Decoupled Landings

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Found this video while cruising through YouTube, landing ASMR. Also handy tips top to help land and look like you know what you're doing. I decided to post it after he flew a Cat into a hanger and landed it backwards at the last moment, then landed a Cutlass while not even in it...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmR-NCASsJY

Reactions: vahadar and Texelis

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
That's cool! Showed me I baby my ships too much. Going to try some heavier landings tomorrow!
My mind was blown, when he started landing the Cutlass while in a spin then just walked out the back of ship and watched it land.

Reactions: Texelis

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Well I saw a similar video a while ago (not for acrobatic landing but to agile one...) and it work well, I use this kind of tecnique as my base landing proceure...or I should sey I WAS used ot use it....
The pronblem is that this type of landing procedure with de-couple landing is not working anymore: the reason is Newton (to most son of a B you'll find in space).

Since the introduction of the new flight model that actually use gravity in a meaningfull manner all the ship while stationary use they vertical truster (Vtol or downard manuvering ones) to produce lift, problem is that as soon you'll turn de-coupled your trust doent imput a set speed to a ship but a trust to your engine and that usually couse the trust imput to the vertical truster that are keeping you up in the air to fail having your ship to slam into the ground (somethimes with damage too). This also happen on space station landing pad/hangar since they have artificail gravity on them.

The "solution" to the problem whould be that, as soon you turn de-coupled, you manually imput some trust to strafe up, and gradually reduce it to soft and smooth land, but that is not as simple as writing it since there is a rally poor fine control on the vertical power input you use.

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Well I saw a similar video a while ago (not for acrobatic landing but to agile one...) and it work well, I use this kind of tecnique as my base landing proceure...or I should sey I WAS used ot use it....
The pronblem is that this type of landing procedure with de-couple landing is not working anymore: the reason is Newton (to most son of a B you'll find in space).

Since the introduction of the new flight model that actually use gravity in a meaningfull manner all the ship while stationary use they vertical truster (Vtol or downard manuvering ones) to produce lift, problem is that as soon you'll turn de-coupled your trust doent imput a set speed to a ship but a trust to your engine and that usually couse the trust imput to the vertical truster that are keeping you up in the air to fail having your ship to slam into the ground (somethimes with damage too). This also happen on space station landing pad/hangar since they have artificail gravity on them.

The "solution" to the problem whould be that, as soon you turn de-coupled, you manually imput some trust to strafe up, and gradually reduce it to soft and smooth land, but that is not as simple as writing it since there is a rally poor fine control on the vertical power input you use.
Like everything...everything is subject to change.

Forgot your password?