best game controllers? (gamepad)

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Hey all,

I am looking at getting a game controller, but I am not sure which one to get.

I've been an M&K person all these years, and then Joystick/HOTAS when M&K is not viable. That said, I would like get a decent controller for times one is needed.

I have larger hands, so a bigger controller is nice

One that works seamlessly with PC is a must (example, Steelseries has a rep for not working well without their own stuff installed.
interchangeable controls would be very nice
a gyro is a nice to have
quality is important, as is durability

Possibilities...
Xbox elite series 2
Thrustmaster eswap X pro
Victrix pro BFG
Sony DualSense
Others?

Last edited:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
What is your intended use?
I like this https://store.azeron.eu/azeron-keypads#keypad=cyborg paired with my Logitech mouse for most situations I'd use a controller with my PC.

I haven't had any issues with a steelseries controller with a PC (other than I don't like the lack of buttons on a controller) but I don't use bluetooth with my PC, the USB dongle does fine.

• Love
Reactions: Mudhawk

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
What is your intended use?
I like this https://store.azeron.eu/azeron-keypads#keypad=cyborg paired with my Logitech mouse for most situations I'd use a controller with my PC.

I haven't had any issues with a steelseries controller with a PC (other than I don't like the lack of buttons on a controller) but I don't use bluetooth with my PC, the USB dongle does fine.
Biggest possibility is Starfield...especially if they don't support HOTAS. SC for another on a bot box so it's easier to move them around.
Witcher III maybe...

Don't know of others at the moment

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Starfield and SC, most RPG and MMO the Azeron or maybe the Razor keypad are my suggestions then. The precision of mouse and keyboard with the ease of a controller without sacrificing the buttons you need.

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
:love:
Gotta get me one of the Azerons soon as my beautiful but tragically overused Logitech G13 is no longer getting produced and will never see an updated Version either.

But back to Talstan's question.
For Controllers I like the Microsoft Wireless Gamepad on PC. Works out of the Box on Windows PC and haptics, durability and bang per buck are great.
If money wasn't a topic I'd even go for the aforementioned Elite version 2 with all the changeable tidbits and whatnot.
The Sony controller is great for PS5 but with a certain lackluster support for all it's options it doesn't really shine on PC. And even then you have to go the cable-bound route because it doesn't work with bluetooth. Or I am too stupid to configure that correctly. Always a possibility...
And since it hasn#t been mentioned before (maybe because of the pricetag) there's this Razer Wolferine V2 Pro. No vibration, no adaptive triggers, no nothing except pure ESport functionality and a couple of extra buttons. So no lag either even though it's wireless. But that's not too much to ask for around 300$. Is it? :-)

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
This remind me I've an xbox elite controller that i been meaning to get out the attic for a long time!!! Must do it.

• Glorious
Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
+1 for the latest basic ass ms Xbox controller for pc. Its cheapish, quality is alright, should work fine in most titles, and is plug and play. No software to bother with, all pc games should recognize and use it just fine, unlike third party controllers.
It has no issues with durability, If mine could survive 54 runs at ornstein and smough, yours should too. Unlike the brick wall next to the TV, I got some holes to fill in...

Forgot your password?