Boarderlands

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
As with most reviews of reviews, this is mostly nameless people sharing their judgements without any real substance concerning what they liked or didn’t. One substantive claim is that this is a Guardians of the Galaxy rip-off. Well that’s what it looked like from the trailer, and why I’m interested!

Yeah but mostly negative comments. I can’t tell if this is just default mode. I’m reminded of how badly the reviews went for Doom, and I loved that film. “Grimm Reaper”. “They’re marines, not poets!” What a great film.

So, no telling from this how you’ll like it, but if you like a squeaky teenager getting doused with a bucket full of pee, probably you’ll like this.

“It’s in my mouth!”

View: https://youtu.be/axfOS-dxvKo?si=kf2ajkJiWlmw7aLu

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I was interested in this movie, curious as to how well it'll match up with the Borderlands games, until I saw videos of Jack(ass) Black & his partner in stupidity openly state in front of people attending their concert that they wished the assassin hadn't missed & had killed Trump. They then apologized, but then retracted their apology. So now I honestly hope that they both are killed in some horrific manner, such as having some random deadly animal attack them in their sleep, or better yet have a frozen blue turd block fall from a plane & land directly on top of them. Either way, both of them are dead to me forever now & I will never support anything they are a part of ever again. Except for the movie Jackal, I'll always enjoy how Jack(ass) is removed from the movie.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Jack Black is a Canadian actor, "comedian" & singer in a band called Tenacious D. Most know him from his being in things like the Kung Fu Panda movies or other types of garbage comedies. I found it funny that their little on stage stunt caused such a negative reaction, that the Australian government kicked them out of the country.

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
A video game adaptation movie written by people who have never even played A video game, let alone the one the movie is about, failed at the box office? But Kevin Hart! The kids love his one single and only character. He's perfect for Roland because Black! It couldn't be any more perfect!

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
How do we know the writers never played a video game? Was there a press release to that effect?

This had a $100M budget so would be in the black if it grosses $200M. I don’t think it’s out yet, so a little early to say it failed.

• o7

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
It don't take a press release to tell that much. I watched the trailer and that was plenty of proof for me. But you're not wrong, I'm totally just some guy on the internet. There have been movies in the past that I've ended up loving which had dogshit trailers that prevented me from seeing them in theaters. As someone who has played all of the games, I would love to see a faithful big-screen adaptation. That adaptation would, at its core, contain the vibe of humor that existed in the games, and the trailer at least didn't exhibit that feel. It definitely seems like a "Will watch at home when the wife is reading" kinda movie for me.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
BOREDerlands

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
I was interested in this movie, curious as to how well it'll match up with the Borderlands games, until I saw videos of Jack(ass) Black & his partner in stupidity openly state in front of people attending their concert that they wished the assassin hadn't missed & had killed Trump.
Well, seems to me it was Kyle Guess that made that wish. Though Jack Black didn't dispute that notice. But that's not quite the same as agreeing. -> Kyle Gass makes a wish
Though if that makes it impossible for you to watch a movie with his voiceacting, then just watch the Kantonese version with English subtitles.
It can impossibly, in the case of this particular movie, make the movie any less enjoyable.
Guess I'll wait for Prime to run that flick for free before I give a final verdict though.
I have the nagging feeling that I might enjoy the add-breaks more than the movie ... :thump:

• o7

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Well, seems to me it was Kyle Guess that made that wish. Though Jack Black didn't dispute that notice. But that's not quite the same as agreeing. -> Kyle Gass makes a wish
Though if that makes it impossible for you to watch a movie with his voiceacting, then just watch the Kantonese version with English subtitles.
It can impossibly, in the case of this particular movie, make the movie any less enjoyable.
Guess I'll wait for Prime to run that flick for free before I give a final verdict though.
I have the nagging feeling that I might enjoy the add-breaks more than the movie ... :thump:
At this point, only 2 things can cause me to give anything that Jack(ass) Black, other than the movie The Jackal, a chance, but I highly doubt that his pride & ego would ever truly allow him to sincerely apologize with legitimate remorse for what he & his partner have said on the matter. So until that happens or they both die in some manner eventually, he's a hard negative to anything that he's included in from this point on as far as I'm concerned.

• o7
Reactions: Mudhawk

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
So until that happens or they both die in some manner eventually,
You do realize that in case of Jack Black leaving the mortal coil the Aether will be full of re-runs of his more memorable movies, right?
We are talking about the level of "Tropical Thunder" and such.

And talking about bad movies and since there was a weekend inbetween posts...
Did anyone succumb to the urge to check just how bad "Border(Line Syndrome)Lands" really is by sacrificing their brains in the temple of moving pictures?
And if yes, do you want to talk about it...?

• o7

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I have seen an abundance of reviews trashing Borderlands. What I haven’t seen are criticisms with observations or judgements I agree are the sign of a bad movie. So I’m ambivalent. I want to see Deadpool and Wolverine more, and the new Alien movie more, but I love the idea of a Guardians style comedy and I really like the actors.

So for example the reviewer of IGN complains about the look, color palette, and general feel visually, but in all the clips during the review I like the look. So what gives?

The only criticism I have seen that makes sense is one person complained they got the “tone” of the movie wrong. That is a serious complaint but if it’s true, why doesn’t everyone point that specific thing out?

Critics gave this 9%, while audiences are giving 50%, and granted all the trash talking the critics offered before release, It’s pretty obvious audiences would have given a higher score if not taught to hate this.

I’m half convinced people are trashing it because so few people these days can think for themselves. Could just be a mob phenomena, like voting for a candidate with no accomplishments, and a party with no platform. Just “end of an empire” decadence. So yeah, I still intend to see it.

Last edited:
  • o7

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
BOREDerlands
That was my reaction to it as well. It's not that I know Borderlands to be 'bad'. It just doesn't have a 'brand' with me that generates much excitement. So I wonder if such a 'lack of brand' leads others to chime in on social media sites with more negative reviews than may be deserved given the quality of the product. Perhaps it is not just about the actual product, but about the developer's need to work on creating more brand awareness about why their product is cool, exciting, and worth their prospective audience's time in a crowded world. It may not be that 'audiences were taught to hate the product' (not my experience) so much as the 'developer hasn't invested enough cash into making their product's brand intriguing, interesting, and/or desirable enough.

Last edited:

Mishi

Commander
Aug 14, 2024
RSI Handle
Mishi
I played all the games, some more than others. I was interested until the pg13, and also saw Kevin Hart. I'm sorry for whoever is a fan but if a movie has the rock or Kevin hart, I wait until home release. I'm not saying I won't like it but I'll risk it at home. Deadpool and alien were more of a sure bet.

Forgot your password?