Board game blog (shameless self promotion)

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
Okay I lied, maybe I'm a little ashamed...

I've never been able to get my Fiancé (side note EEEEEE!!! still not gotten over that <3) into computer games, though she has promised to try flying my avenger one day. But what I did get her into is board games and she has become a massive board game geek, by far outshining me in that regard.

A few weeks back she decided that we should be reviewing the games we play and so we started a blog called The game shelf. The novel thing we are providing is a couple that reviews the same game each week, so you get 2 different viewpoints, also you can despair with me at the sight of our ever-growing collection (I need to block ebay...)

If people could give the blog a look and/or follow us on twitter then I know it would make my Fiancé's day! Oh and feel free to give any suggestions here, it's early days and I know we have a lot to improve if we are going to keep this going.

Scarthian

The Shadow Broker
Feb 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Scarthian
Grats on the fiance are in order so grats on that. Second ya broke my heart cause I thought there was going to be some awesome online board game nights or something which I would be all over as they are my secret pleasure. Third totally following on twitter and will check out the blog hopefully to find some good choices of which to trick my gf into trying out some board games.

Reactions: Lienna

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
Second ya broke my heart cause I thought there was going to be some awesome online board game nights or something which I would be all over as they are my secret pleasure. Third totally following on twitter and will check out the blog hopefully to find some good choices of which to trick my gf into trying out some board games.
I think Arrangingstars has done some Test squadron game nights, I've certainly seen her streaming them a couple of times. From what I saw though the program looked pretty clumsy, I know it would make my fiance rage. I really would like a decent way to play board games online, but trying to do it by webcam makes it hard to do any game that involves secrecy, suppose you could do some co-ops that way?

I can totally recommend some games to trick non-gamers into playing, that's essentially what I did to my fiancé. Ticket to ride and catan both strike me as good starting places, there's a lot of player interaction, the rules aren't too complicated and your goals are usually pretty apparent so you don't have to think in convoluted ways. Maybe I should make a blog post about it...

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I think Arrangingstars has done some Test squadron game nights, I've certainly seen her streaming them a couple of times. From what I saw though the program looked pretty clumsy, I know it would make my fiance rage. I really would like a decent way to play board games online, but trying to do it by webcam makes it hard to do any game that involves secrecy, suppose you could do some co-ops that way?

I can totally recommend some games to trick non-gamers into playing, that's essentially what I did to my fiancé. Ticket to ride and catan both strike me as good starting places, there's a lot of player interaction, the rules aren't too complicated and your goals are usually pretty apparent so you don't have to think in convoluted ways. Maybe I should make a blog post about it...
Bang is another good gateway game, pretty fast paced and simple to understand. And player interaction is like 80% of the game.

Scarthian

The Shadow Broker
Feb 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Scarthian
Have her try out Warhammer 40K by dropping a phone book-sized codex in her lap and say, "Start reading! This will be fun!"
Lol I should give this a try though I feel like I may be hit with said book before she actually reads it.

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
I wish I had my own twitter to follow this. But IF I ever do make a personal twitter account I would definitely follow this. Settlers of Catan? Didn't see it on your shelf...

Oh and...

::Cough Cough:: Starfleet Battles....

::Cough Cough:: Harpoon....

::Cough Cough:: I really need to stop smoking digital cigarettes in video games..SNAKKKKKEEE!

TypeO

Space Marshal
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Privateer
Have her try out Warhammer 40K by dropping a phone book-sized codex in her lap and say, "Start reading! This will be fun!"
Maybe start with the Doom boardgame first. It's beginner friendly, but still deep enough to have fun with it for a longer time. Also figures of all the doom monsters.

UnderSc0re

Space Marshal
Mar 17, 2015
RSI Handle
UnderSc0re
If we ever do a TESTfest LAN party I'll bring my Crimson Fists. I've only played once during 4th edition are we on 6?

Forgot your password?