Crying Engine

CGPepper

Comrade
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
CGP
Hey Comrades, i've installed cryengine today.
Is there anyone among us who have experience with this stuff? Like: Why is constellation transparent from the inside, why is the default material yellow, anyone who already assembled a hangar etc

Check my rad fps skillz

Reactions: Zaraphandox

Papa Malo

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2015
RSI Handle
PapaMalo
I like your hangar. Convienent ship storage plus fishing opportunities.

CGPepper

Comrade
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
CGP
Cryengine out of the box gives you a fully featured fps mode. We could probably quickly create a simple game where you have to defend your crashed constellation from swarms of vanduul

Reactions: rogesh

Sethious

Space Marshal
Staff member
Jan 1, 2014
RSI Handle
SethiousFel
Cryengine out of the box gives you a fully featured fps mode. We could probably quickly create a simple game where you have to defend your crashed constellation from swarms of vanduul
This guy, this guys gets it.

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Hey Comrades, i've installed cryengine today.
Is there anyone among us who have experience with this stuff? Like: Why is constellation transparent from the inside, why is the default material yellow, anyone who already assembled a hangar etc

Check my rad fps skillz
I could answer a lot of questions about Cryengine as I was working on physics programming a lot on my last job. However I am now working on UE and Unity on my own. I tried doing some small projects on Cryengine on my own, but their ridiculous licensing fees took it off the list for me.

I don't know how much you know about 3D modelling. I suspect that the model is transparent from the inside because they might have the interior hull as a separate model (so what you see might be the external polygons inside faces and they would seem transparent) OR the interior hasn't been assigned a proper material yet.

The yellow color could be a placeholder material for various wear n tear states of the metal panels. I expect that CIG has heavily modified the materials and the way they work.

If I see you on Mumble I can try to provide some real time guidance through some stuff.

CGPepper

Comrade
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
CGP
I could answer a lot of questions about Cryengine as I was working on physics programming a lot on my last job. However I am now working on UE and Unity on my own. I tried doing some small projects on Cryengine on my own, but their ridiculous licensing fees took it off the list for me.

I don't know how much you know about 3D modelling. I suspect that the model is transparent from the inside because they might have the interior hull as a separate model (so what you see might be the external polygons inside faces and they would seem transparent) OR the interior hasn't been assigned a proper material yet.

The yellow color could be a placeholder material for various wear n tear states of the metal panels. I expect that CIG has heavily modified the materials and the way they work.

If I see you on Mumble I can try to provide some real time guidance through some stuff.
Ye I've worked with unity and shiva3d, 3ds max for years. Should probably watch a few tutorials. materials, lighting, particles, shouldnt be a problem.
Do you think that it's possible to create a small fps fanmade minigame? Would CIG take it down for using their assets?

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Ye I've worked with unity and shiva3d, 3ds max for years. Should probably watch a few tutorials. materials, lighting, particles, shouldnt be a problem.
Do you think that it's possible to create a small fps fanmade minigame? Would CIG take it down for using their assets?
You'd have to speak with CIG about this but I suspect they would be ok if there was zero financial gain involved. However when I last used Cryengine professionaly a couple of years back, you were not allowed to create any project with the included assets (they were there as showcase material) as they were property of Crytek. You would have to create EVERYTHING from scratch even thou they were provided as an FPS minigame etc. You'd better read up on the EULA that comes with it and see if things have changed.

I'd be happy to provide any help required for such a project, with things such as programming, 3d modelling and even with motion capture as I have my own capture rig setup already at home.

Sethious

Space Marshal
Staff member
Jan 1, 2014
RSI Handle
SethiousFel
If nothing else CG you would get your name out there with a product people play. Let me know if you need help with anything as well.

CGPepper

Comrade
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
CGP
Would probably be easier to export constellation as obj, fix up the materials and build an fps in unity using store assets. Wouldn't look as pretty but manageable before FPS module release plus no1 will get spanking from crytek

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
Would probably be easier to export constellation as obj, fix up the materials and build an fps in unity using store assets. Wouldn't look as pretty but manageable before FPS module release plus no1 will get spanking from crytek
Ouch! That would DEFINATELY cause issues. Star Citizen is the pride and joy of Cryengine in a time everyone saying it was dying (because honestly it is an overpriced piece of shit compared to the other engines out there). Grabbing CIG assets and making a game in anything other than Cryengine would definately attract grief...

CGPepper

Comrade
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
CGP
But then its just unauthorized use of 1 CIG asset for a non commercial product. I am guessing that worst case scenario, they will take it down on the same day, no?

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
But then its just unauthorized use of 1 CIG asset for a non commercial product. I am guessing that worst case scenario, they will take it down on the same day, no?
Well you could use Cryengine but not Crytek assets, such as trees, guns, textures (any kind including ground), materials, various 3d models provided with the engine (unless they changed things after it was released on Steam. You have to look into it). If you used Unity (or any other engine) I'm afraid CIG would disagree since they probably have some non-circumvention agreement with Crytek on related products. You'd have to inquire with them about using their assets and this as well. Doesn't hurt to ask thou... If you get the green light to go ahead with another engine I suggest Unreal Engine.

Forgot your password?