Caterpillar shenanigans (or how to get on via the legs, and steal a car in space) picture heavy

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Hey, I did a Test thing!

No, I didn't crash my Cat properly, but I kinda miscalculated the landing. A bit.

ScreenShot1621.jpg

I've been renting ships and doing a standard box delivery every day since the IAE began, and today I took a Cat for a ride. I was to deliver a box to Daymar Kudre Ore from RnR AC 1. Nothing special...
Got to the station (in two turns actually, had to do stuff irl, so I logged out in bed next to the station before pickup, logged in later, accepted basically the same mission again. Logging worked fine). Picked up the box, placed it into the first cargo module, cos that's proper, and went looking for the bridge.

ScreenShot1628.jpg

Went through the ship several times, still barely know how to get to it lol... Anyways, I went on to Daymar. After reading half of the entire internet during this "short" journey, I finally arrived at Tatooi... I mean Daymar.

So I came in to land, looked for a seemingly flat open spot next to the building, as there are no pads, started descending, and when I saw the front leg hitting the ground from my cockpit, I jumped out of my seat and went to pick up the crate.
As you know, gravity is pretty light on Daymar, so I opted for jumping out with the box through the side of a cargo unit...

ScreenShot1633.jpg

It all looked fine, until I started dropping... and dropping... and dropping even more!!
Well that was strange, but whatever, the side doors are probably higher up then I remembered...
Went to the hut, checked the box in the vending machine, got my mission completed, took a pic of the nose through a window for posterity.

ScreenShot1637.jpg

Then I went outside, and saw this:

ScreenShot1638.jpg

Ywup, the whole ship was standing on ONE LEG!

ScreenShot1639.jpg

Fffffff, how am I gonna get back in???
Ran around the ship a few times, thought long and hard about my options. Put out a message for help, and ask someone to bump the ship so it lands? Ask someone to hover next to it so I can get back in through the sides?
Nah, I'll try some platforming/glithing my way in!
My best approach was next to the front leg that was on the ground, the second leg that was slightly in the air. I could still get on it easily enough with a jump, and open the loading door on it's right. But then I had to get higher on the leg, but the hydraulics were in the way and I kept falling off...
After many many tries, I finally managed to get it right! Line up Exactly in the middle parallel with the leg. Two jumps in quick succession. The first got me onto the middle of the leg, the second got me up to the top. Stop immediately, do an exact 180, inch 2 steps forward (the lightest/shortest of tap on the keyboard), point at the yellow guard rail on your left that's further away.
Pray to the beer gods.
Forward Jump!

And i Did IT! Got back onto the ship!

ScreenShot1644.jpg

I was so excited about this turn of events, that I immediately looked for another delivery back to area18. Good thing I did, cos this gets funnier (to me at least).
The pickup was on Cellin, other side of Crusader, so I as I had to go around it anyway, I aimed for Port O for a quick splash of fuel, as the "normal" fuel was on 48%.
Upon arriving at Port O, asked for a landing perm, and started slowly approaching the indicated pad... when I nearly hit a Tumbril Cyclone!!?!!

ScreenShot1646.jpg

WTF is that thing doing there?? Ah, whatever, I'll just go aorund it and lan.... Oooooor I could try and Scoop it Up!! Free Cyclone!!

First try didn't go well. Tried the side doors, and even though it landed nicely on the opened ramp, suspension compressing and everything, it bounced off and like it's name suggests, tumbled away.

ScreenShot1651.jpg

Then my dumb ass remembered that the Cat has a Mouth! A pretty big one at that!

ScreenShot1654.jpg

Success!!
Almost.
It was upside down, but still, it was inside, almost, and sticking to the floor, so it was Mine Now!!!

pic (see next post)

After trying all sorts of manouvers, trying to move it around a bit, it ended up breaking the front door and it wouldn't close, but that didn't really matter. I landed, refueled, repaired, and went to Cellin.
By the time I got there, the Cyclone was mostly inside, so even the doors could close on it properly. Apart from it being upside down, it was really really cool!
I thought it would be still registered to it's original owner, so I wouldn't be able to drive it anyways, but nope! I could get in the drivers seat, start it up, accelerate, steer, everyhting... Too bad it was still pointing with it's wheels up, like some french people carrier on a highway... (saw this happen live several times with 2000 Citroen Picassos. Google it, horrible ugly deathtrap of a car)

pic (see next post)

My original plan was that it didn't matter if it was upside down, cos I could "shake" it out from the cargo bay over a planet, flip it right side up with the ship if necessary (already done this before, no biggie), and play with it a little just for kicks. Now the problem with this plan is that I entirely forgot that only the ships own "gravity" affects objects inside it (the infamous object grid system or whatever it was called).
So it just wouldn't budge. Tried it above Cellin, and Area18, wouldn't movie an inch. So in the end, I landed, with the Cyclone still in the nose like a large annoying bugger, and just delivered the box.
The End.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Haha, this is awesome. And hilarious. Looking forward to having some experiences myself come February.
The free fly was good, lots of ppl going around doing silly stuff lol
Also, it's a really stable release, haven't had a single crash since the expo started (1-2 hour sessions), I could deliver all the boxes I picked up, and apart from area 18, fps was fine. I hope you get to play a similarly stable build with 3.8 in Feb, cos it makes a huge difference to the overall feel!

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
The free fly was good, lots of ppl going around doing silly stuff lol
Also, it's a really stable release, haven't had a single crash since the expo started (1-2 hour sessions), I could deliver all the boxes I picked up, and apart from area 18, fps was fine. I hope you get to play a similarly stable build with 3.8 in Feb, cos it makes a huge difference to the overall feel!
I hope so too my friend. I think having SSOCS in game will make a huge difference too. I'm looking forward to stability, but also to the implementation of mechanics.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
View attachment 14448

Did someone double park a reclaimer, nose down?
Yup, pretty much! Lol

When I was flying it a few days ago, as the middle of the ship cleared the hangar doors, it violently rolled to the right, flipping almost up side down. The game though I was out of the hangar, while half the ship was still hanging inside, and the doors started to close. After some furious boosting and mashing of keys I got free before it chopped off thr back. Still mostly on its side, resting on the pavement next to the hangar. 4-5 minutes of fighting with the controls, spinning and crashing into things, and it finally stabilized enough that I could roll it correct side up, and finally start flying.

I guess the same happened to this guy, he just gave up or wasn't that lucky and got killed.

Forgot your password?