A Tale of 3.1

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
So I'll admit it's been a while since I've gotten into SC. The amount of things to do in the PU before 3.0 was scarce and I haven't had much time since 3.0 dropped to play around. So a few things have changed and I don't know how to work a ship. But I decided since my original favorite ship was now flyable (Reclaimer!) I was going to hop in and see how it goes.

I spawned in my familiar bed in Port Olisar and promptly ran downstairs to spawn a ship. Luckily I had remembered watching a video on needing to hold F and pick an option or my adventures would've been cut short by a door...

Upon going downstairs I walk up and check out a computer screen. Remembering F again, I am able to get in and find my original draw to the game staring back at me, my Reclaimer is the first option! The voice tells me it has been spawned at the designated landing pad. (It didn't tell me which pad) So I follow the marker and eventually find my ship. Here's where one of the first "changes" greets me. I find someone else lowering my ship's elevator to ride inside! Last time I played, no one could initiate the opening of a ship. If you opened it then others could climb inside, but you had to be the first. No longer is the case I guess.

With the awkward ride up into the ship over, I figure I might as well follow the guy since he takes off in a sprint. I chase him through a couple doors and another elevator to find he went straight for my bridge! (I never would've found it without him...) I remember how to open up chat and begin talking to other people asking how he got aboard and how I could remove him. Meanwhile, he takes us through Quantum Travel to some unknown location.

About this time, I thought I saw the message that we had left the "safety" zone or whatever it's called. So instead of trying to find a button to eject him, I pulled out my pistol and promptly shot him in the head several times. Turns out it works! But now I'm lost in space and "B" isn't pulling up my Quantum Travel.
(Thanks changes! :angry:)

So I decide to go exploring on my new ship while I'm adrift in space. But then hear the sounds of gunshots. I rush back to the bridge and jump in the seat, only to realize I don't know how to shoot things and have opened something from the command seat that doesn't allow me to fire my guns. I finally figured it out and closed the thing before blowing up 5 NPC ships. (Thankfully Reclaimer shields are beefy!)

Going back to exploring, my game crashes...

Maybe I'll have time to explore it this weekend.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Hah sounds like an adventure. I crash every 20-40 minutes so don't worry, you're not alone. Also I don't like that it takes hours for some of the ships to re-spawn when reclaimed from a crash, but they might be including a fix for that in a soon-to-be-released patch.
You might also want to open chat if you've spawned one of the more interesting ships. Sometimes people will ask who's Reclaimer it is, and tell you they're exploring it. (occasionally they'll ask... sometimes, but often they just tell you.)

Forgot your password?