Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
From the RSI Forums:

CIG Ben Lesnickwcloaf
Posted: December 1

"We are in the process of replacing the high value ($1,000+) packages with versions that include newer ships and options; expect to see them replaced by the end of the year!"

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/3994747/#Comment_3994747

&

"Yes, I actually made a proposal for changes to the high tier packages to make more sense cost/ship wise and have had them approved! You should see the changes coming later this month if all goes to plan ;)"

Best,
Chelsea [CIG CS]

&

"Sure, it's already gotten out a bit so no harm there! The changes won't be retroactive, any previously sold packages would not be touched, but I have a feeling a lot of people will want to switch ;)"

Best,
Chelsea [CIG CS]

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/209670/confirmed-new-high-tier-packages-coming-soon

As someone who is nearing the Space Marshall rank, but doesn't own an Idris and missed out on a Javelin, I'm actually glad to see they are revamping the out-of-date higher end packages finally. They never made much financial sense and many people have complained that they were overpriced for what you were getting, regardless of extended insurance or LTI, and didn't include any of the new spaceships or concepts.

I have quite a few ships now and have not melted a single one since I started backing the game a year ago. But should one of the new packages tickle my pickle with a lower-priced capital ship, a few of my pricier toys might end up in that great salvage yard in the sky.

We'll see. Anyone else here thinking the same thing or are you happy with your mini-fleet the way it is?

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
If they come out with some sensible packages with an Idris, my entire hangar is at risk!

Thanks for using your Jedi powers on them Capt Richard!

Reactions: CitizenDad

Dortz

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 4, 2014
RSI Handle
Dortz
I 'might' look into dropping into one of the higher packages, I am up into the range of the lower value packages.

It's always really just been a more an interesting idea for me.

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
A 1k or so pack with Million Mile Club (MMC) AND a MM, would be an instant sale for me

Reactions: MrDick47

Dortz

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 4, 2014
RSI Handle
Dortz
Put your wallet away and go to bed.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Oh lord, this was the last thing my wallet needed.

Captain Easy

Commander
Nov 19, 2014
RSI Handle
captaineasy
It's difficult to walk around with CIG in my wallet. The new high value packages should make me a Nillionaire! (someone who has little or no money)

Shar Treuse

Captain
Nov 24, 2014
RSI Handle
Shar Treuse
glad to see they are revamping the out-of-date higher end packages finally. They never made much financial sense and many people have complained that they were overpriced for what you were getting
I never understood this, as it is clearly stated that nobody has ever "bought a ship", although people talk about it in those terms. CR/CIG clearly stated from the beginning that all the money collected by the crowdfunding is donations, and that the ships/packages are "donation rewards", much like how public television stations do fund raising and give out "gifts", like at the $100 level you can specify that you want the Dr. Who boxed set or the Pavarotti boxed set of DVDs. Of course they are "overpriced", heck they are nothing but pixels and bits. This is fund raising for development, not a Toys R Us X-mas sale.

I've spent a lot on games, though not this much on a game that is not even close to being out yet, in the past 15 years or so. But before that it was the same with AD&D, I had several hundred dollars worth of big, heavy, hard bound rulebooks. In some ways, I regret having spent so much but in others I'm content with the fact that I spent it on things that I have enjoyed. Star Citizen is different though, as for the first time I know I've supported something worthwhile, knowing full well that I really, honestly, have nothing to show for it beyond some pixels and bits I can't even use yet as none of my ships are flyable in Arena Commander.

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
I never understood this, as it is clearly stated that nobody has ever "bought a ship", although people talk about it in those terms.
While this is true and we're simply backing the game and receiving placeholder ships in the mean time, the pricing for the upper tier packages still seemed pretty far out there compared to just pledging for the same ships individually.

Case in point, take the Battle Pack for $1,150. You receive the following:

Andromeda Constellation Package
Origin 350R Racer
Aurora LX
+ 9 skins & 6 additional months of insurance for 12 total.

During previous sales and the recent Anniversary Sale, you could pledge for the exact same thing for only $455, minus the 4 additional ships skins. That's nearly a $700 difference. Think of how many additional Auroras you could buy to fly into the sun for that cost discrepancy.

Although many people have bought these packages anyway, I think this concept rubs new and current backers the wrong way as imposing such a high premium for conceptually limited ships, simply because one's timing was off, is unfortunate and CIG finally realized their offerings were somewhat a bit out there, not to mention out of date. They have mentioned before they are not adding any of the much newer ships to the Completionist package and again, this has irked the biggest current backers from what I've seen.

So it would appear that CIG is working to restructure the upper echelon packages to have them be more reasonable and inclusive. I can imagine previous package owners will have the opportunity to melt their War Packs and the like to upgrade to the newer and hopefully cost appropriate packages and get some new additions to their hangar in the process.

I give them a preliminary high-five for doing this. :)

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
My wallet is dead already, no worries here.

But if I ever get 15 grand, I want it to be spent on the most internet spaceships possible.

Listen to me. I've been hanging out with you rich gamers too long.

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
Captain Richards has a point.. and when he has a point we listen. Just like his charm powers worked on Chelsea (I noticed the wink.. I mean BOTH winks). It's good they are going to revamp these packages and hope that people who already purchased them will see the changes and will not create a melt-fest for people to try to get these packages. I'm late to the game to funding/backing and if I decided to melt everything I have I don't think I should be able to get the "pirate package" for the same price as the original... it should be a gift to the "original backers' for that price. But perhaps "adjust" the prices of the larger packages to people who want it now with all the "fixings".

I think that makes sense...

I've spent a lot on games, though not this much on a game that is not even close to being out yet, in the past 15 years or so. But before that it was the same with AD&D, I had several hundred dollars worth of big, heavy, hard bound rulebooks. In some ways, I regret having spent so much but in others I'm content with the fact that I spent it on things that I have enjoyed. Star Citizen is different though, as for the first time I know I've supported something worthwhile, knowing full well that I really, honestly, have nothing to show for it beyond some pixels and bits I can't even use yet as none of my ships are flyable in Arena Commander.
You may get to that time in your life where you look at all your AD&D and D&D, and various other RPGs you collected down the years and decide to sell them. Not all of them dear God; but most of them and only keeping some originals. I did that about two years ago and got a little under 3k. I did keep my AD&D players hand book, DM guide, and fiend folio from 1st edition... but sold everything else ;) It was sad day... but helped pay for other things to include savings.

Reactions: CaptainRichard

Shar Treuse

Captain
Nov 24, 2014
RSI Handle
Shar Treuse
They are all long gone, and not worth the cost it would have entailed to drag them around across the country (and across borders sometimes). Everything I have for pnp gaming doesn't even fill one half of a small shelf anymore.

Forgot your password?