so aflame regarding this topic.

Maybe I see conspiracy in everything nowadays, or maybe I just see broken logic and I try to make sense.

Trick Shot Bob

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Trick_Shot_Bob
It seems to be a small but vocal minority, you may be right regarding the LTI traders playing this a little.

Over all I don't think LTI is going to have that much of an impact in the PU.

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
If ship insurance is handled anything like EVE's insurance it won't unless you're always getting blown up and not making any money while doing it.

UnderSc0re

Space Marshal
Mar 17, 2015
RSI Handle
UnderSc0re
Ben has stressed so many times that it won't be a problem. People freaking out about need to chill. No one cries that much when the first free 100 hot dogs are already given out at a baseball game. My guess is that it be so cheap it wont matter and if it's 5% of the total cost similar to Elite Dangerous or even more it'd be once a month. Maybe they'll have a buy 6 months or more at one time option for a slight discount like in real life. If you can't afford it for your ship I would recommend parking it and get some savings by working crew on other people's ships.

For the most part I view the people craving LTI on everything similar to collectors who need first editions of items or serial numbers under 100. I also think a lot of them are going to try and sell at an even bigger profit than people are now closer to launch and either succeed or fail due to a flooded market. With the ones that already made $30 or more on a LTI ship right now laughing all the way. I'm a collector too but I also know I'll probably blow up my HULL B a lot in the beginning. That said I got it because I wanted to support development and have a cool hauler early for our mining missions and personal use.

Last edited:

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Well i own several larger ships and I only have one ship that has no LTI on it, it has a 2 year anniversary insurance instead, which I think is almost the same.

For people that have a lot of larger ships, I expect they will save a fair ammount.
Larger ship insurance will be more expensive naturally.

Let's say you have 5+ ships and you ony play one most of the time.
Insurance on other ships is still ticking while you are logged in.

People with smaller ships will not even notice I expect, but those who own large ships would feel it.
Any LTI is good LTI.

So if you are a new backer/player in SC, you have clearly missed most concept sales.
Even as it stands, you can still have almost any ship with LTI, due to CCUs.

Buy cheap concept ships, yes I said ships.
Buy several Reliants when the concept sale comes online soon.
CCU to other ships later as they become flyable in AC 2.0 and beyond.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
The LTI issue was almost dead, then it came back with concept ships.

Now the Starfarer G totally triggered the LTI crowd again!

The Starfarer concept was LTI, people rushed to buy it because they wanted the LTI deal for its perceived value.

There is a sort of rushed feeling to buy an LTI ship, most of the time we do not have much details on it, and the Starfarer crowd had to wait a really long time to get a serious update and images on what they had bought.

Then along comes the Starfarer G, which is very cool looking, and it came with LTI!

The argument is that it is a "new" concept, even though it was based off the original design.

This got the old backers angry, and the new ones happy with glee!

Reactions: Bishop

that_frog_kurtis

Space Marshal
Dec 3, 2013
RSI Handle
It boils down to:
  • LTI was given as an incentive to back early
  • LTI was removed after November 2013 and wasn't coming back
  • There was an anniversary sale "get in now last chance for LTI"
Wave 3 ships rolled out
  • ohwaitheresLTI.jpeg
  • No one really cares because woot LTI on our new ships too
  • People got the Starfarer and other wave 2 ships waited with no word about them for 2 years
  • "Here is the Starfarer bigger and better and dat LTI"
  • Old Starfarer owners are like u wot? We got told "last chance to get LTI Starfarer 2 years ago, innit m8"
  • Shitstorm starts on forums, everyone complains about everything life ruined universe ruined.
The stupid thing is that CIG constantly say LTI means nothing, why is it still so valued by everyone to the point of foaming at the mouth crazy? Because they haven't elaborated on that at all. They haven't shown the mechanics or systems they want to put in place to make it "no big deal." And then, to confuse themselves and us even further, they bring it back after they say "its no big deal and wont be back" in inconsistent and ill thought out ways.

In November 2013 they should have outlined the insurance system and if they had just said "You can't fly your ship without some form of insurance, the most basic, the equivalent to LTI, is like uber cheap you guys. You will never permanently lose any ship, LTI or not, unless you are trying to insurance scam it. Yes even you pirates."

Boom, LTI completely devalued. But it's too late for that now, people be frothing at the mouth.

Edit: Godamnit Montoya you are always sniping my shit, first the Starfarer with kegs shit and now this. I have to find some sort of wizard to get me on your level via magic or something.

Last edited:

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Edit: Godamnit Montoya you are always sniping my shit, first the Starfarer with kegs shit and now this. I have to find some sort of wizard to get me on your level via magic or something.
Sorry man, I can edit my post out, yours was better formatted!

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
The LTI issue was almost dead, then it came back with concept ships.

Now the Starfarer G totally triggered the LTI crowd again!

The Starfarer concept was LTI, people rushed to buy it because they wanted the LTI deal for its perceived value.

There is a sort of rushed feeling to buy an LTI ship, most of the time we do not have much details on it, and the Starfarer crowd had to wait a really long time to get a serious update and images on what they had bought.

Then along comes the Starfarer G, which is very cool looking, and it came with LTI!

The argument is that it is a "new" concept, even though it was based off the original design.

This got the old backers angry, and the new ones happy with glee!
I've definitely felt that pressure for LTI. The Gemini is out there right now, taunting me with the opportunity to own another ship and never have to worry about insurance, a reasonable quibble with a larger hangar of ships. (Gonna hold off, buy extra Reliants, CCU to other ships as desired, then do a happy dance.)

