Babylon 5 reboot in the works

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
A Babylon 5 reboot has been announced with J. Michael Straczynski leading the project

https://gizmodo.com/babylon-5-is-getting-rebooted-with-j-michael-straczyn-1847752907

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I think television audiences are more likely to accept a show with a wide arc these days compared to when the original B5 aired. I think the overarching story arc and lack of ability for people to catch up was one of the reasons it didn't work as well as compared to more stand alone episodes of shows like ST:TNG, Stargate, etc. I think streaming will really help make this a non-issue.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The series was for me only marred by the extremely low budget and production values, especially including the terrible soundtrack. Likewise some of the dialog was terrible, but some of the intrigue was inspired. A better writing budget would have made this one of the best series of all time. Fix those things and I'm all in.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I would say its list of awards would disagree with you.

A Babylon 5 reboot has been announced with J. Michael Straczynski leading the project

https://gizmodo.com/babylon-5-is-getting-rebooted-with-j-michael-straczyn-1847752907

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I think television audiences are more likely to accept a show with a wide arc these days compared to when the original B5 aired. I think the overarching story arc and lack of ability for people to catch up was one of the reasons it didn't work as well as compared to more stand alone episodes of shows like ST:TNG, Stargate, etc. I think streaming will really help make this a non-issue.

I wonder who is going to pick up the streaming rights or if Warner Bros. is going to try and use it to enter into the fray of online streaming. Or if they go for a HBO audience.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
This looks interesting.
I'ma gonna be waiting to see if it really happens, if the writer is going for the same "too cerebral" style as before, they might slash it before it get's farther than a basic script.

I got the feeling that while streaming would be great for the overarching plot and retaining viewership, the trend is still on doing more and more action in sci-fi (just see how they massacred what used to be Star Trek), and with the nature of streaming shows (every episode has to end on a cliffhanger like some 90s anime/soap), it's gonna be way different in style and tone to the original.

In a best case scenario I'm expecting a copy-paste of The Expanse in how the show will be structured, as it was the only recent and kinda successful serious sci-fi I can recall. With the darker tone, similar half-realistic style for physics and ship design and such, it's not a bad match.

But whatever happens, at least it will look great with todays CGI!

Forgot your password?