Arena Commander: Landing on the "space platform"

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
So I've played a bit (~30 mins) with Arena Commander yesterday, with Mouse + Keyboard, tried a few different modes that I figured out, learned some that I didn't try yet today, so I'll see how it is later when I get home. I did manage to get to Wave 6 of Vanduul Swarm though.

I only tried it once... the rest, I was in Free Flight, trying to figure out the controls, etc.

I don't have an Aurora variant so that wasn't available to me, but I do have a 350R and F7C-S so the 300i and Hornet were given to me.

When I try to land on the floating platform, Hornet's skids deploys a bit before "touchdown" and then it goes crazy. It comes out, goes back in, out, in, out, in, etc in VERY rapid succession, and sometimes even pushes the ship back away in an awkward angle.

I also tried with the 300i later, and it's the same thing. BUT, I managed to "force land" it and it stayed deployed. Got out of my seat (which refuses to turn, but the pilot still has that animation) and opened the hatch/ladder, walked around a bit, and got back to my seat... but the hatch stayed open! (along with the ladder) Flying around with an open hatch and ladder sticking out (while the wheels retracted) was... strange to say the least...

hexig

Lieutenant
Mar 22, 2014
RSI Handle
hexig
Think this is definitely a widespread bug. I haven't been able to successfully land anything either...

yostinso

Admiral
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
Aristide
Had a similar experience, but with the ships swapped. I managed to land the Hornet by spamming the F key once the landing gear started dancing around (although when I got out, only the two rear feet were touching, and the ship was otherwise pointing up in the air at a pretty steep angle). I spent maybe 30 minutes trying to do the same with the 300i, but never managed to get it to stick.

Can you get the gear to deploy elsewhere? (Like, can you land on asteroids?)

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
Had a similar experience, but with the ships swapped. I managed to land the Hornet by spamming the F key once the landing gear started dancing around (although when I got out, only the two rear feet were touching, and the ship was otherwise pointing up in the air at a pretty steep angle). I spent maybe 30 minutes trying to do the same with the 300i, but never managed to get it to stick.

I don't think so... I did see a video of this guy who tried to do it with his 300i, and knocked his engine right off LOL

ericman2001

Space Marshal
May 11, 2014
RSI Handle
Phlox_Lennelluc
I've tried to land a few times in my Hornet too and got the spazzing landing gear as well.
I don't think so... I did see a video of this guy who tried to do it with his 300i, and knocked his engine right off LOL
I've lost a wing during landing maneuvers. I wasn't approaching so fast that I should have had more than a scratch though. Stupid landing pads...

Prosciuto

Space Marshal
Jun 13, 2014
RSI Handle
Prosciuto

I tried landing on asteroid once but even though the landing gear kinda got out i was unable to put it down aaand broke the ship :D

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
Realistically, landing is for suckers.
Real TEST pilots crash.
not on purpose... we TRY to land... or do anything else for that matter, but we always end up crashing regardless... not exactly "intentional" (some more skilled pilots may be intentional, pretending to be not, but intentionally crashing into your target is hard!)

so in reality, the safest place to be against a TEST pilot is to stay right where they are aiming at... you will never be hit when they try to hit you... it's most dangerous when you're out of their way, and they try to "avoid" you... that they may "accidentally" crash into you.

Prosciuto

Space Marshal
Jun 13, 2014
RSI Handle
Prosciuto
tried this back when i had the aurora and lost both cannons but hitting those cake cutters is harder than it looks D:

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
I don't understand why they haven't just assigned a button to deploy landing gear. Why they would make it automatic is beyond me, it has too much potential for error.

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
I know! even something super obscure like Ctrl+Alt+Tab+F8+G would work, as we don't need to do it on the "fly"

we also need a command to close all doors/hatches (or to do so automatically after we lift off >.>)

it's just awkward flying a 300i with the door open and ladder sticking out

Reactions: Prosciuto

Daproximus

Lieutenant
Jun 15, 2014
RSI Handle
Daproximus
i did land on the platform with my 300i not realy hard imo. fly above it and change the trusters so they dont roll but go up and down. just keep straight and slowly trust the ship down. i had a smooth landing and with f u can get out of the ship and walk around on the platform. i even filmed it with shadowplay. only thing is. when u get back in the ship and fly away the doors of my 300! were stil open :) and the stairs down.

Forgot your password?