22 years ago, Star Citizen was already born

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
1996 was an absolutely amazing year. I had just graduated college. I went to the olympic games in Atlanta. The Nintendo 64 was released. Big Blue beat Kasparov in a chess match. The Mars Pathfinder was launched. The internet was really starting to become a thing (1M to 10M sites in that year). Duke Nukem 3D came out on shareware (Hail to the King, Baby!). Iraq was no longer on every channel and it was replaced with mad cow disease. Everyone was talking about that one...

It was an amazing year. It seems like such a long time ago when you look back. But still, even way back then, Star Citizen had already been born. CR had already started dreaming about the possibilities of building the world that is now under construction. He was already thinking about ways to make it work and what he would include. The necessary technology hadn't been created yet, but the idea was already born.

I found this interview and it blew me away that he was already talking about space games and online worlds.

Metal-Muffin

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Metal-Muffin
‘96.... let’s see... I had just graduated high school; got into “raving”; found the Mecca of women, hackysack, and caffination: The Coffee Shop (mine was called “Poor Dick’s”), and I began experimenting with LSD and MDMA, and I discovered the miracle that was metallic-shiny clothing and JNCOs. I had no idea about space games, was getting laid instead of playing Nintendo 64, and eventually became homeless for a little while. I think that with the good and the bad, it was a good year and I wouldn’t have given it up for anything. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
‘96.... let’s see... I had just graduated high school; got into “raving”; found the Mecca of women, hackysack, and caffination: The Coffee Shop (mine was called “Poor Dick’s”), and I began experimenting with LSD and MDMA, and I discovered the miracle that was metallic-shiny clothing and JNCOs. I had no idea about space games, was getting laid instead of playing Nintendo 64, and eventually became homeless for a little while. I think that with the good and the bad, it was a good year and I wouldn’t have given it up for anything. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
You just gave me my life story from '98-2000. Haha.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
You just gave me my life story from '98-2000. Haha.
That was pretty much the late 90's for everyone really. We lived our formative years without those fancy twitter books and facie pages. There was no instagram. We didn't skype. Drug dealers were the only ones with pagers, and wall street execs were the only ones with car phones.

We didn't have tinder. We had to ask girls out in person. We had to physically walk up to them, grow a pair, and ask them if they wanted to go on a date. The only "swipe right" was that horrible credit card imprint machine when you paid for the popcorn. There was no omeggle, let alone dick picks or sexting. For better or worse, when you hooked up, it was like christmas. It was always the first time you got to see what was under the wrapping. I feel bad for kids now. They will never know that excitement.

Our lives had a constant infusion of caffeine, nicotine, THC, LSD, alcohol, and PB&MM sammiches (peanut butter and magic mushroom sandwich). It had to be. All of our interactions were face to face, for better or worse. We needed chemical assistance to keep things.... rolling. It was the way life was and I had a hell of a time. Yep, the late 90's were the shit. Looking back, I'm just glad I made it through.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
That was pretty much the late 90's for everyone really. We lived our formative years without those fancy twitter books and facie pages. There was no instagram. We didn't skype. Drug dealers were the only ones with pagers, and wall street execs were the only ones with car phones.

We didn't have tinder. We had to ask girls out in person. We had to physically walk up to them, grow a pair, and ask them if they wanted to go on a date. The only "swipe right" was that horrible credit card imprint machine when you paid for the popcorn. There was no omeggle, let alone dick picks or sexting. For better or worse, when you hooked up, it was like christmas. It was always the first time you got to see what was under the wrapping. I feel bad for kids now. They will never know that excitement.

Our lives had a constant infusion of caffeine, nicotine, THC, LSD, alcohol, and PB&MM sammiches (peanut butter and magic mushroom sandwich). It had to be. All of our interactions were face to face, for better or worse. We needed chemical assistance to keep things.... rolling. It was the way life was and I had a hell of a time. Yep, the late 90's were the shit. Looking back, I'm just glad I made it through.
Huzzah and well said! Haha.

I also am glad I survived. Especially the meth . . .

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
I'd been out of the Navy for 4 years and I remember drinking Guinness, playing MTG and doing a lot of computer repair. I was also waiting for a multiplayer version of WC: Privateer that I was sure would be built to connect across the internet like Doom or, later, Quake.

Forgot your password?