AI Blades

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I wouldn’t say this is a great idea. It’s merely shifting the capabilities of consumable sub components which give a buff, and NPCs which grow in experience, to the blades. However, the number and type of blades are still limited by the ship frame.

If I had to guess, this guy isn’t familiar with the plans for consumable sub-components and NPCs. I don’t personally see this as significant. If you lose your ship you lose all NPCs and sub-components, so what is planned is already performing the function he’s suggesting and his change makes blades more powerful than NPCs, which is I think what CIG is trying to avoid.

Reactions: Sky Captain

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Cig have no plan to create AI blades they could have done it like 6 years ago the technology's already there. They literally have an obsession with forcing people to man turrets.

• Wut

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Yes well you understand, the point is to derive a significant benefit from cooperative gameplay. They’re doing what they can to ensure groups playing together are more powerful than players soloing. Elsewise, there would be no turrets. They didn’t work in WWII and they need synthetic propping up in SC to be worthwhile. Turrets get better aim aid and capacitors than pilots, specifically so players will use them.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I just think they're flogging a dead horse. Theres nothing fun about sitting in a turret for 5 hours.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
On human vs. AI manned crew: Its hard to buy the idea that CIG has ' no plan' given what they have presented to date. Granted some things remain unclear. But my hunch is that: 1) CIG will eventually see ship sales/revenue begin to peter out, which will be a concern to them as a 'for profit' corporation, 2) as a result, they will be looking for a next 'player-directed' source of revenue other than ship sales and subscriptions, 3) the sale of NPC crew / AI blades for ships already sold is a next obvious funding horizon for the corporation / game that they will not be able to pass up, and 4) as a result, CIG will (eventually) go back to their earlier-advertised model that the more game packages someone owns the more NPC crew that they can obtain (Afterall, if you can sell multiple copies of the same game to each person, why not? Especially if the cost of game-packages can be escalated over time now and into the future.). Bottom line: Expect to see more package sales highlighting 'LIT NPC crew' or blades in the future.

Last edited:

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I wrote the wrong word. Rather than "no plan" i meant "no intention"

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I’m curious. If you think AI blades should be available to replace all PC turret gunners and the like, do you also believe all players should be able to accomplish all tasks in game solo, or do you think just manning the turrets should not require cooperative play?

So for instance, should players be able to replace all engineers with blades and NPCs such that all ships can be handled solo?

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I don't know the answer Mr Reaper. on the one hand large ships should need multiple players to be at their most effective, but that doesn't mean you should be outright punished for having a medium to large ship and being on your own just because none of your mate happened to came onine at thursday at 3pm, also on the other hand a small(er) ship should absolutely not need 5 players at all times to just to function at a basic level such as changing fuses constantly or putting out fires with an extinguisher.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I think we’re agreed. If I understand what CIG has said on this, you’ll be able to hire engineer NPCs to handle the little stuff, but in order to access the more complex and powerful functions of full Damage Control systems on cap ships, you’ll need both a player, and a couple NPC engineers. Same with operating hanger bays effectively, loading torpedoes aboard the Polaris, etc. I think these are all going to have mini games associated with them and these should be in Squadron 42.

Forgot your password?