• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
Man, the MAXX is looking pretty sweet. Overall, the freelancer series is probably going to be the most attractive to me. I can do pretty much anything that I would want to with those ships without relying too much on large crews or NPCs. I'll be very happy to help out on a crew when someone needs it but taking off in one of these by yourself is looking pretty awesome.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Just adding in my 2 UEC as a flag waving member of the Caterpillar fan club.

Caterpillar is shaping up to be the capital ship boarding craft of choice. That front plate? Heavy duty hull cutter. One of the very very few modules we have seen is a crew compartment, which looks like it could seat 6 boarders very comfortably. With 5 crew, thats 11 boarders with just one of the Caterpillars modules. Think about if you mixed Crew Quarters and Cargo space modules 50/50, ram an Idris and board it, disable the crew, take the loot, and then either steal the ship or scuttle it.

Caterpillar has also been stated to be very durable, having "heavier armor than other freighters in its class", and "The offensive capabilities are a little light, but what it lacks in offense it more than makes up for in defensive options. It can take a beating and ask for seconds depending on the option combinations."

Caterpillar suffers a lot from being on the backburner with horribly outdated stats. Even from the beginning, the term "Freelancers evil twin" with no stats at the same price as a Constellation was a hard sell for people, hence why LTI Caterpillars are some of the rarest ships around. A big example of the stats is the fact that there are clearly 4 main engines, or 2 main engines and 2 very large maneuvering thrusters (a la Cutlass) but the stats still only show one. Stats are constantly in flux, subject to change, etc etc etc. I suspect the weapons loadout on the Caterpillar will be buffed a bit in comparison to the Constellation, maybe an extra turret or something to compensate for the lack of missiles galore the Connie posseses.

Caterpillar, to me, is not really intended to be a merchant vessel, although it will probably shine in that role if equipped for it. (I can see a Caterpillar being a very good high risk cargo hauler, due to the defensive options + detachable command center) To me, it seems more to be a support/loot ship for pirate groups, which to me sounds awesome.

The main thing that will make or break the Caterpillar is the modularity. If it's anything like this: I will be giddy with excitement (although I would personally love to see a fueling module included so the Caterpillar can refuel fighters like the Starfarer, albeit less effectively). The idea of buying a bunch of modules, and swapping out the same hull to be a tanker, freight hauler, piracy support ship, boarding craft, SAR vessel, etc etc just sounds amazing to me, and a real asset for TEST to have a few of since they'd be so flexible.

If its just 2-3 bland modules, Caterpillar had better have some damn fine redeeming qualities.

On a side note I kinda doubt the Banu MM will have 6000 FUs of space when its finally modeled and the ship stats are "final". Hull C has 9000, and its over 2x as long.

Reactions: Black Sunder

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Just adding in my 2 UEC as a flag waving member of the Caterpillar fan club.

Caterpillar is shaping up to be the capital ship boarding craft of choice. That front plate? Heavy duty hull cutter. One of the very very few modules we have seen is a crew compartment, which looks like it could seat 6 boarders very comfortably. With 5 crew, thats 11 boarders with just one of the Caterpillars modules. Think about if you mixed Crew Quarters and Cargo space modules 50/50, ram an Idris and board it, disable the crew, take the loot, and then either steal the ship or scuttle it.

Caterpillar has also been stated to be very durable, having "heavier armor than other freighters in its class", and "The offensive capabilities are a little light, but what it lacks in offense it more than makes up for in defensive options. It can take a beating and ask for seconds depending on the option combinations."

Caterpillar suffers a lot from being on the backburner with horribly outdated stats. Even from the beginning, the term "Freelancers evil twin" with no stats at the same price as a Constellation was a hard sell for people, hence why LTI Caterpillars are some of the rarest ships around. A big example of the stats is the fact that there are clearly 4 main engines, or 2 main engines and 2 very large maneuvering thrusters (a la Cutlass) but the stats still only show one. Stats are constantly in flux, subject to change, etc etc etc. I suspect the weapons loadout on the Caterpillar will be buffed a bit in comparison to the Constellation, maybe an extra turret or something to compensate for the lack of missiles galore the Connie posseses.

Caterpillar, to me, is not really intended to be a merchant vessel, although it will probably shine in that role if equipped for it. (I can see a Caterpillar being a very good high risk cargo hauler, due to the defensive options + detachable command center) To me, it seems more to be a support/loot ship for pirate groups, which to me sounds awesome.

The main thing that will make or break the Caterpillar is the modularity. If it's anything like this: I will be giddy with excitement (although I would personally love to see a fueling module included so the Caterpillar can refuel fighters like the Starfarer, albeit less effectively). The idea of buying a bunch of modules, and swapping out the same hull to be a tanker, freight hauler, piracy support ship, boarding craft, SAR vessel, etc etc just sounds amazing to me, and a real asset for TEST to have a few of since they'd be so flexible.

If its just 2-3 bland modules, Caterpillar had better have some damn fine redeeming qualities.

On a side note I kinda doubt the Banu MM will have 6000 FUs of space when its finally modeled and the ship stats are "final". Hull C has 9000, and its over 2x as long.

I like this and it makes several good points about the Cat. We know Drake ships are the unofficial 'pirate' ships so it will be interesting to see how they pan out.

In other news the Hull series is still in the lead by a lot.

Forgot your password?