Audio/Video guys, need your suggestions

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
My current set up is a webcam and blue yeti mic.

If I want to make video away from my desk, what camera do I need?

Im thinking a lapel mic is needed, but how does that feed audio into the camera, do I go wireless or do I record audio onto a dedicated audio device and then sync it with the video?

Crake

Admiral
Apr 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Crakez
How far away from your desk are you talking, like outside? A good shotgun mic you can just point in your direction and get good audio from afar or nearby.

https://www.amazon.com/Rode-NTG2-Condenser-Shotgun-Microphone/dp/B00093ESSI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466054686&sr=8-1&keywords=rode+ntg2

As far as camera, if you are looking to stream live with a non-webcam you need something to capture the video such as:

https://www.amazon.com/Blackmagic-Design-Intensity-Capture-Playback/dp/B00U3QNP7Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466054743&sr=8-1&keywords=black+magic+intensity+pro

Not very good with the camera portion of things, but here's what one a streamer I follow uses along with that capture card (would not recommend for non-streaming though, DSLR is better):

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-VIXIA-Camcorder-Internal-Memory/dp/B00AWZFHG0?ie=UTF8&keywords=Canon Vixia HFG20&qid=1400259273&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Most pro youtube personality types use high quality DSLR cameras and a shotgun mic. Again, my camera knowledge is almost non-existent.

Last edited:

Capt_Baldi

Grand Admiral
May 13, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt_Baldi
Depending on your budget there's alot of options out there if you're thinking of VLOG type of content.

If you're thinking of going the DSLR route, you should take a look at the Canon 550d or the 600d. They're really cheap and they're really really good!
Don't even consider buying the 650d or even the 700d, because really nothing significant has changed since the 550d or the 600d.

It's Canons low budget series and with an APS-C sensor.

If you're thinking of doing alot of portrait video shots of you talking etc, you should get the Canon 50mm 1.8 lens. It's often refered as the plastic fantastic or the niftyfifty.
It's a REALLY powerful combination if you're looking for value for your money.

To top things off, consider buying a RØDE (RODE) Videomic Pro for the setup.
You can plug it directly into your camera and you're good to go!

Canon 550d/600d
Canon 50mm 1.8
RODE Videomic Pro

Cheap and really powerful for a run'n'gun setup.

#Edit: AND if you install Magic Lantern on your Canon camera you just have a BEAST of a setup to start out with. :) Just saying. :)

/TheUnknownDane

Metal-Muffin

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Metal-Muffin
Depending on your budget there's alot of options out there if you're thinking of VLOG type of content.

To top things off, consider buying a RØDE (RODE) Videomic Pro for the setup.
You can plug it directly into your camera and you're good to go!

Canon 550d/600d
Canon 50mm 1.8
RODE Videomic Pro

/TheUnknownDane
Good info! I just visited the RØDE site and figured that this would be worth pointing out:

"RØDE Microphones does not authorize Fulfilled By Amazon. We have purchased counterfeit RØDE products using Fulfilled by Amazon and highly recommend that you only purchase RØDE products from authorised dealers."

I have a cannon EoS that I love, but had never heard of Magic Lantern befor. I'm going to try it out this weekend.

Reactions: Capt_Baldi

Capt_Baldi

Grand Admiral
May 13, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt_Baldi
Good info! I just visited the RØDE site and figured that this would be worth pointing out:

"RØDE Microphones does not authorize Fulfilled By Amazon. We have purchased counterfeit RØDE products using Fulfilled by Amazon and highly recommend that you only purchase RØDE products from authorised dealers."

