Cry Engine on STEAM

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
Lots of companies will license software through third parties; we're just used to steam being only for games, btu they've done software licensing for a few years now, and just recently started branching out into streaming movies as well.

*EDIT* to address richard's thought: custom or contracted source licenses are typically done through a company rep who's typically responsible for managing the details of, payment for, and any auditing or support for the software.

UnderSc0re

Space Marshal
Mar 17, 2015
RSI Handle
UnderSc0re
http://store.steampowered.com/app/220980/

Huh...didn't know CryEngine was on Steam. I thought you bought it right from the company or something.

I wonder how much it costs to buy the license outright or if they even offer that as an option.
@Grakees has been in and out of it over the last few months. I think other things have kept him distracted on dedicating more time but I think he was able to load some Vanduul stuff.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Actually, Chris Roberts uses a fully sourced CryEngine from CryTek, the tools on Steam are actually a slightly limited version.

CIG has full access to the source code. The subscription version does not.

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
Actually, Chris Roberts uses a fully sourced CryEngine from CryTek, the tools on Steam are actually a slightly limited version.

CIG has full access to the source code. The subscription version does not.
This is because the Great Roberts enjoys snuggling with the Yerli's every gamescom. I hear it's nice.

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
http://store.steampowered.com/app/220980/

Huh...didn't know CryEngine was on Steam. I thought you bought it right from the company or something.

I wonder how much it costs to buy the license outright or if they even offer that as an option.
I know right ? I was thinking the same thing...for ages.

This is because the Great Roberts enjoys snuggling with the Yerli's every gamescom. I hear it's nice.
well steam means to suggest he has it, from them...bastards misleading us !

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
I know right ? I was thinking the same thing...for ages.
Last time I asked they quoted me 150k US$ for a full source code license.

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
that's not that expensive if you put it in perspective how much a game costs to make, and the fact that it's quite a vital part of the game.
I think the price changes according to scope, studio size, and expected turnover. Also the 150k meant I had to pay royalties to Crytek with my sales. For completely royalty free license I think it goes above 1.5mil.

Grakees

Rear Admiral
Nov 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Grakees
Yes, I have been in and out of the engine a bit over time - here are just a few of the pictures. The major blocker was that SC did a ton of changes which did not play nice with 1.1.3 SC and the Engine so getting it all to work was a pain. However with their newer stuff I will be back at it and doing some more fun stuff. Enjoy the little bit so far with more to come...

Attachments

UnderSc0re

Space Marshal
Mar 17, 2015
RSI Handle
UnderSc0re
Electrohull Plating Pink to make them think you're harmless, then black and yellow to let them know you're drunk.

Forgot your password?