Disney fails to have discrimination lawsuit dismissed

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
There was talk for a long time afterward of bringing her back for Rangers of the New Republic. Both Favraeu and Filoni love her. I think though, she decided it would not be safe so long as Kathleen Kennedy was there. Kennedy really holds a severe animus for her.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
While I hate seeing people get eviscerated over personal opinion, people have to realize that speaking your mind can have negative repercussions by now. You can say whatever you want in person, but putting something in writing online can be good or bad. Sometimes people write something that elevates their status. Sometimes it wrecks them. Either way, the internet is forever now. Things you write now can be dredged up decades later and used to burn you at the stake.

Do I think it's right? No. I think humanity needs to risk offending each other. I think that's normal and okay. It is near impossible to communicate effectively without risking miscommunication, offense, or even accidental insult. I firmly believe it's what happens after the offending communication that makes a person either nice or an a$$hole. Unfortunately, not everyone shares my opinion. The reality is, we live in a society where people are just waiting to take offense. That is never so true as it is with someone that has any form of fame. So while it sucks to see it all go down like this, you really gotta know by now that your statements can and will be used against you.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Unfortunately in this case, Gina was discriminated against for things all her coworkers were doing. They all post on social media. To make matters worse, the message behind the “offending” post is one we should all get behind. She was reminding people that the hatred that turned the Germans into the Nazis did not all happen at once, and was not official at first. It was an infectious mind virus that turned neighbors and family members against each other long before the Nazis started rounding people up and putting them in camps to be murdered.

She was completely correct. So who wants to stand up and be counted as opposed to this anti-hate message? No one, unless they can obscure the actual message here.

Disney’s real problem is they can no longer hide what it is they objected to. It’s going to court so unless they buy her off, everyone is going to see and hear exactly what Kathleen Kennedy was punishing.

Disney is in for real shit.

• o7
Reactions: Daak Gelrin

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Disney argued in front of U.S. District Judge Sherilyn Peace Garnett that the studio had the right to sever its relationship with Carano because she did not espouse viewpoints that the company agreed with. According to THR, the judge stated that the First Amendment could not be used as a shield to potentially violate discrimination laws. Carano is arguing that in firing her she was discriminated against and that the studio violated California labor laws in terminating her.
What a weird, weird interpretation of free speech. "Her speech wasn't to our liking so the 2nd amendment should allow us to discriminate against her."

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The media is eating itself here. Gina’s plight is picking up supporters for her which is surprising because the drones were clearly instructed to hate on her a couple years ago. Now, much of the plain vanilla media that usually just cheers however they’re told, are asking questions.

Apparently some are questioning whether they’re supposed to feel sympathetic toward Disney for discriminating. Some are asking if they’re supposed to feel sympathetic toward the creepy witches, and are not cool with that. People are questioning if they’re supposed to hate on the Jedi and are not cool with that. People who hated on Carano two years ago, are hearing Dave Filoni’s wife hated on Gina, and they’re posting pics of Mrs. Filoni holding a mug that says “Drink coffee, hail Satan”. Creepy past words.

1718624503114.png

How did the Acolyte get mixed up with the Carano firing? Are we really supposed to be sympathetic with the creepy witches? I didn’t get that. I guess we’ll see this week. Plainly, reports of review bombing still have no substance. People do not like this show. People do not like what was done to Gina. And it seems people don’t like calls to hail Satan on instagram.

Audience approval on Rotten Tomatoes still falling, and now at 15%. No evidence of review bombing according to plain vanilla media sources in support of the show. I guess they look at IP addresses to determine if reviews are authentic? Anyone know about this?

Last edited:

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Not going to get into it all, but this little sketch by Jimmy Carr really hits home

View: https://youtu.be/oZmoNVBZ0EA?feature=shared

I think it's time we stop trying to find all the bad in others and trying to find ways we can dislike them, and instead, we should try to find the good in people. While there are some things that can't be taken back (felony crimes like murder for instance), defining people by just a few moments of their life and ruining their lives over just a small moment in time. Honestly, why even spent the energy to be mad and trying to convince everyone else that you are right to be mad, just move on if they have offended you that much.

Shadow, you seem to have a hatred for Disney. I don't know what they did to you personally, but if you don't like them that much, then just stop buying their products, watching their movies, and subscribing to their services and be done with them. Your continued attacks on them and how they ruined Star Wars just gives them more publicity and for every person you convince you are right, you might be convincing 2 more that they should give Disney a shot. Vote with your wallet and that will speak louder than words every can.

Reactions: Aramsolari

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Well Thalstan, I can understand why you feel that way but I will refer you to the thread about Ahsoka just a few months back where I posted with equal vigor in defense of the project. It’s not about hating Disney except yeah, it’s about hating Disney.

I love the Ahsoka character and like the project, save that I am annoyed they made Ezra Bridger a tiny sliver of the character he was in Rebels. I fought just as hard to support that project as to shame this one, and against stronger opponents. Richard Bong shared a LOT of penetrating insights and piercing comments in that thread, and I’m learning he knew some things about Dave Filoni I had not appreciated.

But, this whole approach is flawed. You can’t think reasonably about a discussion without looking at the substance of the discussion. Ask yourself, “does it really matter if entertainment tries to convince people there is no real difference between right and wrong?” Or ask “is it okay for the entertainment industry to sell this ideological baggage that good and evil are moral equivalents?” Or ask “do values really matter?” Or ask “so what’s wrong with shitting on Luke Skywalker, and pretending you didn’t?” It’s like asking if tearing down statues of heroes like Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln is okay. There’s actually a right answer. It’s not okay.

I grant you, pretending value’s don’t matter is easier. Pretending that when a sick little girl wants us to all pretend she’s a boy, is okay; when it’s really just laziness and cowardice, and callousness that does that. It’s lack of real caring actively leads to much greater suffering in the world; that’s not okay.

So sorry but I object. The world is going bat shit crazy and I have spine enough to point it out. So should you. This is not like any other generation. This is cultural suicide. That’s not okay.

As a society, we need to prefer good over evil. Patience is good. Tolerance is good. Patience and tolerance for the idea that evil is acceptable—that’s very far from okay. Note here I’m not picking on any particular evil that we might disagree about in our very pluralistic culture. I’m talking about the very notion of evil. It is never going to be okay to imply or assert that evil is okay. And, this is the very subject of The Acolyte. So. . .this is not a time to sit on one’s hands and pretend cowardice is virtue. It is not.

I’ll tell you the kind of thing in The Acolyte that should scare the shit out of all of us.

In one of the interviews, the young actor who plays the Jedi Yord says “the thing about Star Wars is it shows us that good and evil are just a matter of perspective.”

Now forget a moment that he is stupid enough to have insisted twice that Anakin Skywalker blew up the Death Star and killed millions of people. He’s an idiot. We get that. Let’s look past that.

He seems to be saying that protecting a planet of civilians by destroying a space station filled with crazed military, is only right based upon perspective. He’s giving an illustration of the principle that right and wrong are only a matter of perspective, and stating this is the true message behind Star Wars.

I’m hoping you understand how fucked up this notion is, and how many billions of people are going to die if it ever becomes popular. This is much like how we got WWII. This isn’t some simple game of semantics. It’s really fucking important. If you don’t agree, I strongly urge you to read up on the Weimar Republic—the people who caused WWII. They believed crazy shit just like this, and 55 million people died.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daak Gelrin
Forgot your password?