Still, I'm not mad that they re-issued a ship with LTI. I've never once felt spat upon or slapped in the face, or any of those silly hyperbolic analogies that people love to make. I bought the ships that I did because I wanted them and I knew the money was going to a good cause. Everyone who's so damn upset by this needs to either chill the fuck out, or leave (and give me their ships on the way out).

Reactions: thanatos73

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
If you guys have watched the todays Reverse the Verse, Ben and others again confirmed that LTI will be completely meaningless, well the hull insurance is.

We should worry the equipment and cargo insurance.

that_frog_kurtis

Space Marshal
Dec 3, 2013
RSI Handle
Sorry man, I can edit my post out, yours was better formatted!
Haha no all good

If you guys have watched the todays Reverse the Verse, Ben and others again confirmed that LTI will be completely meaningless, well the hull insurance is.

We should worry the equipment and cargo insurance.
Nope, he just said it again. They need to show why, because until they show why, and keep offering it as if it is valuable, people gon froth.

Reactions: RipVanDan

RipVanDan

Space Marshal
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
RipVanDan
Not bashing any of you guys with binders full o'.. no wait hangers full of LTI ships. However for those of us that found this game within the last 6 months or so, it kind of sucks when you are told don't worry LTI is worthless. The only opportunity we have had for LTI is multiple hundreds of dollar ships or the Hulls. If it is so worthless let me buy a couple ships with 2 months insurance and trade you straight up for yours with LTI(Captain Richard you rock). How much value do any of these virtual ships have? LTI has made a whole lot of people money in the grey market. Now I am rambling and frothing a bit so I am getting off the soap box.

And another thing, how uber pissed are people going to be if they don't have CCUs for the Reliant.

Last edited:
May 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Bertoxolous the Perplexed
It boils down to: snip

Meet me in the dumpster behind Denny's in 20 minutes and we'l talk. I will also 3 pounds of rehydrated salt and half a cow. No Bulls though, god help you if you bring a Bull!

Hugs and Kisses,
Bertoxolus the Irrelevant

that_frog_kurtis

Space Marshal
Dec 3, 2013
RSI Handle
Not bashing any of you guys with binders full o'.. no wait hangers full of LTI ships. However for those of us that found this game within the last 6 months or so, it kind of sucks when you are told don't worry LTI is worthless. The only opportunity we have had for LTI is multiple hundreds of dollar ships or the Hulls. If it is so worthless let me buy a couple ships with 2 months insurance and trade you straight up for yours with LTI(Captain Richard you rock). How much value do any of these virtual ships have? LTI has made a whole lot of people money in the grey market. Now I am rambling and frothing a bit so I am getting off the soap box.
You're right man. Original and vet backers were told that we would get LTI as a nice little exclusive as an incentive to back early. Then it turned out that anyone could get it anyway and so we felt short changed. But the truth is that it was the wrong thing to give us as an incentive. Its got game play repercussions and, because of its poor handling, a high perceived value.

At this stage everyone who pays real money should have LTI, CIG need to give it to everyone and then give original and vet backers something else that's cool and exclusive but has no game play effects.

Kahoshi

Lieutenant
May 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Kahoshi
I never felt short changed when LTI came back. I was surprised, but hey it meant that I could get LTI on all the fancy new ships. I recognize that LTI is meaningless, but I can't help but need it on ships personally. It's a condition.

Gstar Nova

Vice Admiral
Dec 11, 2014
RSI Handle
Gstar Nova
Its not so much the LTI that has backers from the first 2 years and others concerned. Although when you have 20 plus ships a little thing can be a bit larger. Not the LTI as much as trust when investing your money you would like to trust that person/company. When LTI was offered with the Starfare variant this reversed a long standing understand cig has had with early backers. So what maybe nothing but maybe this is the start of lets say what ever it takes to keep the money rolling in then do what ever the __ we want.

KegMeister

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 21, 2015
RSI Handle
KegMeister
I honestly don't get this LTI issue.

Is the argument of rolling back their promise about no LTI for any future ships or no LTI for variants? If the former - I'm not sure what your concern would be other then if you sell on the secondary market, to which I think "who cares." RSI is not be worried about the secondary market. If it's to the later, again, the only potential concern about no LTI would only benefit the secondary market.

I think the the argument that "RSI isn't keeping it's promises" is a bit weak as well. If they were reducing or removing benefits/features, those that have a concerns with RSI's integrity may have a point. But adding LTI is an enhancement to the game (except to secondary market which RSI is not concerned with) and therefore a win for the community.

While RSI has been slow to address some concerns, they are addressing them and the game has only improved in what has been delivered and what is being promised. It's not like they don't have a lot on their plate.

I have way too much money invested in this game - and despite that I have no qualms or concerns with LTI being introduced, removed, reintroduced, etc. These individuals need to chill out, crack open a cool can of goodness, take a sip, and chill out. The game will be great, and I think we are all seeing how receptive RSI is to feedback - and I find it encouraging that they are making changes and addressing these concerns when brought up by the community.

But to call RSI evil and distrustful before the game is out and we see how LTI works (RSI keeps saying it's not going to be a big deal - and I imagine if it becomes one, RSI will balance it to live up to their promise) is childish and shallow. What's the line from his Purple Madnesty, "act your age, not your shoe size."

Reactions: Bishop
Forgot your password?