I have a cannon EoS that I love, but had never heard of Magic Lantern befor. I'm going to try it out this weekend.
Oh you're in for a treat with the Magic Lantern firmware! It's AWESOME!
Which EOS model do you have?

bryceedmundo

Space Marshal
Dec 20, 2014
RSI Handle
bryceedmundo
Don't know about audio but i've been a stills photographer for a while.
I shoot on Nikon, which do stills better IMO, if you go the SLR route buy Cannon for video.
I'm pretty sure that TV show House is/was shot on a Cannon SLR, so you can get great image quality, I cannot stress enough though, the need for a good lens. Get a prime lens, and sacrifice money on the camera body to get some quality glass if you have to. Ultimately it depends on how much you want to spend. If you want to go HAM, look at Blackmagic Design, their camera bodies are about $3000AUD though, but they're legit. If you want to go totally HAM, get an ARRI Alexa, and hire that bad boy out when you aren't filming blockbuster style SOTS's. You'll make your money back pretty quick, but it would require you having 30ish grand lying around. + like and extra 80K in glass XD

Whatever body you get. i'd suggest a Carl Zeiss prime on the end,.

Reactions: Thalstan

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I guess I should clarified with a budget..

Im talking entry level.. below entry level... maybe something I can find in a dumpster even.

So no fancy Canon DSLR's and $5000 mic booms.

Whats the most economical way to record 1080p and get good audio?

Reactions: Capt_Baldi

Capt_Baldi

Grand Admiral
May 13, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt_Baldi
I'd still say get a 550d, 50mm 1.8 lens and a Rode Videomic Pro.
If you want great video AND audio quality, you should't go for less.

You should be able to find all of those things cheap online.
It's a rather cheap solution considering the quality of the content you would be able to produce. :)

I would throw you a bunch of links if I could, but I'm located in Denmark and I have no idea what kind of "buy used" websites you have available in the US. :)

#Edit: The camera should cost you around 350-400$. The lens should be around 75-80$ and the microphone around 170-180$.
And maybe you can get it even cheaper, but that's the 2nd hand prices here in Denmark right now.
A total of say 600-700$ for all of the equipment and you're good to go.

Reactions: PSIcoh and chrizz

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Montoya,

It all depends on how much money you want to invest, what kind of support personnel you have (just you, or you plus others), and what kind of quality you want out of the final product. I've seen good quality videos out of some phones, but if you are looking for image stabilization, HD or 4k video (or higher), etc you are going to have to spend some money.

Some people here have already suggested some good ideas. The Cannon and Nikon digital SLR cameras for instance are great from what I have heard. (The Nikon can do up to 60 fps, the Cannon 30 in 1080p) Otherwise, a nice VHS or digital video camera, GoPro, etc would do well.

Shotgun microphones are nice as are lapel mikes. If you are looking to do multiple microphones, a good mixer will also be needed unless you are doing multi track recordings and will mix later.

So, depending on what you want to spend, you can go with your phone for minimal expenditure, 100 bucks or so for a cheap digital video camera, to $2,000+ (maybe even $5,000+) for some DLSRs (oh, and you will need some lenses as well...figure 40-1,000 or more depending on the type and quality (bigger the lens...not just the zoom level...increases the costs)

With the budget numbers you gave above, If you have an iphone 6s, it gives 4k support already. Others are HD unless you have a much older one. There are some acceptable lenses in the $20-$40 range if you are wanting cheap. A lapel mike for $20, a shotgun mike for $40, and an image stabilizer/holder from $40-$150. I am sure there are similar things for android depending on the model of your phone. Heck, you can even get a microscope lens for 10-40 bucks if you are looking to add even more capability.

All this said, good cameras cost money, good lenses more, and if you are looking to do this in any kind of professional manner (aka, making money off it), the better the quality of stuff you purchase (lenses being even more important than the quality of the camera) the better the final product. Also remember, you get what you pay for. Going cheap now means throwing most of that money away later when you replace it.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya

MONEYSHOT

Grand Admiral
May 31, 2016
RSI Handle
MONEYSHOT
i upgraded so I have an old gopro hero I'd be happy to send out. it will do 1080 at 30fps or 720 at 60 fps. you would just need to get a fast sd card.

Forgot your password?