Chen wants to get his photography career rolling, what advice can you give him?

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
@ChenAU is building up his portfolio and aiming to get his photography career rolling.

Here is his website: http://glassinfocus.com/

If you are a professional photographer and have ideas and suggestions for him, let him know and lets try make his dreams come true!

Reactions: ChenAU

Egriz

Grand Pooh-Bear
Donor
Jan 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Egriz
Grammar in the 'About Me' section is wonky.

"Humans, I love them. I love their emotions, their curiosity and their interactions. Humans are just beautiful creatures and It still fascinates me today knowing how humans can harm one another but only choosing not to."

-Add a comma after curiosity.
-Remove the 'just' in 'just beautiful creatures'. Just do 'Humans are beautiful creatures.'
-Lowercase 'i' in 'It still fascinates me', have 'Humans are beautiful creatures' be its own sentence.
-The last sentence in general just sounds wrong. I can't really think of any workaround, I would try rewording this or going a different direction. It threw me off.

I would expand your 'About Me' section greatly. What are your credentials, your experience? Where did you study?

I would put the licensing information on its own page. Keep the 'About Me' section focused on you.

Shenanigons

Captain
Jul 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Shenanigons
Grammar in the 'About Me' section is wonky.

"Humans, I love them. I love their emotions, their curiosity and their interactions. Humans are just beautiful creatures and It still fascinates me today knowing how humans can harm one another but only choosing not to."

-Add a comma after curiosity.
-Remove the 'just' in 'just beautiful creatures'. Just do 'Humans are beautiful creatures.'
-Lowercase 'i' in 'It still fascinates me', have 'Humans are beautiful creatures' be its own sentence.
-The last sentence in general just sounds wrong. I can't really think of any workaround, I would try rewording this or going a different direction. It threw me off.

I would expand your 'About Me' section greatly. What are your credentials, your experience? Where did you study?

I would put the licensing information on its own page. Keep the 'About Me' section focused on you.
Unless you’re writing for a particular publication or drafting an essay for school, whether or not you use the Oxford comma is generally up to you.

-Grammar Nazi

Soven Taliesyn

Space Marshal
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Soven-Taliesyn
Not a professional but I knowa couple. Portfolio and getting yourself out there. People are trusting you to make them look good. (Which is why I don't want to get into it professionally, that and too many years in customer service industry. People are dicks) Also, you have to let people know you exist. I know someone who sets up a booth to do quick photos just like the automated ones.

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
Get in contact with small local newspapers, newsletter and local organizations that might give you assignments. Gets your name out there and lets you learn how to follow assignments.

Participate in photo contests. Gets your name out there.

Consider submitting your photos to National Geographics. Just cause why not.

Reactions: Soven Taliesyn

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
Take alot of photo's. Alot of very good photo's. Go to universities and ask people to take photo's for free, offering them a professional photoshoot, but you get to choose the location. Eventually you can become known next year for doing this so much, that you charge people. First photo shoot is free. 2nd one cost 50$. 25$ if they recommended someone.

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
Make sure you have a release form handy! It might not seem important at first as you get your career going but you will thank yourself later if you start selling your photos to 3rd parties. Also, it will make sure that you can use your previous photographic work even after you become well-known.
If you get used to it now, it will become second hand nature and will help you in the longrun.

Yex

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Yex
Instagram selfies are the future.
Grow boobs.
Wear very few clothes.

Guaranteed +200,000 followers

Reactions: mromutt

ChenAU

Vice Admiral
Dec 8, 2014
RSI Handle
chenau
Not a professional but I knowa couple. Portfolio and getting yourself out there. People are trusting you to make them look good. (Which is why I don't want to get into it professionally, that and too many years in customer service industry. People are dicks) Also, you have to let people know you exist. I know someone who sets up a booth to do quick photos just like the automated ones.
Get in contact with small local newspapers, newsletter and local organizations that might give you assignments. Gets your name out there and lets you learn how to follow assignments.

Participate in photo contests. Gets your name out there.

Consider submitting your photos to National Geographics. Just cause why not.
So far I have printed my business cards, joined up with my university's magazines the yak (http://yakatuon.com/). As for
National Geographic I might start to participate in their comps as well as the other comps including 4chan. How I get my name out there? I currently roam the streets doing my street photography and offering to take and send their portrait.

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
National Geographic I might start to participate in their comps as well as the other comps including 4chan. How I get my name out there? I currently roam the streets doing my street photography and offering to take and send their portrait.
Local art shows are great as well to get your name out there. Coffee shops will sometimes put your work on their walls. Also, try local galleries, many have art contests and submittion for shows. I have done a few and my brother as well. It gets you involved in the local art scene and lets you meet people that are interested rather than random folks who just want to go about their day.

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard

If you don't have a variable ND filter, add one to your kit. They are amazing time-savers when shooting outdoors.

Forgot your password?