And I thought I was done with ships....

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
Sorry (with a capital 'S') in advance @Thalstan, I'm highjacking your thread, rather than making a new one.

Alright @Adiran, here's my thoughts. I want to get the maximun utility out of the least amount of ships in game. I initially wanted to only have about 4 ships, I now have 7, plus Dragonflies.

Here's what I want: I want to be a privateer, an explorer, a salvager, a smuggler, and a combat pilot. I would also like to have a solo-able multi-role ship within that mix.

I have the Mega Explorers Pack:
Terrapin - keeping. Small exploration covered
Freelancer DUR - maybe keep, maybe upgrade to the dedicated salvage ship when shes released. Situation will dictate. She COULD be my multirole and smuggling ship. But I really love the Cutty, and the Cutty fits into the privateering puzzle better.
Aquila - Redundant, having a Carrack and a Terrapin. Thinking upgrade to Harbinger, then buy BUKs to cover the other combat roles.
Carrack - Large Explorer. My dream ship (I think). I really want a reason to keep her, but I have CCU's to all the other $350 ships just in case a better way presents itself. She could even become a Polaris if I keep the Aquila.
315p - Upgraded to Gladius for the time being to play with combat. This ship will get upgraded, probably to another fighter.
Dragonfly - Upgraded to Avenger for the time being to play with combat. This ship will get upgraded to a Cutty, to fit into the privateering role/multiuse, smuggling.

I also have the Caterpiller Combo:
Caterpiller - keeping for privateering and salvage. I am expecting salvage modules to be available.
2 x Dragonflies. - Keeping for spacebikes and planetary speeder bike races.

What are your thoughts? I know I have bases covered, but what I'm looking to do is reduce the number of ships while keeping the utility of my fleet up. Essentially I'd like to have a good balance of soloable ships that I can use when I'm not available to play for long periods with other TESTies.
Don't get me started on the fighter question. Which one or two to end up with. That is burning a damn hole in my brain, haha.
So you want to be those things in that order? lol or just be able to do all of them whenever you want?

Well right now going off new info from 2nd QnA on Terrapin then it's going to depend on what you want to do with exploration.

Judging by what you have said tho only 2 of your roles you want to do will not be driven by exploration. Privateer role being someone who can do anything needed. Be it crew someone else's ship or haul ore or even protect a convoy. So in order to provide this role it will take a variety of ships and your limited based on how many ships you have providing you different roles.

Salvager is a very self explanatory job to perform. Unless you want to spend a shit load of money and always salvage with a crew of players the best thing to do here is wait for a smaller salvage ship than the Reclaimer. But that will depend on if you want to do salvage on the scale the Reclaimer can do. If you want the multi-crew large scale salvage then go with the Reclaimer. Otherwise wait for the smaller versions of salvage ships to release and get one of them being either small 1-2man or smaller multi-crew 3-4 man.

Smugglers will need different ships depending on what they are smuggling and where it's going. So everything from a ship no one can find to a ship that can carry a lot of cargo in plain sight without being found. Without a lot more info on smuggling there is no way of saying exactly what ships will do well in this role. Also weather you are smuggling against npc or players is another thing entirely to. The Phoenix is the only ship i know of that has a compartment specifically designed for smuggling stuff past scanners. But ships that are small in cargo but designed to not be found (or allow you to not be found by avoiding patrols) would be a good fit as well. Ships like the Terrapin, 315P work great at being able to find patrols before they find you and by avoiding being found you can smuggle cargo to a location.

Combat pilot is going to depend strictly on your preference. Out of the ships currently available unless you want to fill a role of interdiction or interception there is only 3 choices. The best part is thanks to the developers we know how they intend them to end up in ballance compared to each other. The Saber is the toughest of the ships in durability followed by the Hornet then the Buccaneer. In fire power the buccaneer has more weapons in total as well as the largest single weapon and comparable missiles to the hornet. The hornet has the unmanned turret allowing firepower to be projected in a larger radius around the ship and come stock with rockets for stationary targets. The Saber packs a lot of forward punch and better missiles than the buccaneer but less total weapons. So unless you want to fulfill a different role other than direct combat in a small fighter those are really your only 3 choices.

Exploration... My main focus and really best advice I can give is do what I did. Terrapin and carrack allow me to perform small scale and large scale exploration. I dont need any ships in between. But my intent is to find things for others to utilize. I do not intend to be the one salvaging ships or reclaiming them. I do not intend to be the one doing the science or other things involved in other things I will find. Unless it's a asteroid belt (that's what my prospector is for) or a jump point I will not be doing anything directly with it apart from appraising its value and getting paid while providing content for a lot of other Test members to do. If you intend to bring back relics and do a lot of solo exploration where you will utilize a cargo bay then you really do not need any ships besides Terrapin and either the Aquila or Carrack (since they are on a basic level the same thing on 2 different scales).

So based on that the list would look like this:
Terrapin (exploration, smuggling, Privateer)
Aquila or Carrack (exploration, Privateer)
Dragonfly (only one unless you plan to do the mini carrier with your cat) (Getting around as needed)
Caterpillar (Privateer, smuggling, salvage)
The Salvage ship you choose (small or large) (Salvage)
Freelancer or Cutlass (Privateer)
Combat ship (PVP, PVE, Combat role, privateer)

AccidentProne8

Space Marshal
Apr 12, 2015
RSI Handle
accidentproneeight
I'm going to tell you the only thing you need to do.

