Doroni

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I’ve been following these kinds of personal flight solutions for half century. Growing up outside NYC, where several millions commute each work day into the Big Apple, and as a part of the transit industry, I’ve always seen the use case for wealthy execs who take a train and therefore have about four hours commute each day. Who wouldn’t want to replace that with twenty minutes in and twenty out? All you need is a heliport atop your building (there are dozens) and the right kind of ride.

The Doroni has a lot going for it. Maybe more than they know. NASA designed a superconducting ducted fan for this kind of application almost twenty years ago. The benefit is in part that it’s more efficient but electric motors are all pretty efficient. The big advantage is you reclaim all the wasted space at the center of the fan, because the motor is in the duct. They’re about 15% higher thrust than this solution, so they’d pick up higher top speed and about 20 additional miles of range.

And, those Italians, man every time they design an aircraft it is just beautiful. I think beauty is held in higher esteem in Italian engineering circles than here in the very pragmatic US.

Who would not want this parked in the back yard?

View: https://youtu.be/YqXCHkByZKY?si=SxZuLlyFCy6RbRrg

Reactions: Sky Captain and FZD

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
The current estimated cost is US$3-400,000.
Geezh! I hope it's closer to $3 dollars than $400,000.

Reactions: Sky Captain

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
"Breaking news! Drowsy CEO reanacts 9/11 on his way to work! Was it the lack of coffee, sanity, or coke? more at 9"

I don't see an issue with these personal transport drones, they can be done, I see an issue with the people using them.
Yeah it's feasible to create automated systems to control your flight for you and make this actually rather safe, sure, but looking at much easier concepts we have way more experience with like the titanic sub imploding as predicetd not too long agi, I doubt we are there yet. Not because we don't have the tech, but because we don't have the willingness to do it right instead of doing it cheap.

Just out of curiosity, isn't the NYC airspace already cluttered with planes and choppers? Also can't you just hail a SkyUber (literally) like in Dubai?

edit: and yes that is a rather great looking design, Italians be like that. Our family owns a pre-chrysler era Quattroporte and damn it's beatuful, the Ferrari V8 sound is amazing, and the leather is sooo soft and perfect...
but my god the engineering is soooo freakin horrible lol. Just as an example, the manual states that the ECU is probably under the passenger seat in a sealed compartment safe fromt eh weather, heat and all... or it might be in the engine bay if the car was made on a particular Tuesday when it was slightly cloudy and the assembly workers didn't get their second espresso in yet...
It's in the engine bay, in what I can only describe as a flimsy tinfoil bag, literally glued to the wheel arch. Yes, that is factory. It's insane to someone like me who is used to the German logical way of placing things.

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
You think that’s bad, back in the day, I owned an MGB. That had a 12V electrical system with all the lights on the left side on one circuit and all on the right on another. It had two 6V batteries in series, one under each front seat and two carburetors that needed to be vacuum tuned to each other with a proprietary tool. Fun car but crazy to work on.

As to air traffic, the US FAA has been working on a next gen air traffic control system for flying cars since the 1980’s. I think if we get these things certified FAA will have a way to manage them. If not a LOT of people need to get fired.

• o7
Reactions: Lorddarthvik
Forgot your password?