Another Fleet Question

Vett

Space Marshal
Mar 31, 2016
RSI Handle
Vett
I can't help but throw money at this game so I've decided to expand my fleet. Need help deciding if adding the Andromeda would be too much over lap. My current fleet is 2x Dragonfly, 315p, Delta, Buccaneer, Terrapin, and Carrack. My main focus will be exploration. Was thinking of getting the Andromeda as a potential hauler/smuggler but thing the carrack might be able to handle that role as well. Thanks for the input.

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
I can't help but throw money at this game so I've decided to expand my fleet. Need help deciding if adding the Andromeda would be too much over lap. My current fleet is 2x Dragonfly, 315p, Delta, Buccaneer, Terrapin, and Carrack. My main focus will be exploration. Was thinking of getting the Andromeda as a potential hauler/smuggler but thing the carrack might be able to handle that role as well. Thanks for the input.
Go for a freelancer or the Connie. I got freelancer dur for exploration but I figure I can use it as a hauler without having to worry to much about crew or overall expenses. The connie could hull more but you may need some crew to help man it properly and more money to fill up the hill all the way....

So obviously the only option here is to pick up the mega exploration package ;)

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I have a few options for smuggling as I intend to adapt to the situation and cargo. The one that I think holds the biggest promise is my Freelancer MAX. It has about the same cargo capacity of the Andromeda, same size (4-TR5 mains) engines, but at almost 1/3 the mass (30k vs 80k). So it should be much, much faster than the connie. The only thing it doesn't have is the T6 shields.

I am hoping they stick to the overclocking concept they had earlier in the game development as well. I like the idea of a "sleeper" ship. If you put enough money and effort into it, you should be able to get your ship to outperform the others of it's brand. Like a special TR5 engine that performs like a TR6. It sounded like they were headed in this direction from their statements earlier on.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
The connie seems like a good general purpose ship of a certain size and unlike the Van it is not ugly. The cargo capacity of the Carrack is much larger with a similar crew capacity but it is probable some of this will be used for modules like repair bay etc, it is hard to know how much will be free to use all the time. There may also be a cost to swap out modules when the caterpillar ever arrives with its modules we might know more.

So basically I would suggest that because you are not after a difficult to get ship you are not time tied and can afford to wait until we know more about how some of this will work. Alternatively buy it now and you can always melt it for something else later.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
The Carrack will be 100% multiplayer; the Aquila will be operational even as SP. So if you can afford it, I would catch an Aquila. In the case it is too expensive, the DUR is a good option.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Vett

Space Marshal
Mar 31, 2016
RSI Handle
Vett
Thanks for the quick responses. I love the idea of the Starfarer as I think ability to "harvest" your own fuel will be nice. Sadly the Starfarer is unavailable currently. I also like the idea of potentially overclocking a Connie.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Well if I am honest with you you've got a pretty big overlap really. You only need one small explorer and one large explorer, so for me that would be the Terrapin and the Carrack. The 315/Delta/ConnyA is big time overlapping. A freelancer Dur instead of those three would be cool because you could still do fighting missions and small cargo missions (50 odd units) if you wanted, and larger cargo missions covered with the Carrack (1000 odd units).

Up to you! But even though I am on the Hype Train (chooo choo) I have stopped myself from biying overlaps on purpose. Ideally you want 1 x small combat 1 x large combat, 1 x small cargo 1 large cargo, 1 x small explorer 1 x large explorer, 1 x small pirateyoutlaw and 1 large.

Vett

Space Marshal
Mar 31, 2016
RSI Handle
Vett
Well if I am honest with you you've got a pretty big overlap really. You only need one small explorer and one large explorer, so for me that would be the Terrapin and the Carrack. The 315/Delta/ConnyA is big time overlapping. A freelancer Dur instead of those three would be cool because you could still do fighting missions and small cargo missions (50 odd units) if you wanted, and larger cargo missions covered with the Carrack (1000 odd units).

Up to you! But even though I am on the Hype Train (chooo choo) I have stopped myself from biying overlaps on purpose. Ideally you want 1 x small combat 1 x large combat, 1 x small cargo 1 large cargo, 1 x small explorer 1 x large explorer, 1 x small pirateyoutlaw and 1 large.
Thanks for the honest info. I agree with you with you on my overlap and I like the break down you did for the roles between large and small. I will have to look at different options for hauling and outlaw. I like the style and feel of the Andromeda so I may use that as my large outlaw ship.

Forgot your password?