Can someone explain to me why ships go off the market for a while?

Hero9012

Space Marshal
Dec 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Hero9012
I mean, it's a good thing for my wallet, but I would love to purchase a Carrack, retaliator, .... lets be real if I could I'd probably buy every ship and eat cardboard till I recovered financially.

Really though, the Carrack is the last ship I want to purchase for the sake of my friends, testies, and me. Then I can weep in peace.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
There are limited time sales of different ships. Keeps the market from being flooded. Also keeps the hype up. We like hype.

Reactions: supitza

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
There are limited time sales of different ships. Keeps the market from being flooded. Also keeps the hype up. We like hype.
Basically this. Limited ship sales in 2015 were far more frequent though than they were in 2014 due to the expanding player base which meant they could sell them more.

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
Artificially limiting population of ships. How fun would the universe be if everyone had top of the line ships? Or all the ships?

Myre

Pit Crew
Staff member
Feb 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Myre
On top of all that is said, they have a rough idea of how many of each kind of special ship they want to have in the 'verse on release day for balance reasons. As the community grows, so can the number of these ships they can sell to maintain that ratio.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
They only want a certain amount of each ship in the game for x amount of players. When we get more players they decide to increase how many of each ship can be in the game. :) so pretty much the more citizens there are the more they sell.

Foible

Space Marshal
Sep 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Foible
I think they have once said they have some concept of shaping the numbers of the types of ships they want to start with. So if some ships are more popular and numerous than they had planned, they won't appear in a sale, but if a ship has been sold in lower quantities than they expected, they will promote its sale more often.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
popularity of combat ships in-game will depend on how they are balanced against one another

for other ship types, it will depend on how rewarding the gameplay is for their role - e.g. mining, hauling, exploration

emergent gameplay will trump CIG's intentions

Forgot your password?