Advice on new pc build

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
So my gf is finally talking about getting a new computer, she saw me playing on mine with the graphics turned all the way up and she decided it was time. Plus support for windows 7 is going to end soon. Right now she is playing with an HP Pavilion something or the other that is pretty much stock from 7 or 8 years ago (I think I upgraded it to 4 GB of ram at some point because she has a 32 bit version of windows). She doesn't really need anything extreme, the only game that she plays currently is Lord of the Rings Online, but I want to get her something that if a newer game does come out and catches her interest she can play it on decent settings (such as if she sees me play SQ42 and she decides she wants to give it a go). I have an MSI GTX 1070 8GB sitting in the attic so I don't have to get a graphics card, but I'm trying to put together something for her that isn't too expensive. So far I was thinking:

CPU: Intel i5-9400f
Motherboard: Asrock B365 Pro4
Memory: Gskill Aegis 32GB 2666Mhz
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB
Power: Corsair RMx 1000w 80+ gold

According to pcpartpicker that will be around 800 dollars for the stuff I need to pick up, plus I need to find a case. She wants to be able to keep it on her desk like the HP Pavilion so a full tower is out. She was also looking to spend around 6-700 bucks. Taking a look at it I can probably just get her 16GB and a smaller SSD, plus the power supply doesn't need to be that high more than likely. And I only selected Intel because that is what I've always used, if AMD is better and cheaper I'd be willing to look at it. Any thoughts?

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
So my gf is finally talking about getting a new computer, she saw me playing on mine with the graphics turned all the way up and she decided it was time. Plus support for windows 7 is going to end soon. Right now she is playing with an HP Pavilion something or the other that is pretty much stock from 7 or 8 years ago (I think I upgraded it to 4 GB of ram at some point because she has a 32 bit version of windows). She doesn't really need anything extreme, the only game that she plays currently is Lord of the Rings Online, but I want to get her something that if a newer game does come out and catches her interest she can play it on decent settings (such as if she sees me play SQ42 and she decides she wants to give it a go). I have an MSI GTX 1070 8GB sitting in the attic so I don't have to get a graphics card, but I'm trying to put together something for her that isn't too expensive. So far I was thinking:

According to pcpartpicker that will be around 800 dollars for the stuff I need to pick up, plus I need to find a case. She wants to be able to keep it on her desk like the HP Pavilion so a full tower is out. She was also looking to spend around 6-700 bucks. Taking a look at it I can probably just get her 16GB and a smaller SSD, plus the power supply doesn't need to be that high more than likely. And I only selected Intel because that is what I've always used, if AMD is better and cheaper I'd be willing to look at it. Any thoughts?
Honestly, it's a good system. But like all things, it will garnish opinion and shit posting.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Unless you're going to push the envelope, there's no reason to switch from Intel, but AMD would also be ok. Even at the high end, it's questionable to switch, unless you plan on getting a new PC every 3 or 4 months. At the high end, obsolescence is a fact of life. If you're farther back on the curve it doesn't make any difference overall. Buy what you're comfortable with, that you can afford, because in that price range there is plenty of well tested options. That's my best advice. Don't fall for marketing schlock that gets spread about like herpies in a whore house.

Also, fwiw @Bambooza has a pretty good grasp on it too, probably better than I do.

Last edited:

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Woah, wait. If you're just going to have a GTX 1070 in there with an I5, this is probably not a good idea.

Your system would be hitting like 450W MAX (if you add a bunch of fans and HDDs etc. not listed here). Corsair RM1000x efficiency curve suggests that the PSU would be at it's peak efficiency at around 450W. You'd practically never be hitting that. You'd probably be mostly on 100W to 250W, which is the most inefficient part of the PSUs efficiency curve.

Maybe get something like 550W or 650W psu, it'll be cheaper in every way. Both initial price and power consumption.

Last edited:

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino

All around a nice setup but:
as Sanzennin said your PSU is way much over dimensioned: I'm running a GTX 1070, a I5-6600, 3 HDD, 2 SSD 5 fan and a water cooler pump pretty fine with a 650W PSU.
Save same coin, and grab a better rated PSU and, for cablig management, do your self a favor: buy a modular one it will reduce the headhake for cabling in small and cheap case.

Olso RAM seems a bit of on overkill: If you GF plan to use the same rig for 6-8 year then keep the 32 GB planned, otherwise 16Gb should be sufficient for a long time.

And a suuggestion of the SSD: a samsung evo of 1TB will cost a lot, grab an NVMe driver for 500GB to be use ofr SO and base program and a second cheaper SSD 1TB for mass storage, just a kingstone or similiar will work perfectly fine whitout cost much

Reactions: Bambooza and FZD

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
buy 16 now and 2x8, then expand to 32 later for memory if she needs it.

Get a decent case with good ventilation that is quiet and easy to clean out.

Reactions: Bambooza

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264

My suggestion would be buy her a used build off ebay and upgrade certain parts as needed your dollar will go alot further.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYcHHaQh-IM

Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?