GET AND KEEP A RETALIATOR!

Blockade run?
TALI BRO
Cargo?
TALI BRO
Living quarters and passengers?
TALI BRO
Blowing ADI fools sky high?
TALI BRO
C̶o̶m̶m̶i̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶v̶i̶r̶t̶u̶a̶l̶ ̶g̶e̶n̶o̶c̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶s̶c̶a̶t̶t̶e̶r̶s̶h̶o̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶r̶p̶e̶d̶o̶e̶s̶?̶ ̶
H̶A̶I̶L̶ ̶M̶E̶S̶S̶E̶R̶!̶
Dropship raid?
TALI BRO
Suicide run into the sun?
TORPS AND SPACE C4 IN A TALI, BRO!

Reactions: Blind Owl

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
So you want to be those things in that order? lol or just be able to do all of them whenever you want?

Well right now going off new info from 2nd QnA on Terrapin then it's going to depend on what you want to do with exploration.

Judging by what you have said tho only 2 of your roles you want to do will not be driven by exploration. Privateer role being someone who can do anything needed. Be it crew someone else's ship or haul ore or even protect a convoy. So in order to provide this role it will take a variety of ships and your limited based on how many ships you have providing you different roles.

Salvager is a very self explanatory job to perform. Unless you want to spend a shit load of money and always salvage with a crew of players the best thing to do here is wait for a smaller salvage ship than the Reclaimer. But that will depend on if you want to do salvage on the scale the Reclaimer can do. If you want the multi-crew large scale salvage then go with the Reclaimer. Otherwise wait for the smaller versions of salvage ships to release and get one of them being either small 1-2man or smaller multi-crew 3-4 man.

Smugglers will need different ships depending on what they are smuggling and where it's going. So everything from a ship no one can find to a ship that can carry a lot of cargo in plain sight without being found. Without a lot more info on smuggling there is no way of saying exactly what ships will do well in this role. Also weather you are smuggling against npc or players is another thing entirely to. The Phoenix is the only ship i know of that has a compartment specifically designed for smuggling stuff past scanners. But ships that are small in cargo but designed to not be found (or allow you to not be found by avoiding patrols) would be a good fit as well. Ships like the Terrapin, 315P work great at being able to find patrols before they find you and by avoiding being found you can smuggle cargo to a location.

Combat pilot is going to depend strictly on your preference. Out of the ships currently available unless you want to fill a role of interdiction or interception there is only 3 choices. The best part is thanks to the developers we know how they intend them to end up in ballance compared to each other. The Saber is the toughest of the ships in durability followed by the Hornet then the Buccaneer. In fire power the buccaneer has more weapons in total as well as the largest single weapon and comparable missiles to the hornet. The hornet has the unmanned turret allowing firepower to be projected in a larger radius around the ship and come stock with rockets for stationary targets. The Saber packs a lot of forward punch and better missiles than the buccaneer but less total weapons. So unless you want to fulfill a different role other than direct combat in a small fighter those are really your only 3 choices.

Exploration... My main focus and really best advice I can give is do what I did. Terrapin and carrack allow me to perform small scale and large scale exploration. I dont need any ships in between. But my intent is to find things for others to utilize. I do not intend to be the one salvaging ships or reclaiming them. I do not intend to be the one doing the science or other things involved in other things I will find. Unless it's a asteroid belt (that's what my prospector is for) or a jump point I will not be doing anything directly with it apart from appraising its value and getting paid while providing content for a lot of other Test members to do. If you intend to bring back relics and do a lot of solo exploration where you will utilize a cargo bay then you really do not need any ships besides Terrapin and either the Aquila or Carrack (since they are on a basic level the same thing on 2 different scales).

Dragonfly (only one unless you plan to do the mini carrier with your cat) (Getting around as needed)
First thing to clarify is Privateer = pirate. The legal way. Like way back when the Brit's and the Spanish etc would hire "privateers" to raid the other party. Contracts from one party to raid loot the other. We (@Shadow Reaper, @DcTrojan72, @Jim "Black Bones" Bundy, @Soven Taliesyn etc) are looking to disable, board, and appropriate ships/cargo from other parties. So the Cat, the Cutty the Bucky, they're made for that sort of thing. The whole Drake thing.

The rest of what you say is definite food for thought. I was waffling between using the Terrapin and Carrack or Terrapin and Aquila. Either way, exploration is covered.
I do think I'll stick to the Carrack. If the DUR stays in my fleet, then awesome, if not, then so be it.

Fighters are hard. I'll probably end up with two. Actually, I will, for sure. I want that versatility to be able to choose, depending on what I'm doing. Bucky and something. Bucky and Warden maybe.

Smuggling can be done in any ship, as you said, and it will. I most certainly won't have a dedicated smuggler. It's a byproduct of wherever else I may be up to. For those times I wanna feel like Han Solo, haha.

As it stands, the Aquila is the redundant ship. She can become something else. Unfortunately, there not much she can become, as her price stands so high. I won't be unhappy with a harbinger though. 4 buks for the base warden: that's a versatile deep space fighter.

Thanks for your input @Adiran

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Another use for the Dragonfly is to hold one on your Carrick for quick planetary scouting before taking the Rover out to bring things back.

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?