Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
I say no if you plan on changing it. Go for 97 and sell what you have now. Would cost more but if you were going to buy a new CPU and mobo any way....

Reactions: CrashMan054

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
A big fan of ROG boards, but Giga and MSI have good boards this round too. The z97 Hero would be a good start

Shar Treuse

Captain
Nov 24, 2014
RSI Handle
Shar Treuse
The Asus Z97-AR is a good board on a budget. It supports anything you can stick into an LGA1150 (z97 CPU) socket, 4 DIMMs at up to DDR3-3200, dual Crossfire/SLI video if you ever want to upgrade to that, lots of SATA and USB ports, overclocking (with some special features) if you want to, and decent onboard 8-channel audio (can be configured for 7.1 all the way down to basic stereo, i.e.: headphones/headsets). Unless you specifically need something that the Maximus VII Hero has, this board will give you much more bang for your buck. It also has the exact same rating (4 eggs out of 5) as the Hero on Newegg.

$160 on newegg: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132118

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
The Asus Z97-AR is a good board on a budget. It supports anything you can stick into an LGA1150 (z97 CPU) socket, 4 DIMMs at up to DDR3-3200, dual Crossfire/SLI video if you ever want to upgrade to that, lots of SATA and USB ports, overclocking (with some special features) if you want to, and decent onboard 8-channel audio (can be configured for 7.1 all the way down to basic stereo, i.e.: headphones/headsets). Unless you specifically need something that the Maximus VII Hero has, this board will give you much more bang for your buck. It also has the exact same rating (4 eggs out of 5) as the Hero on Newegg.

$160 on newegg: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132118
Oh and those boards have have higher than acceptable failure-rates in our experience. Asus is getting worse and worse. I would avoid them, at least if you live here in the US. Horrible product support in and out of the channel so when you do have issues, it is a PIA to diagnose, troubleshoot, or RMA. For most of us, downtime is unacceptable. They look good though. Really look good with a couple Asus 970/980's.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?