Corsair Q&A

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
Your new avatar throws me off so bad. [CONCERN]ed.
you got something against baby wombats?

be patient, I'm rotating between cute/funny critters, K-pop idols, other random goofy-looking people, and pics of Maynard G. Krebs, the OG hep cat

I was gonna change it this weekend but I'm holding off due to popular demand

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Frankly I have no clue and no way to know now what my actual playtime is going to be like when the game is finally released years from now. If it's anything like now I will probably be very limited as far as attending scheduled activities so grouping on a regular basis with the same core set of folks may not be in the cards and I may end up flying solo a lot. I do know that I want to explore though and I know there are going to be times when the stars line up just right, so I've gotten exploration ships from the 315p up to the Carrack. And yes, if the rumors are to be believed and I can actually shoot things now, I picked up a corsair for the rougher parts of space.
I think there will be many of us like this. I haven't been able to schedule cooperative playtime since Asheron's Call back in the 90's (apart from the pool I play with the guys at church every other Friday night.) I think though, that there are a couple things that really work for scheduled play in SC.

First is they endorse multiple characters, so you can have one just for exploring in a group if you like. Second is, if the ship has beds you can log out and the ship and all its contents, including PCs survives. So you can play pop-on and fly a mission every night in 7 minutes if that's all you've got time for, and you can connect with a bunch of guys who want to play cooperatively, and that ship spawns every Friday night for 3 hours or some such, with up to 12 possible characters but you'll need 8 or some such. You can also combine these two. You can fly as a solo explorer and funnel that intel to your character who is flying on a weekender Carrack. In fact, everyone on a Carrck that's exploring, or a Polaris that is hunting Vanduul, can fly short dailies to gather intel for what they later do with their group. That would seem a hugely effective way to play to me. You can also multiply this flexibility by building fleets. You might choose to explore with a Carrack, Polaris and StarG, and if almost no one showed up, you might only spawn one of the three, but you'd still be accomplishing something for the group, like fueling up and scouting that next system.

My point is always that we all, always have pressure to play alone because of our schedules and because it requires no responsibility to play alone. Despite this we need to embrace the fact that we are each individually many times more effective as a part of a team than we are alone. My guess is there will be many disappointed Jav owners who though they have been told many times, just do not get this. Buying a big ship does not make you effective. It makes you a target. Working well with others is the single most important part of effective teamwork, be it work or play.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I think there will be many of us like this. I haven't been able to schedule cooperative playtime since Asheron's Call back in the 90's (apart from the pool I play with the guys at church every other Friday night.) I think though, that there are a couple things that really work for scheduled play in SC.

First is they endorse multiple characters, so you can have one just for exploring in a group if you like. Second is, if the ship has beds you can log out and the ship and all its contents, including PCs survives. So you can play pop-on and fly a mission every night in 7 minutes if that's all you've got time for, and you can connect with a bunch of guys who want to play cooperatively, and that ship spawns every Friday night for 3 hours or some such, with up to 12 possible characters but you'll need 8 or some such. You can also combine these two. You can fly as a solo explorer and funnel that intel to your character who is flying on a weekender Carrack. In fact, everyone on a Carrck that's exploring, or a Polaris that is hunting Vanduul, can fly short dailies to gather intel for what they later do with their group. That would seem a hugely effective way to play to me. You can also multiply this flexibility by building fleets. You might choose to explore with a Carrack, Polaris and StarG, and if almost no one showed up, you might only spawn one of the three, but you'd still be accomplishing something for the group, like fueling up and scouting that next system.

My point is always that we all, always have pressure to play alone because of our schedules and because it requires no responsibility to play alone. Despite this we need to embrace the fact that we are each individually many times more effective as a part of a team than we are alone. My guess is there will be many disappointed Jav owners who though they have been told many times, just do not get this. Buying a big ship does not make you effective. It makes you a target. Working well with others is the single most important part of effective teamwork, be it work or play.

Or you can have kids and thus quality family time is taking the Carrack out exploring.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
There is a piece of Good Advice in the above paragraph.
It applies to every ship model we have, right from a piew piew, to a thunderstorm. And know how to create a hurricane if you fly a warship, or circle the wagons if you fly something not built for combat. You can defend as well as attack better as part of a team.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
game is nearly done right.....
That is the dream. But the reality is Chris has stated he hopes to never be done that this game will continue to grow and evolve over the years. Just once persistence is finished he hopes to no longer need to wipe the player accounts.

Buying a big ships does make you a target but heh you have LTI right.
True LTI is nice in that you don't have to worry about the hull insurance. But its been mentioned that the hull is going to be a small part of the total ship cost from upgraded modules, crew, supplies and cargo. That loosing a large ship is going to be costly and a reminder why you should never fly alone.

Forgot your password?