Another Fun Formation Aerobatics Sortie IRL

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
My formation buddies and I continue to work on upping our game and yesterday it was working on a maneuver called the Quarter-Clover which is a loop that has a 90 degree direction change in it from rolling during the loop itself.

We start with a tip in which is a diving turn to clear the area and build up energy, followed by a 4G pull at about 220 mph - once the nose comes up about 60 degrees you start the roll and aim to be done with the roll as you hit the top of the loop inverted, then pull through like a normal loop with a 4G recovery - done right you end up going South if you entered heading East for example.

This is really so much fun I almost need a shower I feel so dirty when I get done....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rkRxM-tdGo

'Gimp

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
Looks like really incredible stuff man! You're skilled to say the least. How long have you been flying for? Or how many hours?
Thanks!

It is really fun, more fun than a human being should be allowed to have but I've worked hard to both develop the skills and to be able to afford to do it - no better time than the present.

I have about 530-ish hours as Pilot In Command, roughly 80 of that is in the Yak now (I bought it in Feb of '15), and about 40-ish hours of dedicated aerobatic time including 11 hrs of aerobatic instruction in an Extra 300L. I have logged time in 43 different make/model aircraft including lots of experimentals which I think has helped me to develop a good touch.

I took my first flying lesson as a sophomore in High School in 1986, and currently hold a Commercial Pilots License - Airplane Single Engine Land, with Instrument Privileges, as well as High Performance, Complex and Tailwheel endorsements. I am a member of the International Aerobatic Club, Red Star Pilots Association and I hold a FAST Formation Wingman Card.

'Gimp

Last edited:

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
Man, I get woozy just from doing dutch rolls...

currently hold a Commercial Pilots License - Airplane Single Engine Land, with Instrument Privileges, as well as High Performance, Complex and Tailwheel endorsements. I am a member of the International Aerobatic Club, Red Star Pilots Association and I hold a FAST Formation Wingman Card.
Didn't realize we had a RedStar pilot here! I know who I'm picking for my flight lead!

Reactions: AstroGimp01

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
These are always awesome videos. At some point I'd love to at least ride along on a flight like this... it's not likely that I'll ever have have the chance to fly a plane like that myself, lol.

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
it's not likely that I'll ever have have the chance to fly a plane like that myself, lol.
You'd be surprised - I found that aviation is a pretty small fellowship, and there's lots of opportunities to do things that you might not previously have considered 'likely'. I'm just a lowly sport pilot (will be working towards my PPL this summer, hopefully) with maybe a tenth the time AstroGimp01 has, but getting my license is just about the single best thing I have ever done in my life. If you have an interest in flying, you really owe it to yourself to pursue becoming a pilot. Pulling back on the stick and watching the earth fall away from you never ever gets old.

Jhonon1

Space Marshal
Mar 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Jhon-On
I have logged time in 43 different make/model aircraft including lots of experimentals which I think has helped me to develop a good touch.
Damn! That is a lot of planes!

Weather is clearing up and overtime is back, so time for me to start getting some hours. What setup do you use to record your flights?
Wouldn't do me any good yet but I was considering recording stuff

You'd be surprised - I found that aviation is a pretty small fellowship, and there's lots of opportunities to do things that you might not previously have considered 'likely'. I'm just a lowly sport pilot (will be working towards my PPL this summer, hopefully) with maybe a tenth the time AstroGimp01 has, but getting my license is just about the single best thing I have ever done in my life. If you have an interest in flying, you really owe it to yourself to pursue becoming a pilot. Pulling back on the stick and watching the earth fall away from you never ever gets old.
Seriously, most airports will give you an introductory lesson for about $100 (at least, all the ones in my neck of the woods).
It's well worth it
Maybe you and your family get bit and start down a moderately long, insanely fun, ridiculously expensive road... maybe not.
But at least you'll have tried it!

On unlikely things, one day I hope to take myself (and a buddy I guess) out in a bushplane and just land hours (by any other method) away from any human, let alone civilization. Just get so far from everything it's like it never existed. Enjoy real Actual nature

Tying into both of you, and something that normal people wouldn't know exists but I WILL do, Imma build me a plane.
One guess on the color scheme and decals ;)

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
Damn! That is a lot of planes!

Weather is clearing up and overtime is back, so time for me to start getting some hours. What setup do you use to record your flights?
Wouldn't do me any good yet but I was considering recording stuff

Seriously, most airports will give you an introductory lesson for about $100 (at least, all the ones in my neck of the woods).
It's well worth it
Maybe you and your family get bit and start down a moderately long, insanely fun, ridiculously expensive road... maybe not.
But at least you'll have tried it!

