AIM-174

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
For those interested in missiles, the hidden gold here is the new AIM has a much larger tube or diameter. Radar cross section missiles are guided by a phased array transmit/receive antenna, the power and sensitivity of which is a quadratic function of radius, so these missiles not only go faster and reach farther, they will track better too, against targets land, sea or air. Twice the radius tube means four times the power out and sensitivity in, so these are world record setting missiles, albeit heavy ones that will not fit inside the F35 missile bays.

As an aside, years ago I championed the notion of repurposing the B1 as a long range missile platform that could track, target and launch air to air missiles to great range and basically follow 50 miles or so behind a strike team, and hit targets that pop up in front of it. Now that the F35 has interferometric radar that forms a synthetic aperture between F35s and Loyal Wingman drones, they can track targets out hundreds of miles and share data with following missileboats. I still think this is the best use for the B1, since it lacks modern stealth and is at high risk if it gets close to modern defenses. This missile makes that more likely. The Lancer can carry 40 of these missiles if set up for them. (And personally I love the B1. I think we should get another three decades out of it.)

View: https://youtu.be/dVadwbWSteA?si=uNlr1sp8zNe5eLK9

Last edited:
Forgot your password?