Colo(u)ring/Graphic Software

Best Graphic/Colouring Program?

• Adobe Photoshop

• Corel Painter

• Some other program I'm not aware of? Please specify in the comments.

• YAY!! A poll.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Ok, so here's the deal. I'm getting back into my art. Starting with pencil, as that was the medium of choice for me throughout my artistic life. Moving forward I want to expand on that, and I plan to scan my images, start colouring them, and playing with graphic design, etc.

Now, I've seen a shit ton of amazing work here on this forum, from multiple members. My query to you, my beautiful TESTies, is what program is the best? Assume I've never worked with any graphic software before, as I haven't since 1999.

I want a program that's not to heavy on the learning curve, easy to use and manage, and not to damn complex. I'm pretty sure I just said the same thing 3 different ways, but y'all get my point. Also, not to damn hard on the pocket book.

Reactions: SeungRyul

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
I've been thinking about Adobe Illustrator(lots of horsepower, learning curve looks steep for quality results). I use Photoshop for astrophotography and didn't know it could be used for art.

Reactions: Blind Owl

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
I really like Photoshop because while it's highly impressive and can do things that will blow your mind, it's not so complex that you have to spend hours watching tutorials just to learn the interface (I'm looking at you, Mudbox...). That's not to say that its learning curve is negligible, but considering how prolific the Adobe suite is you'll have very little trouble finding tutorials that'll show you anything you want to know.

I hadn't really used PS beyond some really super basic things before I joined TEST and now, while I'm by no means a guru, I'd say I'm a proficient amateur/borderline hobbyist considering that I've probably spent less than 150 hours in the program altogether and that was rarely with the intention of vastly improving my skill level.

If cost is a consideration there's also GIMP, but I could never get the hang of the interface. It always felt very archaic to me. Like things had just been placed wherever.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I use Manga Studio 5 for outlining/coloring, SAI for outlining/coloring, and Adobe Photoshop for mostly outlining/text/effects.
I'm checking these out. Thanks @Arrangingstars.
I really like Photoshop because while it's highly impressive and can do things that will blow your mind, it's not so complex that you have to spend hours watching tutorials just to learn the interface (I'm looking at you, Mudbox...). That's not to say that its learning curve is negligible, but considering how prolific the Adobe suite is you'll have very little trouble finding tutorials that'll show you anything you want to know.

I hadn't really used PS beyond some really super basic things before I joined TEST and now, while I'm by no means a guru, I'd say I'm a proficient amateur/borderline hobbyist considering that I've probably spent less than 150 hours in the program altogether and that was rarely with the intention of vastly improving my skill level.

If cost is a consideration there's also GIMP, but I could never get the hang of the interface. It always felt very archaic to me. Like things had just been placed wherever.
Great rundown @EpilepticCricket. Thanks a million. I'm digging in and researching some. Cheers.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
So. Turns out there are nifty things out there called "Tablets" that you can use for art. Specifically made for it even, And wouldn't you know, there's one on sale on Amazon (Canuck version). It's called a "Huion h610 pro graphics drawing pen tablet (8 express-keys and 16 hot cells)". And for 77.00 CAD (52% off), it seems pretty stellar. I checked some reviews. More stellar.

So I talked to 9er Domestic and she said "Hey, I'm ecstatic that you're getting back into your art. Giver!" So I ordered it.

Now I have all the programs recommended by you lovely TESTies bookmarked. When I get the tablet, I'll start some free trials, try the programs out, and pick one. Who woulda thunk it'd be that easy to start drawing and getting my stuff digital. Damn.

So thank you lovelies. So very much. It's been a fine evening of research and discovery. Cannot wait to start showcasing some "drarwings".

Keep the input coming though, I want MOAR!!

Reactions: EpilepticCricket

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt

Yeah I would agree with this, photoshop can do amazing things but to just pick up and go its easy to get into. And then learn more when you run into something new you are trying to do.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
So. Turns out there are nifty things out there called "Tablets" that you can use for art. Specifically made for it even, And wouldn't you know, there's one on sale on Amazon (Canuck version). It's called a "Huion h610 pro graphics drawing pen tablet (8 express-keys and 16 hot cells)". And for 77.00 CAD (52% off), it seems pretty stellar. I checked some reviews. More stellar.

So I talked to 9er Domestic and she said "Hey, I'm ecstatic that you're getting back into your art. Giver!" So I ordered it.

Now I have all the programs recommended by you lovely TESTies bookmarked. When I get the tablet, I'll start some free trials, try the programs out, and pick one. Who woulda thunk it'd be that easy to start drawing and getting my stuff digital. Damn.

So thank you lovelies. So very much. It's been a fine evening of research and discovery. Cannot wait to start showcasing some "drarwings".

Keep the input coming though, I want MOAR!!
That's awesome! I've been tempted in the past to pick a tablet, but I rarely art enough for it to be worth it. Honestly, 90% of what I want is covered by paint.net, which is a freeware program that basically takes MS Paint, gives it some of the basic features found in other programs, and let's you go at it. It's not fancy, but surprisingly capable, and excellent for working on campaign maps in an RPG.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
90% of what I want is covered by paint.net, which is a freeware program that basically takes MS Paint, gives it some of the basic features found in other programs, and let's you go at it
I'll take a gander at this little program. *adds to list for after work*. Thank you kind sir.

Keep 'em coming good people. Every little bit helps.

Forgot your password?