Asteroid hangars

Kilo-Delta

Vice Admiral
Feb 17, 2016
RSI Handle
KiloDelta
So I'm unsure how asteroid hangars will work in the PU. When the PU releases, will people with asteroid hangars be able to choose exactly where their asteroid is? Will we only have a few locations that are densely populated with asteroid hangars? I think I heard something about there being large asteroids that are home to many hangars, is this true? I'm assuming we will be able to directly approach and land in our hangar without interruption/transition, unlike possibly hangars located on planets (still unsure how planetary landing will work). Also, if there will be densely populated asteroid belts, it would be nice to be able to choose where exactly to place your hangar to that you can be close to friends. I've heard a lot of talk about where the TEST Squardon HQ/home will be, and a lot of people seem to like Nyx. I think it would be fantastic if we could have a big collection of asteroid hangars together near Delamar :)

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
I haven't gotten into the Universe yet... because it isn't done. I assume it's going to be like Skyrim, and I'm going to have a house in every single town/village/castle, and I won't use any of them. :D

Reactions: Blind Owl

Snakey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jul 15, 2015
RSI Handle
SNKYGMG
So I'm unsure how asteroid hangars will work in the PU. When the PU releases, will people with asteroid hangars be able to choose exactly where their asteroid is? Will we only have a few locations that are densely populated with asteroid hangars? I think I heard something about there being large asteroids that are home to many hangars, is this true? I'm assuming we will be able to directly approach and land in our hangar without interruption/transition, unlike possibly hangars located on planets (still unsure how planetary landing will work). Also, if there will be densely populated asteroid belts, it would be nice to be able to choose where exactly to place your hangar to that you can be close to friends. I've heard a lot of talk about where the TEST Squardon HQ/home will be, and a lot of people seem to like Nyx. I think it would be fantastic if we could have a big collection of asteroid hangars together near Delamar :)
you will find little green men with flying saucers. make that a feature now or I BLOODY WALK!!!!

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Assuming you can find ice asteroids floating around, you can totally have an Arctic hangar.

Easy overclocking your mobiglass for playing Arena Commander!
FREE BEER COOLING.
Losing limbs to frostbite- so immersive!

These are only 3 of possibly several other ways that this could be beneficial!

Kilo-Delta

Vice Admiral
Feb 17, 2016
RSI Handle
KiloDelta
Assuming you can find ice asteroids floating around, you can totally have an Arctic hangar.

Easy overclocking your mobiglass for playing Arena Commander!
FREE BEER COOLING.
Losing limbs to frostbite- so immersive!

These are only 3 of possibly several other ways that this could be beneficial!
You know, there is an ice planet in the Nyx system... TEST takes Hoth aka Giant Beer Cooler?

aLumberingOx

Commander
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
LumberingOx
Not just a giant beer cooler, but flowing rivers of rum (since it wont freeze entirely) and whiskey on the rocks.... or do i mean on the Rocky Mountains, free flowing from natural gain wells, pressure cooked by the core of the planet. It would be like frozen resort like Risa, just no one will remember due to constantly blacked out drunk.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Asteroid hangars will be randomly distributed throughout asteroid belts and fields in the galaxy. It's up to you to find them. Hope you invested in a Carrack!

Unshaven

Commander
May 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Unshaven

I remember reading that awhile ago and yes, you can pick where your hanger(s) are going to be.

I did find these posts on the topic:
REF: I think is from around Oct, 2013. https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/70067/

Question 3 - MK
If I’ve purchased more than one package, each including a hangar (Business and Deluxe), and also purchase an Asteroid hangar, will that translate into at least two hangars when the Persistent Universe comes out?
Answer 3 - Chris Roberts
Hmm, that's kind of a good question.
We were sort of thinking that you would have one home base hangar and then if you wanted to have "forward bases" or whatever, you would rent hangar space on a planet.
So I don't know, because currently the design would say no to that, although there could be an argument to say "well I'm got multiple packages so each one should have a hangar and therefore I should be able to place them in different places," but really the concept of the hangar was, we were just giving you a free place to have all your stuff, it wasn't that you would be buying multiple houses around the universe.

So I would say, I don't know whether the two hangars... I mean it's a difficult question to ask on the asteroid hangar because that's a very distinct thing, and it's more in a different location than say a business or a deluxe hangar.

So I guess my question would be, not my question, my answer would be:
We haven't made the decision on that yet, but that is a good point.
So I take that off and be thinking about how to make that equitable without having someone buying 20 packages and snapping up a bunch of real-estate that they can put all around the universe. Because that would sort of defeat part of the purpose of getting people to play because actually being able to get a hangar and all the rest of the stuff should take some work to achieve and I don't want everyone to suddenly be 100% fully set up.

So it's a good question, I will think about that, but I don't have a good answer for you right now. But you brought it up, so that's already a victory.

Then this one from Ben Lesnick:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/3386864/#Comment_3386864

CIG Ben Lesnick wcloaf
Posted: September 2014

Hey guys,

To clarify: the current thinking (and it's subject to change until it happens!) is that you can get a starting Hangar for each game package you've purchased, even on the same account. So if you have five game packages, you'll be able to have five different characters with five different hangars. And then you'll be given the option to distribute these how you want. If you'd prefer everything go with one character in one Hangar, you'll have that choice (and various options in-between.)

We do not currently have plans to sell 'just' Hangars through the pledge store. If you have one package and want a second Hangar, you'll have to rent/buy it in the finished game using in-game credits.

And just a plea in general: please, please don't contact CS for information about game design. They're there to help with people having issues with the game, site, their accounts, etc. But they're not a way to get extra information about the game that hasn't been released elsewhere.

RSI Hanger location is selectable (last QA, From current RSI FAQ):

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/faq/hangar-module

I'm hoping they figure out a way to pump up the asteroid hangers to make them YUGE. Big enough to put any ship inside. What the heck right? Procedurally generated asteroid hangers should be doable.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?