On unlikely things, one day I hope to take myself (and a buddy I guess) out in a bushplane and just land hours (by any other method) away from any human, let alone civilization. Just get so far from everything it's like it never existed. Enjoy real Actual nature

Tying into both of you, and something that normal people wouldn't know exists but I WILL do, Imma build me a plane.
One guess on the color scheme and decals ;)
I use a couple GoPro Hero3's, several different mounting locations. Have found that being able to go back and examine the formation station keeping or accuracy of precision aerobatic maneuvers is really helpful to aim for continuous improvement.

I've been really fortunate to fly so many different make/models - mostly from being in Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) and not being afraid to ask for a flight and offer to pay gas or lunch as well as seeking out specific flight experiences and training.

What kind of plane do you want to build?

'Gimp

Reactions: Designated Drunk

Jhonon1

Space Marshal
Mar 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Jhon-On
I have been particularly eyeing up the Panther from http://flywithspa.com/, it is a sporty one that is sufficiently cheap and easy to build that it makes a good young pilot plane/first build option. Expense is unfortunately a very limiting factor (at least on this first one...), in the future I am eyeing up something in the vein of the SuperSTOL with the 200HP ULPower engine for go-anywhere-ness.
Regardless of hull i'm looking to power it with a Corvair, I've already got the manual and 3 core engine's i'm in the process of ripping apart.

Which Experimentals have you found particularly enjoyable/recommendable?

I just love the idea of being in control of not only the plane, but exactly how the whole thing came together.
It helps that I'm a mechanically DIY oriented guy at heart and machinist by trade (sorry, no wood).

I'm gonna get flying soon so i can start making myself all those opportunities

Designated Drunk

Space Marshal
Feb 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Designated_Drunk
I have been particularly eyeing up the Panther from http://flywithspa.com/, it is a sporty one that is sufficiently cheap and easy to build that it makes a good young pilot plane/first build option.
Oooh... Aerobatic LSA with folding wings? I think I've seen those before in Kitplanes, but didn't take a look at the specs. Total kit cost doesn't seem bad. The Corvair engine route is appealing in theory, but I've heard too many stories of such conversions taking years to get dialed in - I think I'd go the Continental/Lycoming route myself. I will say that taking the SportAir workshop was worth every single penny when it came to learning sheetmetal construction (amateur machinist here as well, but never did any riveting before the class).

Really curious to hear what 'Gimp likes for experimentals... Wittman Tailwind? Velocity XL? Bearhawk? RV-8? Ah, getting all excited for Airventure now...

Jhonon1

Space Marshal
Mar 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Jhon-On
The Corvair is the best I have seen because William Wynne of www.flycorvair.net has already spent the time to dial it in. 20+ years of dedication to the engine, an Embry-Riddle A&P, hundreds of flying examples, a regularly updated blog, all of the specialty parts which are constantly being improved (most recently on the supply chain side, everything is supposed to move much faster but I'll never know what it was like before ;)) all of which lead me to have thrown in with him.
Your personal build time will vary (duh) but it isn't as uncertain a saying "I'm going to take that lovely looking Subaru EE-20 and put it in a plane" (which was one of my initial thoughts). Things like that have about 3 forums posts related to them and no actually usable information.

I was considering Airventure this year, but I don't know if I've got the time...
Might actually do that workshop instead, get to know OshKosh a bit without the crowd and only spend a long weekend away.

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
Cool on the Panther, I think Dan Weseman has a real winner there and they are damn good looking. Since the Yak scratches the Warbird, Formation and Aerobatic itches, I'd still like a good solid 3+seat cross country bird and a backwoods/floatable to round out the stable, one thing at a time though. For travel a Commander 114TC, Bellanca Super Viking or a turbo-normalized Bonanza would be a good candidate. For bush/backwood I really like the RANS S-7 although I have time in a couple different Citabria's (7GCBC and 7KCAB) and really like them too.

As far as experimentals go, I have time in the Long-EZ (118 and 160 hp versions), Glasair I-TD, Glasair I-FT, Glasair I-RG, Lancair Legacy Turbo, Merlin GT, Glasair Sportsman 2+2, Thorp T-18, VAN's RV-6A and RV-8, Velocity RG, Epic LT Turboprop and the Cozy III. I have liked them all, really depends on the specific mission insofar as which is best - although the RV series are hard to beat.

'Gimp

Last edited:
Forgot your password?